Texas Hunting Forum

Making some more sausage.....

Posted By: skinnerback

Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 04:52 AM

My big baby girl rinsing casings..She's my best helper in the kitchen. Her brother is more focused on football and his girlfriend. grin

Meat ground/mixed/ready to stuff...this is a mild batch so that my little ones will like it. Spicy to come later....

Stuffed, and will chill in the fridge until I knock the dust off the smokehouse manyana...

Only made a small batch this time (25 lbs). Wanted to make 50 but lost my help. My oldest boy is about to leave for college and the kids & their cousins wanted to go watch movies so, OK....I'll just do 25 lbs of breakfast sausage tomorrow with the rest. Didn't really want to fire up the smokehouse for just 25 lbs but oh well. Wanted to send a cooler of sausage & other things with him. More pics to come......
Posted By: BigCohiba

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 12:09 PM

Looks awesome. grill
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 03:16 PM

food
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 03:56 PM

I don't know how you are set for weapons....but that girl is a sweetie.....beautiful young lady (thank God I had boys)......anything I have (guns, knives, spears, large rocks, etc.) that you might use to intimidate any young gentlemen into treating her with respect and admiration she deserves is yours for the asking....

All kidding aside.....You have a some wonderful kids Sir! up They are blessed to have a man like you as their father....

....sausage looks great too.... food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 04:01 PM

food
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 04:37 PM

grill

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I don't know how you are set for weapons....but that girl is a sweetie.....beautiful young lady (thank God I had boys)......anything I have (guns, knives, spears, large rocks, etc.) that you might use to intimidate any young gentlemen into treating her with respect and admiration she deserves is yours for the asking....

All kidding aside.....You have a some wonderful kids Sir! up They are blessed to have a man like you as their father....

....sausage looks great too.... food

Thanks brother, I appreciate that. As far as weapons...well, I'll just say there's a few around. grin I actually just picked up a new carry gun in 45 ACP, love this gun.

Bout to fire up the smokehouse, more pics to come....

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 09:35 PM

In they go. I have GOT to build a sausage table so I have more room to work with and can measure length/weight better, I was off on a few. Bothers me that they're not the same length but oh well.

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
In they go. I have GOT to build a sausage table so I have more room to work with and can measure length/weight better, I was off on a few. Bothers me that they're not the same length but oh well.

They'll all eat the same, one bite at a time! Looks great! I'm making a 1 lb test batch tomorrow to judge some spices, then will make 40lbs next weekend.

I need a great jalapeno-cheddar link sausage recipe, if anybody has one.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 10:43 PM

Making sausage??

You guys must be cleaning out the freezer getting ready for deer season.

Looks great, but I usually wait for cooler weather. I must say, that batch is making me envious & has got me thinking!

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

They'll all eat the same, one bite at a time! Looks great! I'm making a 1 lb test batch tomorrow to judge some spices, then will make 40lbs next weekend.

I need a great jalapeno-cheddar link sausage recipe, if anybody has one.

I use AC Legg's Old Plantation seasoning and add to it. I like it a lot. What I've done in the past, is use that brand of seasoning and added to it minced garlic/butchers grind black pepper/Hungarian Smoked Paprika/fresh minced jalapenos/high temp cheese. I have not yet added regular cheddar out of fear of it melting too much but I plan on doing so soon....and thank you.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: pertnear
Making sausage??

You guys must be cleaning out the freezer getting ready for deer season.

Looks great, but I usually wait for cooler weather. I must say, that batch is making me envious & has got me thinking!

roflmao No Sir/Ma'am...I make sausage year round. When I run out I make more, even if it's 100 degrees. If it's cold enough out I prefer to do most of the dirty work outside. If not, I do it in the kitchen. There are a number of things I like to cook that require a good quality smoked pork sausage. Nothing I have ever found in any store can come close to the flavor of a good homemade smoked sausage....so come snow/sleet/burning heat I gettrdone! grin

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/20/16 11:28 PM

I've got a BUNCH of Nilgai meat coming and am about to make a bunch more. I have estimated my smokehouse to be able to handle 100-120 lbs of rings at a time, about to put her to the test. up

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 01:00 AM

I've got a BUNCH of Nilgai meat coming and am about to make a bunch more. I have estimated my smokehouse to be able to handle 100-120 lbs of rings at a time, about to put her to the test. up
flehan
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 01:21 AM

I can get you an address to send those imperfect ones too. food

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 01:55 AM

Gettin' some color, few more hours to go. food

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 01:56 AM

How long does it take to smoke them? Do you have a time or internal temp or just based on experience? Looks great Sir!

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
How long does it take to smoke them? Do you have a time or internal temp or just based on experience? Looks great Sir!

I pull them and put them into a quick ice bath when the internal temp hits 152-153 (another good use for the big coolers - straight out of shack & into cooler bath and I think the YETI coolers make them taste better grin) . I have probes in the sausages on both sides and monitor them. Through experience with this smoke shack I have learned that 6-8 hrs of hickory smoke is perfect for my liking. Smoke time slows down some when it's cold & windy out but the shack is insulated SS so does pretty well regardless. 45 min to 1 1/2 hrs low heat/with fan going/no smoke to get the casings where I want them. Then start pumping smoke and ramping up temp. After a quick ice bath I bring them in the house and air dry under a fan, then put them in the fridge overnight & package/freeze the next day. I like to let the smoked sausages get cold in the fridge overnight before vacuum packing because they will constrict more when they get cold. When I bag I want a tight seal - NO air.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 03:39 AM

Still trucking. This is the fattiest sausage I've ever made, curious to see if I'm gonna like it or not. I don't like fatty sausage.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 07:27 AM

Done and drying. Test batch in the oven. Will wait before I judge.

Posted By: don k

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 12:19 PM

You do a real good looking sausage. Probably tastes as good as it looks.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 02:02 PM

As much as I agree, Don, I would never tell a man how good his sausage looks! roflmao

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
You do a real good looking sausage. Probably tastes as good as it looks.

Thanks Don. It turned out ok, but I like feral pork mixed with bacon better. I've always used feral pork cut with just the right amount of bacon but am out of meat right now, so I used domestic pork butts this time. Flavor isn't the same and it's a little too fatty for me. I don't like a real greasy sausage.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
As much as I agree, Don, I would never tell a man how good his sausage looks! roflmao

grin

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 07:26 PM

I like it much better fried up crispy in a skillet, pretty darn good!

Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 10:54 PM

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread, I'm starving and that looks amazing! Skinner, I am so jealous of that insulated SS chamber you used for your smoker. I wish I could find the same thing for myself. Where did you come across yours?

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread, I'm starving and that looks amazing! Skinner, I am so jealous of that insulated SS chamber you used for your smoker. I wish I could find the same thing for myself. Where did you come across yours?

Thanks, I love this thing. It's a used commercial food warmer. I was getting ready to build a wooden smoke shack when I happened to come across this guy that had it for sale. Asked what he wanted for it and he said $100. eek2 I couldn't pull out my wallet fast enough. roflmao Homemade bacon is next!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 11:33 PM

Need to make a batch of andouille soon.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Yessr. Boudin is also on my upcoming menu, already bought the seasoning.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/21/16 11:47 PM

Where do you get your seasoning?

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/22/16 12:11 AM

Where do you get your seasoning?

I order from Allied Kenco Sales in Houston, they have a huge selection.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/22/16 04:55 PM

Looks great man, was going to ask if you ever put bacon in it, love it with smoked bacon. Did you post the build on your smokehouse one time? Build from plans? Thinking of building one this fall/winter.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/22/16 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres
Looks great man, was going to ask if you ever put bacon in it, love it with smoked bacon. Did you post the build on your smokehouse one time? Build from plans? Thinking of building one this fall/winter.

Thanks. Yes Sir, I posted the build but it's been a good while back. The only plans I had were in my head.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/22/16 06:14 PM

That's a fine lookin sausage you got there skinner bolt

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/22/16 06:20 PM

roflmao
Posted By: PMK

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/22/16 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
That's a fine lookin sausage you got there skinner bolt

signature worthy ... roflmao

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 12:19 AM

Bagging "shaw shaw" as my youngest Son used to call it, before he became this higher educated Kindergartner and learned how to better pronounce words and stuff. roflmao

To the freezer, until next time......

Posted By: PMK

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 01:26 PM

up are you using a pre-mix sausage seasoning or making up your own?
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1

I can get you an address to send those imperfect ones too. food

Sorry they are already spoke for. banana2

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
up are you using a pre-mix sausage seasoning or making up your own?

I use Old Plantation (pre mix) seasoning and add to it.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 03:40 PM

dried sausage? whats your process after stuffing?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 05:05 PM

Its not dried, its fresh sausage that has been brought up to temp for food safety reasons. Never knew there were so many ways to make sausage until I ventured onto the WWW. I always assumed everyone did it the way my grandpa did, but not so.

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/23/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
dried sausage? whats your process after stuffing?

Like RC said, it's not dried...it's smoked and brought up to a "safe to eat" temperature, but the fat is not rendered yet. Same as the smoked sausage you buy at the grocery store, only better. After stuffing, I let mine hang out in the fridge overnight for the cure & seasoning to marry. Then the next morning I hang in the smoke house with temp barely on & a fan going so to get the casings where I want them (tacky to dry), then I start pumping the smoke and slowly raise temp until the internal sausage temp is 152. Then I pull and put in a quick ice bath to stop the cooking process, then bring into house to fan dry & finish cooling. Then back in fridge for one more night, then package & freeze the next day. The reason I put back in fridge for another night is because I want the sausage to get cold and constrict good before packaging = less air bubbles/pockets = less freezer burn. All you have to do then is heat it up or "cook" it (render the fat). Throw in the oven or on the pit/grill. When your sausage swells up it's ready. Or slice it up & pan fry. This batch spent 8 1/2 hrs in smoke. I really like what a good smoked sausage does to gumbos, sauce piquants, beans etc....

Like RC said, there are different ways to do it for sure. up

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/24/16 01:50 AM

Some sausage I cold smoke, some i hot smoke and some i leave fresh. Just depends on the type.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/24/16 04:08 AM

Some sausage I cold smoke, some i hot smoke and some i leave fresh. Just depends on the type.

Same here. Like to have a verity for different uses
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/24/16 05:10 AM

Those are some mighty fine looking links Skinner food

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/24/16 10:37 AM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/25/16 02:24 PM

Pure suppleness!
Posted By: LReichardt

Re: Making some more sausage..... - 08/28/16 01:56 AM