Texas Hunting Forum

Trout

Posted By: texassippi

Trout - 10/21/15 02:21 AM

Went fishing on the coast yesterday and we caught 3 limits of trout. I need some good ways to prepare this fish at my ranch this weekend.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 02:00 PM

I think specks make the best fried fish there is.

Two other crowd pleasers are blackened and fish tacos. Both are easy to do if you have a disc cooker or a cast iron skillet. Let me know if you need specifics on how to do it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 02:31 PM

Frying is #1 for me. It is a good fish can be cooked a number of ways I like it grilled and blackened also.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 02:36 PM

Sounds as if you have a group. Fried is the best way for a group. Make up a little ceviche for a good appetizer.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 03:16 PM

What they said.... up
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 04:10 PM

Grill it in an aluminum boat and when just about ready, cover with homemade pico de gallo or rotel. Veracruz style. Tasty
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 05:07 PM

Go order the trout entree' from Pappadeaux's and then cook yours just like that. It is grilled and covered with a creamy lemon butter sauce and it is absolutely my favorite meal on the market. Perfection!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 05:12 PM

I have to put them on the grill. best flavor to me.. quick and easy also

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 05:21 PM

Pssttt!! The three on the left aren't trout.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 05:26 PM

Nav you need a filet knife. grin
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 05:31 PM

ahh the old spanish trout trout
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I was movin out tha house and its alls I could find... I was bout to do it with my pocket knife...

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Yeah but they were biting better and taste good too roflmao everyone else kept wasting their time tryin to catch trout.... I was hungry

Re: Trout - 10/21/15 09:52 PM

I'm not sure what any of the restaurants now use, but they can't buy specks.

You can cook them skin and scales, like this.

But nothing beats frying for a crowd.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Trout - 10/22/15 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I was movin out tha house and its alls I could find... I was bout to do it with my pocket knife...

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Yeah but they were biting better and taste good too roflmao everyone else kept wasting their time tryin to catch trout.... I was hungry

Not knocking you for that.. I'd take it any day!

Re: Trout - 10/22/15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Go order the trout entree' from Pappadeaux's and then cook yours just like that. It is grilled and covered with a creamy lemon butter sauce and it is absolutely my favorite meal on the market. Perfection!

It's against the law to sell specks in Texas. Their trout entrée does not use the same fish.
Posted By: limestone pirate

Re: Trout - 10/22/15 04:17 PM

fried in cornmeal is always good, also lightly floured pan seared in a little olive oil and real butter is quick and easy and very tasty, the wife did some parmesan crusted a few weeks ago oh my gosh amazeballs.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Trout - 10/22/15 06:14 PM

Damn, thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate it. I haven't cooked a ton of fish so it's pretty new to me. I will let y'all know how things go tomorrow night, might even post a picture or two...if I don't somehow screw it up. food

Re: Trout - 10/22/15 10:02 PM

Use a thermometer and get your oil above 350 degrees before you start. Use Walmart seasoned and breaded fries. You might pick up a bag of frozen breaded okra.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Trout - 10/23/15 04:32 AM

I use this recipe for trout.

Catfish Supreme
2 lbs Catfish fillets
Cajun Blackenening seasoning
Hellman�s mayo
Butter
1 Cup Sliced fresh Mushrooms
1 Cup chopped Parsley
1 Cup sliced Green Onions
1 pounds peeled and deveined medium Shrimp
2 cans Cream of Shrimp soup
Cayenne pepper and Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste

1. Season catfish well on both sides with blackened seasoning then spread a thin layer of mayo on both sides of each fillet. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. In a large skillet heat 2 Tbsp butter until it starts to sizzle. Sear the fish fillets on both sides (don't cook all the way through) and remove to a large baking dish.

3. In the same skillet add 2 more Tbsp butter and then add the mushrooms, parsley and green onions. When this cooks down some add the shrimp. When the shrimp start turning a little pink reduce the heat to low and add the 2 cans of shrimp soup (the shrimp will finish cooking in the oven). Season to taste with Cayenne pepper & Hot sauce. Stir well to combine and ladle this mixture over the fish fillets.

4. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
Posted By: TxImpalaClone

Re: Trout - 11/13/15 03:56 AM

I never had then fried. I am eager to try it though they are a tasty fish
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Trout - 11/13/15 07:45 PM

you cant beat fresh trout anytime except with fresh oysters!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Trout - 11/13/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf

Planning a trip next month, save some for me. I'm bringing my neck brace, so we're good.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Trout - 11/14/15 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Originally Posted By: NewGulf

Planning a trip next month, save some for me. I'm bringing my neck brace, so we're good.

lmao let me know!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum