Texas Hunting Forum

Rubs

Posted By: bill oxner

Rubs - 04/24/16 05:30 PM

I never use store bought ready mixed rubs. I find most things in my spice rack. Do you make your own or buy ready mix rubs?
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Rubs - 04/24/16 06:13 PM

For bbq, make my own. For stuff on the grill I occasionally use premixed seasonings but I am pretty picky because a lot of them are way too sweet.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Rubs - 04/24/16 06:39 PM

I use a combination, with a spice called "Cavendars Greek Seasoning" as the base. For pork I add paprika, brown sugar, and maybe some cumin. For brisket I add extra salt. On chicken I add extra sage and salt. Pork ribs get a different rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, a little cayenne, and brown sugar. Sometimes I'll coat the ribs with yellow mustard, then cover with the rub.

Re: Rubs - 04/24/16 07:36 PM

Sometimes I use chili powder for color. It's mostly paprika and cumin.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Rubs - 04/24/16 07:40 PM

Dark brown sugar and coarse SPG To taste. Use it dry or over a chipotle paste.

Re: Rubs - 04/24/16 11:53 PM

You need color when grilling fish. I used chili powder on this.

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Rubs - 04/25/16 12:22 AM

I do both.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Rubs - 04/25/16 12:41 AM

i make my own..have never used a store bought rub
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rubs - 04/25/16 01:37 PM

I have tried dozens of store bought rubs that were given to me by various family members that swear by them. I now have a couple of shelves in my spice cabinet full of these various rubs that was used one or two times or I have given back to those that originally gave to me politely stating their rubs didn't work for me, no need to let it go to waste. I tend to go back to my own formula of mixing my own spices, mainly Black Pepper, Sea Salt, Garlic & Onion powder and smoked paprika.

There are only 2 blends that I keep on hand and use (not necessarily as a rub) and that's Fiesta Fajita Seasoning and Bill's Season All (out of San Saba).
Posted By: Tres

Re: Rubs - 04/26/16 01:29 AM

I buy some every now and then just to try new things, but generally make my own.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rubs - 04/26/16 12:38 PM

No bought rubs for me, they all cost way too much.

Most things get kosher salt black pepper and garlic. For pork or chicken on the grill I add a little chillipowder/paprika and some brown sugar.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Rubs - 04/26/16 12:42 PM

Angelos
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Rubs - 04/26/16 10:47 PM

My go to is usually Sea Salt, ground pepper and Garlic.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Rubs - 04/27/16 08:47 PM

My own or Grub Rub if I'm buying it.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Rubs - 04/28/16 01:46 PM

Prefer to make my own.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Rubs - 04/28/16 10:31 PM

My standard brisket rub is 1/3 each salt, pepper, and paprika. No complaints yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum