Texas Hunting Forum

Roasted Hog Leg, delicious

Posted By: Scottishredneck

Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/10/16 09:37 PM

Cooked myself a hog leg last night, and it turned out great, so I though I would share what I did.

Removed the leg from the hog, and placed it in the cooler for 4 days, flushing out the blood, running off the melted ice, and topping off with new ice every day.

I then took the leg out of the cooler, dried it off, and made a pan out of aluminum foil, placing the leg in the pan, on a tray. (next time I will just use a tray that is a couple of inches tall on the sides)

Then I covered the meat in olive oil, and seasoned it with equal parts of white pepper, sage, rosemary, garlic powder and onion powder. I then covered the meat with bacon, can’t go wrong with bacon, right? lol.

One of the other legs was cut up for sausage, so I taken the bone, and simmered it for a couple of hours, making a stock (this was done the day before). I took some of this stock, and placed about half an inch worth in the pan.

The pan was then sealed up with more aluminum foil, and I made as good a seal as I could, in an attempt to keep the moisture in.

Now it was time for the oven, 225 degs, for 4 hours got the meat to 170. I then turned the oven down, to minimum, 170, and left the meat there for another 4 hours. Would have been shorter, however the local bar was ‘callin me’ cheers

After removing the leg from the oven, I took a couple of cups of the stock that was in the bottom of the pan, there was now about 3 times more than what I had started with. I took a tablespoon of cornstarch, mixed that in with the stock, and heated it up to thicken.

Carved the meat and served…………..dang, I was impressed, very moist, and very flavorsome, with no gamey taste, doubt I will be making much sausage in the future. Roasted hog leg is the way to go. food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/10/16 09:44 PM

Try a cooking bag the next time. No mess at all. I use them on turkeys, ribs and butts.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/10/16 10:30 PM

I just haven't been able to buy into eating feral pigs, your recipe sounds very good but a feral pig with all the crap they eat.

I'm probably missin out , Lord knows I love to eat food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/11/16 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I just haven't been able to buy into eating feral pigs, your recipe sounds very good but a feral pig with all the crap they eat.

Your missing out, they can be great table fare when properly prepared.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/11/16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

X2. My wife much prefers wild pig over venison

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/11/16 11:53 PM

Good call Bill. Funny thing is i use bags a lot as well, ribs and brisket to name a few, sometimes even put a turkey in them lol
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/12/16 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: redchevy

X2. My wife much prefers wild pig over venison

X3. My family prefers feral pork over venison as well. I also prefer it over domestic pork.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/12/16 09:47 PM

It's all the crap they don't eat tat makes them better for you than store bought....no steroids, hormones, preservatives, etc....

Some of the best meat you can eat and lots of ways to cook it....I smoke them whole then freeze the cooked meat...thaw and eat.... food
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/12/16 10:15 PM

Try one in a crock pot, very good as well.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 12:29 AM

got a porkloin in the crock pot right now.....but it came from Tom Thumb

post some pics of the wild pigs cooking..

i'm still not sold/// clap cheers
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 01:38 AM

My wife just did up the hams from a 25 pounder in a crockpot, man that good. I caught about 30 that size last year and kept about half for myself and gave away the rest. It is hard to beat.
I am going to try Scottishredneck's way, sounds good.

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
My wife just did up the hams from a 25 pounder in a crockpot, man that good. I caught about 30 that size last year and kept about half for myself and gave away the rest. It is hard to beat.
I am going to try Scottishredneck's way, sounds good.

Those small pigs quartered in a crock pot with chicken broth/onion/garlic/seasoning is VERY hard to beat! food When they are done (falling apart), I remove the meat and most of the liquid (add back whatever is needed). Pull the bones, shred the meat, season with fajita seasoning and a little cumin, toast up some corn torts with all the fixings and make some of the best tacos on Earth. up

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 02:43 AM

got a porkloin in the crock pot right now.....but it came from Tom Thumb

post some pics of the wild pigs cooking..

i'm still not sold/// clap cheers

We eat it quite a bit....

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:17 AM

Damn you, now I'm hungry.

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:23 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:28 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:32 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:35 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:37 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:41 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:44 AM

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:49 AM

It all starts with this.

Just a few pics. I could go on. up food

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 06:11 PM

It all starts with this.

Now that range looks familiar Skinnerback, I have sent A LOT of rounds down there rifle

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:12 PM

Yes sir, me too! up

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 07:48 PM

I believe that wild pigs are the most overlooked game animal in North America....you can hunt them year round and its one of the best, most versatile, healthy meats you can find....

yingyang chef grill cheers texas

And Skinnerback is clearly a much better cook than I.... flehan flehan flehan
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 08:07 PM

What's for dinner? Great photo's.

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/13/16 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I believe that wild pigs are the most overlooked game animal in North America....you can hunt them year round and its one of the best, most versatile, healthy meats you can find....

yingyang chef grill cheers texas

up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/14/16 01:10 PM

Dang... between snake wrangler and skinner I now want to leave work and start up the pit!

Some fine looking meals gents up
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/14/16 01:15 PM

Oh hell yeah! up

yessir, low & slow is best; I've smoked mine 2hrs, then finished (8hrs) in the oven just like yours (OP).
Wife (before) was leery of game - after tasting she said dammit- kill every one you see and get'em in the freezer!!up
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/14/16 01:18 PM

what a hog eat ain't any more discustin than what a free-range chickin eat- and I don't see any of you crybabies crying about giving up chickin!!
(it all get sterilized with hydro-chloric acid anyway .....) grin

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/17/16 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

what a hog eat ain't any more discustin than what a free-range chickin eat- and I don't see any of you crybabies crying about giving up chickin!!
(it all get sterilized with hydro-chloric acid anyway .....) grin

Roger that. Even did a goggle search on what the animals eat that we buy from our local meat market, wither that be HEB, Wally World or the local place of your choice...............ye right, don't do it. Nut-in wrong with the animals we hunt and kill, compared to the feedstock trash we are sold in the stores!!!!!!
Posted By: durda1

Re: Roasted Hog Leg, delicious - 03/20/16 08:09 PM

food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum