Texas Hunting Forum

Fresh Breakfast Sausage

Posted By: decook

Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/19/16 11:43 PM

Mrs. decook asked for 10 lbs of breakfast sausage, so I whipped up a batch that my tummy sensitive daughter can eat. It turned out great, although sightly dry for my taste because the boston butt I bought from Walmart had lower than par marbling. I chose to add 1/3 cup more water and some dry corn starch as the last ingredient.

Here's the recipe made from my sausage spreadsheet calculator

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/19/16 11:47 PM

Pork butts usually do fine.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/20/16 01:51 AM

That's a lot of numbers!

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/20/16 11:47 AM

I couldn't remember which to buy so I got the one on sale. I could tell it was going to need help when I cut it up for grinding.

Yes it's a lot of numbers. Never underengineer when over engineering is an option.. seriously though I do use this to reverse engineer recipes and to scale it to weight.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/25/16 03:39 PM

Seems like a lot of salt? If I did the math right that's 574mg per ounce of meat?

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/25/16 06:56 PM

The balance is very good even to my salt sensitive wife. When I remember I'll post up my spice recipe that is a close match to Jimmy Dean spicey.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/25/16 09:36 PM

That attachment could be a picture of a monkey F(*#ing a football for all I know.

Is "os" supposed to be ounces? which is abbreviated "oz"
Posted By: don k

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/25/16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
That attachment could be a picture of a monkey F(*#ing a football for all I know.

Is "os" supposed to be ounces? which is abbreviated "oz"
Kinda what I thought. I like "Old Plantation" seasoning for breakfast sausage. Will monkeys really do that to a football?
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Fresh Breakfast Sausage - 04/26/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: decook
I couldn't remember which to buy so I got the one on sale. I could tell it was going to need help when I cut it up for grinding.

Yes it's a lot of numbers. Never underengineer when over engineering is an option.. seriously though I do use this to reverse engineer recipes and to scale it to weight.

I like that because it's life!

But......cooking is a free form adventure for me, because that's part of the fun of it!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum