Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Heart

Posted By: Stevarino

Deer Heart - 11/12/15 03:56 PM

Who's tried it, and who actually enjoys it?
Well, curiosity got the best of me. I will say it packs a lot of flavor, but 99% of it ended up in the trash. Just couldn't get passed "eating heart."

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 04:00 PM

I have eaten it a few times, its not bad, but has an iron taste to it.

Unless im looking at the pic wrong you probably could have cut it differently to get a more tender bite. Favorite way is pan fried with gravy.

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 04:02 PM

Yeah, I really had no idea what I was doing. Just cut out the what I thought was the good stuff.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 04:12 PM

How he heart is laying in the top picture, slice horizontal, making rounds out of it trim and that will give you your best cross grain cut.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 04:23 PM

I'm out.

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I'm out.

It taste just like your filets... roflmao
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 05:01 PM

Its much better imo if you trim off the fat and then slice thinly and cook over mesquite charcoal. Some of the best meat imo. The cut is going to have a lot to do with flavor and texture.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 05:26 PM

I cook it with the liver and grind for boudin
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 05:57 PM

I actually cooked one on sunday. cut the top off, butterflied, marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley and celery leaves. Grilled over very hot coals, rare. Damn fine.
From this cookbook. If you like wild game check it out
http://www.amazon.com/Afield-Chefs-Guide-Preparing-Cooking/dp/1599621142
Posted By: PMK

no telling how much deer heart I have eaten. My mom used to slice thin, roll in seasoned flour, put in a skillet with a little bacon grease over low and put lid on. cook for 8-12 minutes, remove lid, flip (flour browned) and replace lid for another 8-12 minutes. similar to liver.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Hopefully I will get a chance to cook another this weekend. Will post pics if I do.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 06:01 PM

I've never had heart that tasted like liver the way I cook it. I don't like livers taste, smell or texture.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 06:40 PM

Deer heart makes really good fajitas. It's just not very big so it doesn't go far. I usually make scrapple from the heart and liver. My family makes a recipe almost just like this one.. http://www.food.com/recipe/deerhunters-scrapple-143284 We just use bacon fat instead of butter and use Tony Chachere's for seasoning.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 07:07 PM

slice it thinner, bread with crushed saltine crackers and flour and fry it up hot and fast

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 07:48 PM

not saying it tasted bad by any means, just mentally weirded out.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 08:32 PM

I've never eaten it. I don't know why, just haven't.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deer Heart - 11/12/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
I've never had heart that tasted like liver the way I cook it. I don't like livers taste, smell or texture.

oops, I guess my post could be read like it tastes like liver ... but I meant to make it state my mom cooked it like she cooked liver (she cooked venison like that too, rolled in seasoned flour, a little grease over low temp, cover, cook until bottom browned, flip) ... tastes nothing like liver to me ... and I like them both!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Deer Heart - 11/14/15 03:15 AM

I love heart....hate liver....
Posted By: djs303

Re: Deer Heart - 11/14/15 05:53 AM

I cook it by rolling in seasoned flower and place in pan with sautéed onions and some oil. When its browned good I pour in two cups of hot water with a tablespoon of flour mixed in to make a gravy and let it simmer for a while to make it tender. Serve over rice like beef tips. Pretty good eats!
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Deer Heart - 11/15/15 03:07 AM

We cut it thin and put it in beans or chili
Posted By: North2AK

Re: Deer Heart - 11/15/15 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Deer heart makes really good fajitas. It's just not very big so it doesn't go far. I usually make scrapple from the heart and liver. My family makes a recipe almost just like this one.. http://www.food.com/recipe/deerhunters-scrapple-143284 We just use bacon fat instead of butter and use Tony Chachere's for seasoning.

Big X2. Heart makes grew fajitas and even better scrapple. Though my scrapple recipe is a little more German and less cajun grill
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Deer Heart - 11/15/15 07:28 AM

I like it but don't eat it often. We used to cut it out, salt and pepper, light seasoning and wrap it in foil. Stick it under the coals for a bit and makes a great fire side snack.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Deer Heart - 11/17/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I love heart....hate liver....

X2!!! tried the liver once.. was inspired from reading the lonesome dove series. Ended up feeding it to the cats living under the ranch house
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Deer Heart - 11/18/15 02:42 AM

We usually eat it every year in camp, partly because it's good and partly because it's cave man food:)
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Deer Heart - 11/20/15 01:04 PM

Lots of good recipes for all deer parts, knew of older fellow years ago, he made his sausage,
fixins with deer heart gizzards, nothing went to waste! some say is makes a good gravy stock,
if thats your deal.

Hearts, lungs make also great catfish bait, if properly kept from freezer burn later.....
Posted By: booger

Re: Deer Heart - 11/20/15 05:49 PM

Trim WELL!!! Anything you would not want to eat gets cut off, soak in milk or salted water for about an hour, season then a light coating of flout then pan sear.......Love some with eggs and biscuits after a successful hunt. Throw in a little cane syrupe and its a meal fit for a KING
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Deer Heart - 11/27/15 02:44 AM

I love it, trim all fat and vessels, sliced about 3/8 inch thick, pound the craX out of it, dip into beaten egg, then into italian bread crumbs and fry quick med/high heat.
To me it tastes something between liver and gizzard.
okiehuntr
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Deer Heart - 11/27/15 04:21 PM

i used to have a ritual at deer camp, first deer came in the heart, kidneys a little bit of liver an little bit of lung and a little bit of back strap got dredged in four then into a cast iron crock pot with a little oil over a flame and browned then add all my other stuff to end up a stew. one uncle thought i was crazy and he said he would eat a sandwich instead, when it was done he saw us devouring it and had to try it, he ended up wiping the pot clean with bread.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Deer Heart - 12/15/15 10:55 PM

heart, liver all good, lungs, kidneys???
Posted By: postoak

Re: Deer Heart - 12/15/15 11:01 PM

Heart tastes okay but has a rubbery texture I find unappealing. Deer liver is better, better than the calf liver my parents used to eat (not that I ever actually ate any -- but the smell!).

I had fried yak lungs in Tibet -- sort of looked like fried eggs. They weren't good enough to make me try deer lung.

If I can ever find the pancreas, I am going to try one someday.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum