Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Childhood Meal

Posted By: redchevy

Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/10/15 05:15 PM

Porkchops and rice is one of my favorite all times meals, love this stuff.

Porkchops
Minute rice
Salt
pepper
onion
bell pepper
soy sauce
teriyaki
frozen peas and carrots
butter/cooking oil

Marinade pork chops in teriyaki, pressed onion, and garlic powder, they grill or pan fry

Cook diced onion and bell pepper in oil/butter in shallow pot or large sauce pan, then add rice and liquid. Liquid is proportional to the rice, cup of rice needs a cup of liquid. The liquid is 3/4 water and 1/4 soy sauce, add frozen peas and carrots at this time too then cover and stir occasionally.

Typically we season porkchops with salt and pepper or garlic salt and grill, tried them like this and it came out pretty good, may tweak a little for next time.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/10/15 05:19 PM

Looks good! They're good on the grill but I love cookin them on the cast iron skillet with a little cooked down Worcestershire garlic salt and black pepper.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/10/15 11:30 PM

chicken spaghetti casserole, hands down. recipe by request only
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 12:36 AM

Swiss (smothered) steak made by my mom with mashed potatoes and green beans....RIP mom...miss you....
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 01:33 AM

Pan fried chicken fried steak, mashed taters with gravy, and fried okra. I just ate supper, now I am hungry again.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 04:00 AM

Chicken and dumplings, hands down for me.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
Chicken and dumplings, hands down for me.
Same here and my grandma didn't have a recipe she made it by memory and taste so she never passed it along to anyone.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 11:06 AM

Then as now. Steak and tater.
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 11:31 AM

Back in the fifties, Mama made goulash in a big cast iron pot,mashed taters,corn and butter bread. Sweet tea food
Posted By: conifer

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 01:06 PM

stuffed cabbage rolls
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/11/15 02:04 PM

Biscuits and chocolate gravy, my Grannies recipe.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/12/15 11:10 PM

Grandma's Leg of lamb with mint jelly and mashed potatoes.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/12/15 11:20 PM

Left over pot roast...chopped it all together (meat, taters, onions and carrots. Put it on toast and poured brown gravy over it. Mom called it Texas hash. Mmmmmmmm!
Posted By: aeb

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/13/15 08:09 PM

Her home made biscuits.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/13/15 09:00 PM

My Mom's Macaroni & Cheese. Just elbow macaroni and Velveeta w/ a little milk and butter. AND a WHOLE LOT OF LOVE! food
Posted By: PMK

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/14/15 03:50 PM

the list is endless for me. My mom German fried pretty much everything, CFS, venison, dove, quail, pork chops, chicken, etc.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/14/15 04:14 PM

My Nan's BLT. I really don't know what it was other than simple and always perfect. Dr Pepper or Sweet Tea over ice to boot.

I remember this one day I had built a box blind at the house and was heading to the lease with friends. It was probably the Saturday before opening day. hammer We stopped by on the way out and she asked if we were hungry. Well, she made all of us a BLT and handed me a full bag of Lays. Remember it like it was yesterday. My PaPaw had died a couple years earlier and I got his 72 Cheyenne. I think she liked seeing that old truck in the driveway as much as me.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/14/15 04:37 PM

It would have had to been Pinto's with corn bread and cottage fries.

Or

Grilled burger patties, purple hulls, cantaloupe, cottage cheese, and cornbread.

Or

Turnip greens, cornbread, and pork chops.

This list could go on, my mom is a great 94yo cook.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/15/15 12:07 AM

My Gran Mother's soup. My other Gran's peanut butter cookies.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/15/15 12:12 AM

Cranberry chicken and rice is probably my favorite... That and her 100% home made German chocolate cake.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/23/15 03:09 PM

Didn't realize it till years later, but EVERY meal mom cooked was AWESOME.
Fresh fried shrimp, BBQ fresh Flounder, & stuffed steak the tops along with dozens of others, and the fresh garden veggies / sides.
Desserts too: cottage cheese pie, homemade peach vanilla icecream, Apple crunch cobbler,
cinnamon-raisin kolaches (cinnamon rolls for you yankees) - dang - making me hungry!
I miss mom!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/23/15 05:17 PM

My mom's pan fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy. I haven't had it in 12 years now. frown
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/23/15 05:20 PM

My Mom cooked the best fried steak in the world. That along with soft fried taters with onions, cream gravy, fresh cow peas and cornbread was my favorite childhood meal...still is...
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/23/15 05:23 PM

Chicken fried backstrap, mashed potatoes, corn, cream gravy, and crescent rolls. I still ask my mom to make this when I go home.
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/24/15 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: conifer
stuffed cabbage rolls
Originally Posted By: conifer
stuffed cabbage rolls

Yumm. Didn't realize I would miss it until now. Stuffed bell peppers too. Both from my grandmother. She'd also make a chocolate pie because she wanted one piece while it was fresh and send the rest home with me.

From my mom all time favorite fried okra. I can't eat the frozen breaded stuff to this day. She still will make it if she knows I'm coming for lunch along with some meatballs and gravy.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/24/15 01:50 PM

I love to cook, and attribute that to my mom and her mom, who were both awesome cooks. The one thing I can't replicate is my grandmothers dumplings, never had any close to hers.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/25/15 09:21 PM

Red beans, goulash, fried taters and cornbread.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 09/28/15 02:14 PM

To many to mention. But what I liked the most was when my mom would fix Mexican food for christmas. Homemade enchiladas, Mexican cornbread and tacos. I know she really loved to cook as much or more than I do.
Posted By: coach20

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 10/03/15 01:46 AM

southern fried chicken.
Posted By: limestone pirate

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 10/08/15 03:45 AM

home fried chicken and homemade hamburgers cooked in cast iron skillet with skin on fries
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Favorite Childhood Meal - 10/09/15 07:01 PM

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes / gravy, and corn.
Mom used to make that for me every birthday (even when older). Now that she is over 1000 miles away- miss my BD meal
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum