Texas Hunting Forum

Dehydrator or electric smoker

Posted By: Normanpig

Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/12/16 02:10 AM

My dehydrator just took a dump. I use it for jerky. I have a traditional smoker I use for smoking meats. However I want to put my jerky in and go to bed or work. What's your thoughts.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/12/16 11:18 AM

Buy another dehydrator, they're not expensive. Mine is 14-15 yrs old and still running strong. American Harvest brand.....
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/12/16 02:20 PM

My MES does not do a good job for jerky. Very inconsistent.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/12/16 03:01 PM

I use a dehydrator for Jerky, then for smoke use the grill or smoker to finish it off and add some smoke flavor.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/12/16 04:55 PM

I have been running a Nesco dehydrator for awhile and it does a great job, but you cant really leave it unattended all day. I get the best results when I rotate racks periodically. The one I use can be had on amazon for less than 60 bucks I think. It uses a fan to circulate air but the top racks are closer to the fan and heat so they finish faster than the bottom racks so I just move them around accordingly. You can also buy more racks (it comes with 5 or 6) pretty inexpensively. I use liquid smoke in jerky a lot with good results. I'm a bbq snob and will be the first to admit that there is no replacement for real wood smoke but I prefer less work and I hate double the processes. My smoker is also a beast and I'd be crazy to fire it up for jerky only.

I marinade the strips of meat for 24 yo 48 hours anyway so they are packed with flavor.

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/12/16 07:36 PM

Thanks guys! I guess I will grab another dehydrator. The last one lasted 10ish years. I normally have my wife move the trays around or come home to check on mine aswell.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/13/16 01:11 AM

Smokers do a better job on jerky, provided you have a way to circulate air. Smokin-Tex has a fan that does just that. Best jerky we've ever had due to the smoky flavor.

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/13/16 05:23 AM

Those are sweet! Someday.... Looks good!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/13/16 05:42 AM

That looks great Rem. up

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/14/16 11:09 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-harvester-pro-five-tier-dehydrator/2122098.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcabelas%252Bdehydrator%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=cabelas+dehydrator

I went ahead and bought this guy.

Running a batch now......
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/14/16 11:14 PM

let us know how that works out. I'm in the market as well.

Re: Dehydrator or electric smoker - 01/21/16 06:20 PM

I love it! Timer makes it awesome. Trays could be tougher. But time will tell.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum