Texas Hunting Forum

Smoked Ribeye

Posted By: ZK-315

Smoked Ribeye - 06/27/16 05:17 PM

When we eat out, I like my ribeyes cooked medium-rare to medium, depending on the place we eat. When I'm cooking at home though, I prefer to put my ribeyes in the smoker for an hour or so around 200*. I don't use an internal thermometer so I just go by the feel of it.

When we smoke something, we typically get enough meat for the week and smoke it all at once. Sometimes if I smoke the steaks longer than an hour, I'll start stacking them on top of each other so they don't dry out. I'll check them from time to time, and rotate the top steak to the bottom. Keep rotating the top steak to the bottom until they have all had a chance to be up top. This helps keep the steaks nice and juicy as the juices just slowly move from the upper steaks to the lowers.

Anyone else like to smoke their ribeyes instead of the traditional grilled steak?
Posted By: Tres

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 06/28/16 02:14 AM

Try smoking it to rare and then searing to MR, thicker the better on the steak.
Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 06/30/16 03:09 AM

Never thought of smoking a rib eye, gonna have to try that. I tried smoking a sirloin after eating it a Texas land and cattle. That is good eating there. What do you use for the smoke? Mesquite, oak, etc.?
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 06/30/16 03:16 AM

I had a steak this past weekend, the guy seared the rib eye for about 2 minutes on each side then put it off to the side to smoke. He had some nice smoker wood (hickory I think). Man that was a good piece of meat.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 06/30/16 03:58 AM

To me cherry compliments beef and venison perfectly
Posted By: Tres

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 06/30/16 04:10 AM

Smoked this one with oak and mesquite, then seared it hard for 2 minutes on both sides, killer.
[img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/bookerwine/th_20160215_200648_zpszjdkayim.mp4[/img]
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 06/30/16 12:13 PM

Texas Land and Cattle has smoked sirloin for $18 on the Sunday Menu only.

It comes with 4 course including desert, I take the wife there on Sunday and we just split the meal, plenty of food for 2 people.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/02/16 08:42 PM

I usually just grill them over mesquite wood, about the same thing, I did smoke some sirloins a few weeks ago, they were tasty!

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/05/16 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: texas_sooner
Never thought of smoking a rib eye, gonna have to try that. I tried smoking a sirloin after eating it a Texas land and cattle. That is good eating there. What do you use for the smoke? Mesquite, oak, etc.?

I typically smoke with pecan wood. This last time all I had on hand was Oak. IMO it wasn't as good as the pecan. Not sure if it was the wood, or if its due to me just figuring out this new pit. confused2
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/06/16 12:28 AM

Back when I was in the restaurant business, we would smoke a whole prime rib for an hour at 225. Then slice off the cut and finish it on a mesquite grill to temp spec. The tit end of the prime is actually the ribeye and that is really good!
Posted By: Tritonman

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/09/16 04:58 PM

I like to do a nice reverse sear

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/09/16 06:50 PM

I'd hit that, hard!

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/09/16 07:59 PM

I got a bone in ribeye I'm gonna smoke for a little while with cherry wood and then sear on a hot grill later tonight.

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/09/16 08:16 PM

I haven't had a steak in forever, now I want one. I'm a T-bone/New York Strip fan though. grin

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/10/16 01:48 AM

Well was gonna use cherry but ended up not having anymore cherry wood chips so used oak and it came out great. Smoked for 45 minutes and then about 1 1/2 minutes on each side over a hot bed of charcoal. Had to cut the potatoe in half no way I was eating all of that and the steak.

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/10/16 05:14 AM

That looks awesome Sir.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/10/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Back when I was in the restaurant business, we would smoke a whole prime rib for an hour at 225. Then slice off the cut and finish it on a mesquite grill to temp spec. Thah I tit end of the prime is actually the ribeye and that is really good!

This is the way. Learned it from Cagle Steaks in Lubbock. Especially if feeding a crowd, who may want differing thickness of steaks.

I have also just smoked steaks then frozen them, finish them on the grill later.

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/11/16 02:04 PM

That does look good Sapper. I did a couple of bone-in ribeyes the same day as the no-bone. Prepared them the same and smoked them the same. Maybe its me, but the boneless was better.
Posted By: Dropp-243

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/13/16 02:16 PM

Ima going to try it. Looks tasty

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/14/16 08:40 PM

A little off topic but how about some smoked backstrap finished off over hot coals? I could eat this every single day.

Posted By: Tritonman

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/15/16 11:10 AM

Absolutely beautiful.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/19/16 11:03 PM

food
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/20/16 12:01 AM

SON food
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/21/16 01:53 AM

So, I've been doing something different with my Ribeyes:

I LOVE LOVE Ribeyes..It's the best cut IMHO. But I also love rare meat, which doesn't lend well to a Ribeye because you need to render the fat down, otherwise you'll choke on it if you cook it rare. So I've begun doing this for a steak dinner:

Purchase meat from butcher in the morning, salt the steak when I get home and place in the fridge till 3 oclock

Blot steak clean and season with favorite seasoning, place into foodsave bag and vacuum seal

toss in deep freezer till 5 oclock

start fire @ 5 oclock and bring to 350-375 degrees

Remove steak from deep freeze/bag

Place the steak on an upper rack or away from the fire

From there I allow it to slow roast back to thawed

Then crank up the fire and sear next to heat source

I've been working with this for a bit and what I've found is that you can't get the rare "look" necessarily inside the steak because of the length of cooking time, however you'll get the texture and rare flavor. Becuase the meat is frozen while cooking it preserves the interior and allows lots of wonderful smoke flavor to develop as well as rendering the fat.

Cheers!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/21/16 02:44 PM

up sounds like a good plan ... I prefer medium rare and think this would work for that also and be a bit faster method than what I normally use which is holding vertical smoker way down, like 130-140 degrees of heavy smoke using a refrigerator chilled ribeye for ~30-45 minutes, then tossing directly over hot coals to sear for about a minute per side.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/21/16 09:03 PM

I got this one a little on the done side, but other parts of it were pinker.

Posted By: ccoker

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/22/16 08:15 PM

making me hungry!
Posted By: okie44

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/23/16 05:50 AM

Ribeyes seared then basted with garlic infused butter and smoked over Oak.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/25/16 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: okie44
Ribeyes seared then basted with garlic infused butter and smoked over Oak.

very nice... I like ribeyes done, not burnt, but not bloody either. I think that most folks cook them too hot, too fast, and leave some tenderness behind, having good luck with lower and slower...

Garlic butter is important if going slow too; don't want them dried, but helps the outer edge cook more faster
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Smoked Ribeye - 07/25/16 08:42 PM

I like Steak!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum