1 gallon water
2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 teaspoons kosher salt
3 garlic cloves minced
4 tablespoons pickling spice, divided
8 potatoes, peeled and quartered
Instructions

Combine the water, salt, sugar, cloves and 2 tablespoons pickling spice in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove form heat and let cool to room temperature then refrigerate until completely chilled.
Place the venison in the brine and weight it down with a plate to keep it submerged. Refrigerate for 4- 5 days.
Remove the brisket from the brine and rinse thoroughly, discard the brine. Place the brisket back in the pot and cover with water. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons pickling spice in a spice bag or cheesecloth and add to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 2 hours.
Add the peeled and quartered potatoes and continue to simmer another hour or until the meat and potatoes are fork tender.
Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and potatoes, slice the meat. Remove and discard the spice pack, reserve the broth for ladling over the meat and vegetables if desired.

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Corned Venison & Cabbage Recipe - 04/05/16 11:25 PM

That's pretty interesting. up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Corned Venison & Cabbage Recipe - 04/06/16 03:31 PM

Sounds and looks good.

Where is the Cabbage and when do you put it in the pot to cook. My guess is one large head of cabbage quartered and put in the pot for last 30 minutes or so of cooking.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Corned Venison & Cabbage Recipe - 04/06/16 06:37 PM

Made venison pastrami before. It is similar to corned beef I believe, turned out great.

Yours looks very good!
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Corned Venison & Cabbage Recipe - 04/11/16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sounds and looks good.

Where is the Cabbage and when do you put it in the pot to cook. My guess is one large head of cabbage quartered and put in the pot for last 30 minutes or so of cooking.

The cabbage goes in from the start !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum