Texas Hunting Forum

sweet brisket rub

Posted By: B Razorback

sweet brisket rub - 08/09/16 07:08 PM

Well my sister just got back from a hunting safari in South Africa so I thought I would cook her favorite meal to welcome her back. Her favorite is ribs and sweet brisket. I have the rub for my ribs figured out but I was hoping y'all could help me with a sweet brown sugar brisket rub that I could use for tomorrow! I will be smoking everything in my backyard tomorrow! Any ideas or recommendations?
Posted By: Cast

Re: sweet brisket rub - 08/09/16 07:46 PM

Purée a can of chipotle. Clean up the brisket, trim it and rinse it well then dry. Rub it with a little kosher salt and set aside in a large pan. Dump half a bag of dark brown sugar in a large bowl. Add SPG or Montreal seasoning until the taste of the SPG is noticed in the taste of the rub. Now grab a basting brush and paint one side liberally with the chipotle purée and then pack in the dry rub until it will hold no more. Flip the brisket and put it on the smoker seasoned side down, make it the lean side. Now paint and season the fat side. Smoke it at 190 for several hours, depending on wood. Mesquite needs a lot less time. I use oak for heat and pecan and hickory for smoke. I might finish it on mesquite for an hour max but not needed. Now bring it inside and triple wrap in different directions with HD wide foil for three layers. Put it in a large pan and in the oven at 225. Go to bed. In morning wake up to wonderful smells coming from kitchen. Turn off oven, remove brisket pan and set aside. Let it rest, there is a steam explosion inside. Leave it in the pan to capture the drippings and pierce the top carefully. Don't get burned. Slit the end and drain the drippings into a saucepan. Save these for a glaze or a sauce, your choice. Carefully slide the brisket into another large pan with foil in it ready to rewrap for the fridge. The brisket must be handled carefully at this point as it wants to shred. Put it In the fridge overnight. In the morning it will be ready to slice and warm. Oven or smoker, again, your choice. Expect a sweet, slightly hot, pecan smoke taste. Serve it with the drippings fixed up your way. Good eating!
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: sweet brisket rub - 08/09/16 09:31 PM

Cast, just reading what you wrote and I'm hungry dab nab it. Got to go warm up some pulled brisket and make a samwich.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: sweet brisket rub - 08/18/16 02:39 PM

Have made several just salt and black pepper and then and few hours before its though cooking sprinkle with some brown sugar that came out great with a little sweet taste.
Posted By: LReichardt

Re: sweet brisket rub - 08/28/16 01:58 AM

Don't forget the mustard rub before the spices go on.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: sweet brisket rub - 09/14/16 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: LReichardt
Don't forget the mustard rub before the spices go on.

I believe the chipotle puree does the same thing as a mustard rub.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: sweet brisket rub - 09/14/16 08:43 PM

The good is super sweet and good http://www.specialshit.com/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum