Texas Hunting Forum

Chicken Gizzards

Posted By: NewGulf

Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 04:52 PM

picked some up at the store this morning and going to fry them friday night....just wondering what some of you do differently than i do when you cook them. ive never boiled them before frying and i'm mostly a salt and pepper guy with a little flower and cornmeal coating when i make them..

How do you make yours?
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 05:00 PM

I always brine mine for a couple of hours, and then "marinade them" in soy/worstisour/zesty Italian for an additional 2 or 3 hours. Tony's in my flour. Rock and roll

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears
I always brine mine for a couple of hours, and then "marinade them" in soy/worstisour/zesty Italian for an additional 2 or 3 hours. Tony's in my flour. Rock and roll

tell me about your brine
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 05:03 PM

I rinse them, then marinade in whatever you want. I like to use Italian dressing, however, my buddy swears by just using butter milk and he has been cooking gizzards much longer than I have.

I just use flour, fry them, and season when they come out of the oil. My mom taught me that trick, she said it doesn't make sense to season the flour because all the seasoning gets burned up by the oil, so season immediately when they are pulled out of the oil.

I just use salt and pepper, but some Tonys creole is good too!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 05:09 PM

Don't cook them at home.

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf

tell me about your brine

Gallon of water to equal parts salt and sugar. Nothing to special
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 05:58 PM

brine is usually 1 cup salt and sugar per gallon of water. some people do 1 salt 1/2 sugar. You can adjust however you like and add other flavors (herbs, etc). Trick is to let them sit for long enough. I like to let anything I brine go at least 24 hrs. Salt solution will actually dehydrate the meat first then reabsorb taking in more moisture than before which is why people like to brine. Plus the moisture/solution is seasoned and gets it into the meat instead of just the exterior. Never heard of brining gizzards. Have to try that.

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 07:29 PM

ive never brined anything might try that for the hell of it!
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 08:05 PM

GREAT @The Bar Food..........
Posted By: Cast

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 08:15 PM

I bet brined gizzards are great. They do tend to be dry.

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Only reason I do. I like to make a batch when I have friends over to watch the game and not tell them what they are. Kinda one of those foods people shy away from because of the name. Everyone always eats em up. I like to brine them because I personally think it takes the edge off that heavy iron flavor they can have from time to time.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 08:54 PM

Bushes gizzards and a large sweet tea.... up

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/17/15 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Only reason I do. I like to make a batch when I have friends over to watch the game and not tell them what they are. Kinda one of those foods people shy away from because of the name. Everyone always eats em up. I like to brine them because I personally think it takes the edge off that heavy iron flavor they can have from time to time.

Going to try it
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/20/15 01:01 PM

Thats finger food if your grilling or smoking birds on the pit or cooker! me, just some
salt, pepper or marinade from your chickens.... simple, the cook quick, on low smoke,
or grill, about 40 min or so? pending your heat conditions.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Chicken Gizzards - 11/21/15 12:31 PM

Clean them up good. Season them good with Lawry's Seasoning Salt, add a little Sucklebuster's Gunpowder (Jalapeno dust) and black pepper. Then I coat them in flower loaded with black pepper and drop them in the grease. Sometimes I use an egg wash before the flour but most of the time I don't.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum