Texas Hunting Forum

Do anything special with pork butt roast?

Posted By: Wilhunt

Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 12:23 AM

Do you do anything particular when smoking a pork butt roast/ seasoning o rub?
Thanks
Posted By: Tres

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 02:03 AM

Brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion & garlic powder for the rub, smoke low and slow til you can pull the bone out. I do a "candied" pork butt occasionally with brown sugar rum and steens at the end.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Tres
Brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion & garlic powder for the rub, smoke low and slow til you can pull the bone out. I do a "candied" pork butt occasionally with brown sugar rum and steens at the end.

Very similar to what I do....key is to cook low and slow..... woot

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 02:33 AM

Thanks guys, Tres and SnakeWrangler should be good on the 4th.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 03:07 PM

I've never done a pork butt but want to sometime soon. Are yall smoking it similar to a brisket? Approximately an hour per pound and around 225*?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 05:03 PM

Season it up and drop in crock pot with can of chipotle. The smoke is in the chilis.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 06:54 PM

Salt, pepper, garlic, some chili powder and paprika cumin and brown sugar is what I usually put on them.

Low and slow is always good. I have found you can apply more heat to a pork but and still be good than a brisket. Usually I smoke mine for several hours and then put it in the oven and take a nap.

Pull and serve with sauted onion, make great tacos, nachoes, or my favorite sliders on kings Hawaiian rolls.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 07:33 PM

Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, brown sugar...light coat of olive oil, rub the meat down and season liberally. 250-275 on the pit, smoke it fat side up until you see the fat cap split. I usually let mine go a little longer after it splits, then wrap in foil and usually another 4-5 hrs is plenty. Let it rest and rip it apart.

redchevy is right, PP with fresh coleslaw on kings Hawaiian rolls is awesome.

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
I've never done a pork butt but want to sometime soon. Are yall smoking it similar to a brisket? Approximately an hour per pound and around 225*?

I have a chart that indicates 49 minutes per lb. at 225 degrees. Will know in a few days.

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Season it up and drop in crock pot with can of chipotle. The smoke is in the chilis.

Yes sir that is an option. The old crock pot always comes through when needed.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 06/28/16 09:06 PM

Too hot for me to grill or smoke. I got two brisket and a pork loin waiting for some coolness.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 07/25/16 10:02 PM

I like to rub in some Franks hot sauce and apple cider vinegar. Then smoke it about 4 hours. I wrap it with foil after adding 8 ounces of beer and put it in the over at 220 over night. Comes out perfect every time.
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 07/28/16 02:47 AM

I rub mine down with cavenders, wrap and refrigerate over night. Plop it on a 265 degree pit for 4 hours with about 10 hatch chilies laying on top of it for the last hour. Remove the chilies, set aside for later, wrap and throw in oven at 265 till bone pulls. Throw it into a foil pan with the chilies and pull it, making sure to mix those smoked chilies in.

Thats happening again this weekend.

I do carnitas style tacos with them.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Do anything special with pork butt roast? - 07/28/16 06:38 PM

Pecan wood to smoke!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum