Texas Hunting Forum

Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky

Posted By: MathMan

Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky - 01/06/16 03:05 AM

I'm looking for a plain old salt pepper jerky recipe. No soy sauce, no garlic, no onion...just salt and pepper amounts. Please share them if you have one.

I like a lot of salt and pepper.

Maybe some cure if you have a recipe with some.

I just don't know how much salt to put.

It will be made in my dehydrator.

Deer meat.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky - 01/06/16 10:27 AM

Found these online...I'm sure there's more that you can find and modify. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Get as large a boneless butt as you can. Cut the individual muscles out of the meat and cut off and discard all the fat and connecting tissue. Cut the meat across the grain as thin as possible. 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch. The thinner the slices, the easier it will be to dry. Salt and pepper the meat generously on both sides, using more pepper than salt. Lay out the meat strips on a cake or oven rack without overlapping them. Set the rack in an insert fireplace (smoker) and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours, turning every 3 to 4 hours, until dried. You can do the same with a dehydrator or oven, but it won't turn out as good. After it’s done, store in a pillowcase. Don't STORE it in plastic, as the meat has to be able to breathe, and a paper sack will leave a paper taste.
-----
Cut beef strips 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide. String onto a piece of wire or cord. Dip into boiling brine solution (1 cup salt to 1 gallon water) until meat loses its red color. Remove beef from water and let drip dry. Hang near a fire, but not so close as to cook the beef. May be air dried or sun dried, but this takes much longer (days or weeks), and the beef must be protected from insects.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky - 01/06/16 01:10 PM

My grandfathers recipe was to soak strips of meat in water salted with pickling salt (enough to make an egg float) Role in course pepper smoke and dry.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky - 01/06/16 02:31 PM

This is for the average tastes....

Use 1 pound of salt and 1/2 cup black pepper to 50lb of meat...

translates to use 1 ounce of salt to every 3 pounds of meat. Amount of pepper is whatever your preference is... Season and refrigerate in a container minimum of 24 hours depending on size of your strips. Cold smoke/dry/done.

You say you like salt and pepper, you can bump up those amounts. Experiment a little make one batch using the above, make another batch adding extra salt/pepper. Use caution though, there's a fine line that is easy to cross when you add more salt.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky - 01/09/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
My grandfathers recipe was to soak strips of meat in water salted with pickling salt (enough to make an egg float) Role in course pepper smoke and dry.

I've had that exact jerky, some of the best tasting stuff.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Plain ole Salt Pepper Jerky - 01/09/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I started it soaking in salt soak on Thursday evening. I took it out today and put lots of fresh ground pepper on it. Now it's sitting in the fridge in pans with paper towels. I'll dehydrate it tomorrow.

Wish I had a smoker at my house. Once my new house is built, I will build one right away.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum