Texas Hunting Forum

Chile?

Posted By: Bittercreek

Chile? - 10/25/15 04:15 AM

Hormel, or Wolfbrand. Chile for homemade Frito-Pie. In the Blind?
Football game. Frito's in the bag Style.
Thank for any advice.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 12:00 PM

One of each. Mix in a can of frijoles with them. Onions and fresh chopped japs in the bag, chili mix over all, cheese on top.

Shades of DQ on Main in Marshall in the 60's. I hope it still tastes as good as I remember.
Posted By: TimOub007

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 12:19 PM

Whichever one doesn't have beans in it. That's a sure sign to me that you don't have enough meat. Beans don't belong in chili. :-)
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TimOub007
Whichever one doesn't have beans in it. That's a sure sign to me that you don't have enough meat. Beans don't belong in chili. :-)
Posted By: Cast

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 12:41 PM

I don't do beans in chili either but Bill taught me the frijole thing to thicken up my home made chili and as always, old guys know best.
Posted By: decook

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
Hormel, or Wolfbrand. Chile for homemade Frito-Pie. In the Blind?
Football game. Frito's in the bag Style.
Thank for any advice.

Bittercreek, I'm not about to engage the beans or no beans battle. However, being a New Mexico transplant, I want to correct your spelling from Chile to Chili. Not that it matters to most, but those that do know understand. food

Back to topic - heck yes in a blind. Just because you're deer hunting is no reason to be uncivilized. cheers
Posted By: rickym

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 01:15 PM

One can of no bean mixed with a can that has beans, like said above chop onion and japs, sprinkle into bag, pour chili in and top with lots of shredded cheese.
Using two cans of chili we typically pour into 2-3 medium size bags of fritos, one for me, one for dad. If there is a third it's free game
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 04:17 PM

Just say no to frito pie!!! Nothing cleans out my system faster then all the grease and oil in those chips!!!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
Just say no to frito pie!!! Nothing cleans out my system faster then all the grease and oil in those chips!!!!

Well I guess we know what your go to is whenever you get plugged up.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 06:41 PM

Wolf Brand is head and shoulders better than Hormel.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 07:37 PM

Homemade Venison Chili with beans for frito-pie. Dang good weather for it today around here. food
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 07:48 PM

Homemade wild game chili all the way! Make a big batch and freeze it. Can't really aquire a taste for the canned stuff anymore. If you are in a real hurry Tabasco makes a jarred chili starter where you add to cooked meat. Super quick and pretty good flavor.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Wolf Brand is head and shoulders better than Hormel.

This.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Chile? - 10/25/15 08:58 PM

Skip the canned altogether and get the vacuum packed chili in the refrigerated section where the hot dogs are. I buy Texas brand and once you've eaten it you'll never go back to canned. It comes in one pound bricks.
Posted By: Justin T

Re: Chile? - 10/26/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
Skip the canned altogether and get the vacuum packed chili in the refrigerated section where the hot dogs are. I buy Texas brand and once you've eaten it you'll never go back to canned. It comes in one pound bricks.

Skip that and vacuum seal your own leftover chili and freeze. I have eaten it a year later and it is still great. Jalapenos, onions, cheese, and chili cheese fritos...out of the bag, I'm civilized. grin
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Chile? - 10/26/15 04:00 PM

I'm a home made guy myself.. But if it hast to be canned hormel is much better. Wolf brand reminds me of dog food. And in Texas, beans absolutely, unequivocally, do NOT belong in chili. texas flag stir
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Chile? - 10/26/15 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker

That is the fun part....... lol444
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Chile? - 10/27/15 12:50 PM

Wolf brand all the way. I did not realize that wolf brand was a regional brand until we were in Montana on vacation last month and we wanted to fix Frito pie and there was none to be found. I like using it for making enchiladas as well. I have also notice that there is way more canned chili`s with beans in them than before. I guess they are trying to keep the price per unit down with the cost of beef skyrocketing in the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1GG780-Dw
Posted By: Scurvy Dog

Re: Chile? - 10/27/15 01:13 PM

In before Zot ~ ...anyone who knows beans about chili, knows chili ain't got no beans ~ Tex Scofield circa 1978
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Chile? - 10/27/15 11:27 PM

W b
Posted By: Guy

Re: Chile? - 10/28/15 03:08 AM

Wolf brand (no beans) on tortilla chips, cheese, japs.... makes the best nachos. I invented that in the 70's. up
Posted By: Tres

Re: Chile? - 10/29/15 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Homemade Venison Chili with beans for frito-pie. Dang good weather for it today around here. food
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Chile? - 10/30/15 02:25 PM

more beans
Posted By: TxImpalaClone

Re: Chile? - 11/13/15 03:50 AM

I am with jetdad. I used to be strictly a Wolf brand man when it comes to frito pie. But I tried the block of Texas brand chili in the refrigerated section wow what an upgrade. That is strictly all I use for my frito pie and chili dogs now. I love frito pie and I love homemade chili but my home made chili is a little too thick and tomatoey for frito pie. When it come to homemade I like it hot and hearty. It may sound weird but that's just my taste buds
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum