Texas Hunting Forum

How to split a whole hog ?

Posted By: WNPHNTR

How to split a whole hog ? - 08/11/16 01:24 AM

I'm going to smoke a whole pig this weekend, and I've always left them "as is" and spread their legs out as far as I can and put them on.
What is the best way to split them, if you can, without breaking the skin so they will lay flat on the grate.
Do you cut down one side of the backbone, or go down the middle of it?? Thanks.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/11/16 02:22 AM

Never done it to spread a hog but I cut along the spine and ball of the rib bones inside the ribcage when I am removing ribs whole....just put pressure on the rib bones by pulling it open and cut along the ball joint....work your way down.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/11/16 02:15 PM

When I have done it before I cut the ribs on both sides of the spine so it splays out and I also crack the pelvis.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/11/16 08:16 PM

Hatchet and a hammer.
Posted By: rickym

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/11/16 10:10 PM

Wrap plastic around dirty hammer, smack em on the top side of the pelvis to break it
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/11/16 10:26 PM

Lots of videos on Youtube you can watch. I prefer to use a saw (hand or battery pack reciprocating), score the bones good (close to spine) and then snap them open with pressure. Skin on back stays intact. Rinse out bone dust and you are ready to season and cook.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/12/16 12:42 AM

I think I'm going to go with the DeWalt reciprocating saw with a demolition blade on it and go down both sides of the spine, then take a hatchet and place it on the pelvic bone and tap it with a hammer, just like I do on deer.
It was really the spine part I was curious about.
Thanks guys!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/12/16 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: WNPHNTR
I think I'm going to go with the DeWalt reciprocating saw with a demolition blade on it and go down both sides of the spine, then take a hatchet and place it on the pelvic bone and tap it with a hammer, just like I do on deer.
Thanks guys!

I use a cordless DeWalt, just be careful not to cut too deep. Cut, crack, rinse, rub, cook. up It'll lay flat.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: How to split a whole hog ? - 08/15/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: WNPHNTR
Thanks guys!

That's what I do. If you can find a "rescue" blade, that's what I use. It's designed to go through anything. Our Lowe's and Homey Desperate here both carry them.

edited to add: You only need to go down one side of the spine. It'll lay flat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum