Texas Hunting Forum

Refried beans

Posted By: bill oxner

Refried beans - 07/03/16 10:52 PM

I've never seen refried beans discussed anywhere on this forum. I love them. I had them on my nachos tonight. They are great for thickening sauces, bean juice, and chili.

Ever use them? Favorite brand? Favorite dish?
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Refried beans - 07/03/16 11:54 PM

They are excellent, best I've had are homemade and cooked with real snow cap lard in the mix.
Mother in law uses a blender to get them to the right consistency due to her arthritis. Again the Morrel lard is the game changer!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Refried beans - 07/04/16 01:38 PM

we only make refrieds out of homemade beans cant stand the can crap.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Refried beans - 07/04/16 02:09 PM

Make them all the time, homemade. I use bacon grease instead of lard. I like to add a little black pepper, garlic powder, and a dash a cumen.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Refried beans - 07/04/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Make them all the time, homemade. I use bacon grease instead of lard. I like to add a little black pepper, garlic powder, and a dash a cumen.

This.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Refried beans - 07/04/16 04:08 PM

Lard is what frijoles want but bacon drippings won't hurt. I would use lard primarily.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Refried beans - 07/05/16 06:46 PM

HELLO>>>>> my phone never rang when you were making this......... confused2
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Refried beans - 07/05/16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Dunk

HELLO>>>>> my phone never rang when you were making this......... confused2

grin
Posted By: PMK

Re: Refried beans - 07/05/16 10:04 PM

I like pretty much any kind of beans ... a lady that used to work in our cafeteria started making refried beans for breakfast but they were pretty blah and she knew it, so she started playing around with jazzing them up. She chopped up some bacon, onions, jalapeno, plus a little oil (not sure what kind), salt & pepper and re-fried a bit more until the onions started to get soft. This totally changed the flavor profiles and made them some of the best re-fried beans I have ever eaten.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Refried beans - 07/12/16 03:00 PM

I really like refried black beans. Very rarely make them, but have no issues with the canned variety. A little smear of some black refried beans on a chip with some pulled pork, sautéed onion and some jalapenos and cheese is about as good as it gets.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum