Texas Hunting Forum

Cow vs. Pig

Posted By: redchevy

Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 03:02 PM

I have been a big fan of brisket my entire life, its easily in the running for my favorite food. I cooked a brisket and boston but for pulled pork this weekend and both came out great, but I think my world has changed. I preferred the pulled pork over the brisket and in my opinion its easier to cook than the brisket too.

Not to mention the pork but was $1/lb and the brisket was $2/lb.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 03:18 PM

I'll take the pulled pork every time.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 03:49 PM

There ain't a single thing wrong with good PP, and it is much easier than smoking a brisket, BUT, PP is just too easy, any doofus can do that!

I'm much prouder of a perfect brisket.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 05:04 PM

Pulled pork is what I grew up knowing as "bar-b-que." I've been in Texas a while (since I left the Army in '92) and smoked brisket has grown on me some. I much prefer the point to the flat, though. If the only choice is flat vs pork then the pork will win every time. If there is fat, juicy, point then I'll eat that AND the pork.

I agree that smoking a pork butt or a shoulder is pretty easy. That's one of the reasons I like it. I also do a pretty fair brisket... no one eating it has ever complained.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
Pulled pork is what I grew up knowing as "bar-b-que." I've been in Texas a while (since I left the Army in '92) and smoked brisket has grown on me some. I much prefer the point to the flat, though. If the only choice is flat vs pork then the pork will win every time. If there is fat, juicy, point then I'll eat that AND the pork.

I agree that smoking a pork butt or a shoulder is pretty easy. That's one of the reasons I like it. I also do a pretty fair brisket... no one eating it has ever complained.

No doubt I prefer the point over the flat 100 to 1. When people ask for extra lean brisket if im next in line I always tell the person ill take their extra fat food roflmao
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have been a big fan of brisket my entire life, its easily in the running for my favorite food. I cooked a brisket and boston but for pulled pork this weekend and both came out great, but I think my world has changed. I preferred the pulled pork over the brisket and in my opinion its easier to cook than the brisket too.

Welcome to Old Age!

Check back in a decade or two (to let us know that SPAM is now great (or alpo in the can)) wink
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 07:41 PM

although I don't fire up my pit as frequent as I would like, when I do, I tend to fill that baby up to later vacuum seal and freeze for later. My preferred meat of choice is beef, followed by pork and on down to fowl. I do like pulled pork, but I actually prefer smoked pork like a brisket and then sliced. Pork does tend to seem easier to smoke/cook and is by far cheaper, heck even pork loin is cheaper than the lowest priced beef as of late.

now out of curiosity, why do ya'll prefer to pull your pork over merely slicing it?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 07:44 PM

Yes, I do pull it using two forks. AND, you are correct in that smoked and sliced pork is better than PP.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 07:48 PM

I cant say I prefer it one way or the other. I have eaten it sliced as well.

This one and most of the others I have cooked are impossible to slice, just falling apart. I pulled the bone out with two fingers. I like pulled because I can eat it many different ways. I put it in breakfast tacos, make nachos and tacos. Also it seems easier to weed out some of the big chunks of fat when pulling it. I was glad I didn't have any leftovers because I didn't need to be eating that all week, but now im contemplating buying one on the way home and smoking another because I want some leftovers bang

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
... why do ya'll prefer to pull your pork over merely slicing it?

easier and holds moisture/flavor better!

yup - pork smoked with pecan wood is just divine!

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Welcome to Old Age!

Check back in a decade or two (to let us know that SPAM is now great (or alpo in the can)) wink

I just turned 30... not that old yet, but sometimes I feel like it.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 09:09 PM

No doubt I prefer the point over the flat 100 to 1. When people ask for extra lean brisket if im next in line I always tell the person ill take their extra fat food roflmao

I'm the opposite, I'm a flat man. I don't want any fat on mine just pure tender meat. Pulled pork is good but prefer feral over domestic any day. Domestic is too fatty for me. I smoked a couple domestic pork butts a few months ago and even after picking out as much fat as I could when I pulled it, was still too greasy for me. I don't know what changed but greasy pork started making me sick to my stomach a few years back. I've known a few people like you though that loved brisket fat and would go around eating everybody's. roflmao
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 09:27 PM

barf

gristle and fat

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I'm the opposite, I'm a flat man. I don't want any fat on mine just pure tender meat. Pulled pork is good but prefer feral over domestic any day. Domestic is too fatty for me. I smoked a couple domestic pork butts a few months ago and even after picking out as much fat as I could when I pulled it, was still too greasy for me. I don't know what changed but greasy pork started making me sick to my stomach a few years back. I've known a few people like you though that loved brisket fat and would go around eating everybody's. roflmao

I agree on the pork. I have made a lot of pulled pork with feral pork and do prefer it because it has less fat. I have gotten sick to my stomach eating too much pork fat.

Never got sick from fat on a brisket, but I don't eat the big gobs of it either. On a well cooked brisket there is no grissle to me, its all tender. Ill eat the flat, but if you leave me to pick the cut myself it will usually come off the point.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 10:11 PM

I agree on the pork. I have made a lot of pulled pork with feral pork and do prefer it because it has less fat. I have gotten sick to my stomach eating too much pork fat.

Never got sick from fat on a brisket, but I don't eat the big gobs of it either. On a well cooked brisket there is no grissle to me, its all tender. Ill eat the flat, but if you leave me to pick the cut myself it will usually come off the point.

I'll eat some good burnt ends now..
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/28/16 10:36 PM

if that much fatty meats causes upset stomach, likely your gall bladder not functioning properly or not secreting enough bile into your intestines to help digest the fat.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 12:18 AM

I will generally take ribs, chicken, or pulled pork over brisket.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK
if that much fatty meats causes upset stomach, likely your gall bladder not functioning properly or not secreting enough bile into your intestines to help digest the fat.

Sh!t just got real scared

Love them both, just finished up brisket tacos tonight. I like the flat after the cook, and point for leftovers.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
There ain't a single thing wrong with good PP

Hell of a sig line right there! roflmao

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

LMFAO rofl
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 12:07 PM

LMFAO rofl

clap

I prefer wild pig to beef any day.....
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 03:02 PM

A lot of people I know (especially girls) don't like pork, sausage, or whatever. Too fatty. Beef is a different matter.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 08:36 PM

I like brisket, and I like pork, but the best brisket >>>> the best pulled pork. However, brisket can be difficult to cook while pork is very forgiving.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 11:03 PM

Smoked, pulled pork, under some southern cole slaw, between a big grilled bun with a shot of home made BBQ sauce is as good as it gets.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/29/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
Smoked, pulled pork, under some southern cole slaw, between a big grilled bun with a shot of home made BBQ sauce is as good as it gets.

That's what I grew up eating.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 03/30/16 12:03 AM

LMFAO rofl
roflmao
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 04/20/16 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: retfuz

That's what I grew up eating.

You and I weren't raised too far apart.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 04/20/16 01:45 AM

No need to choose when you can have both cheers
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 04/20/16 08:19 PM

Pulled pork is much easier to smoke than a well cooked brisket. I have hard time deciding which I like better so anytime I smoke a brisket I just throw on a pork shoulder at same time so I don't have to make that decision.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 04/20/16 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres

Bingo.

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 04/21/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres

Bingo x2.

Each is Unique, and each deserves it's own spices, smoking wood selection & method, and bbq sauces to reveal & supplement their inherent natural flavors (NOT covering them up!) Same with venison.

IF you're using the same 'sauce' on all of them, you're doing it wrong (or at least not having it the best way each can be done)!

Re: Cow vs. Pig - 04/21/16 06:44 PM

Both is too much food most of the time. I think im going to smoke another pork butt this weekend... provided I can start a fire in a turd floater.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum