Texas Hunting Forum

Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit

Posted By: whitewing maniac

Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/19/16 05:57 PM

Do I need to marinade or brine well before I grill to get toughness out?
Or just season it and slap it on pit?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/19/16 06:13 PM

Assuming you're talking about cotton tails. Growing up I just seasoned and threw on the pit, or grill, or roasted on a stick over a camp fire. I always liked it, but pretty dry. Later in life I started marinating then brining them. Brining is good, but I prefer marinating them. My marinade is always a little different, but I got to where I really like a citrus marinade on them. Orange juice is my favorite, add a little Worchestershire and Cholula hot sauce. Marinate at least over night, then remove and dust with seasoning of your choice, and grill. I like to lightly glaze them with strawberry preserves right before they are done. Give THAT a shot. food
Posted By: Casey Borgers

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/19/16 06:58 PM

Definitely brine it. I double cook rabbit. It works for squirrel too. I chicken fry the quarters and then stew them with root vegetables - onion, potatoes, carrots. Usually use water with one of those onion soup packets. Stew for about an hour and a half adding the veggies in the second half. tasty.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/19/16 08:21 PM

He's asking about grilled rabbit.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/19/16 10:36 PM

If you are grilling an older rabbit, parboil the rabbit in salted water until it is not quite fork tender first. You made need 45 minutes to an hour if it's a tough rabbit. Then apply whatever seasoning or sauce you like and then grill. A young rabbit might be ok right on the grill without parboiling.
Don't throw out the water when your done. It is a great stock for soup or gumbo.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/20/16 12:10 AM

Another super simple one that has always worked pretty good for me on squirrel/rabbit is to marinade overnight in Kraft zesty italian dressing. Season the way you like it before grilling.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/20/16 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Another super simple one that has always worked pretty good for me on squirrel/rabbit is to marinade overnight in Kraft zesty italian dressing. Season the way you like it before grilling.

Never did this for rabbit but I have on a tough old buck. Cut the meat into cubes, marinated it in Italian dressing for 24 hours, and cooked it over coals as a kabob. It came out excellent! Very tasty and tender.

Another option is fresh, crushed pinapple. The acid and enzymes in the pinapple tenderize the meat. Put the meat and crushed pinnaple in a ziplock in the fridge overnight. Canned pinapple won't work though. The enzymes are cooked out in the canning process.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Needing good recipe for grilled rabbit - 07/20/16 04:32 AM

Temperature monitoring is your friend whenever you do any grilling.
When the internal temp reaches 160, its done. Any hotter and you'll dry it and make it tough. A digital temperature probe is your friend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum