Texas Hunting Forum

Nachos at home

Posted By: bill oxner

Nachos at home - 07/25/15 11:29 PM

I made a dozen tonight to go with my fajita. I keep them simple. I use the round chips, top them with retried beans, cheddar cheese, and slice of jalapeņos, zap them in the microwave and I'm done.

Do you make them at home? Recipe?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Nachos at home - 07/25/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I made a dozen tonight to go with my fajita. I keep them simple. I use the round chips, top them with retried beans, cheddar cheese, and slice of jalapeņos, zap them in the microwave and I'm done.

Do you make them at home? Recipe?

We do that one but sometimes add taco meat and sour cream.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Nachos at home - 07/26/15 03:10 AM

Made some the other night with leftover brisket. Have a Mex place that I get the chips and salsa from. Add black beans, cheese, avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and beer.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Nachos at home - 07/26/15 10:10 AM

I was taught how to make them in the 60's by Senora Fierra. She had no English and I was just learning Espanol.

Quarter a corn tortilla and drop it into hot grease. She used lard and I now use Olive oil. When it gets semi hard, remove it and place on a a paper towel. Put a spoonful of refried beans on the chip. In those days pinto's had to be mashed after cooking. Add a little bit of sharp shredded cheddar cheese over the beans. I now top with a slice of jalapeno. Put them on a cookie pan (She used her cast iron skillet) and heat the whole works in the oven.

Remove when the cheese is melted and before the chip scorches. It works a little better if you heat the beans first. I can only eat about 2 dozen of them.

Re: Nachos at home - 07/26/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I was taught how to make them in the 60's by Senora Fierra. She had no English and I was just learning Espanol.

Quarter a corn tortilla and drop it into hot grease. She used lard and I now use Olive oil. When it gets semi hard, remove it and place on a a paper towel. Put a spoonful of refried beans on the chip. In those days pinto's had to be mashed after cooking. Add a little bit of sharp shredded cheddar cheese over the beans. I now top with a slice of jalapeno. Put them on a cookie pan (She used her cast iron skillet) and heat the whole works in the oven.

Remove when the cheese is melted and before the chip scorches. It works a little better if you heat the beans

first. I can only eat about 2 dozen of them.

I remember some of those old deep fried corn tortillas. The were great but loaded with calories.

Re: Nachos at home - 07/27/15 12:34 AM

Bill, they still are I guess. But, I now have been civilized and use olive oil.

But, I can't enjoy nachos at restaurants of movie theaters. Even the "Mexican" eateries have civilized them with lettuce, tomato, HB meat and sour cream..
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Nachos at home - 07/27/15 08:09 PM

i used to put a dollup of bean dip and a sliced trappeys jalapeno on each chip, cover with shredded chedder and microwave...mm mm good
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Nachos at home - 07/27/15 09:06 PM

if you love nachos, try this...

put a layer of fine chopped fresh onion on the chips and then cover with equal parts shredded American, Colby, and Cheddar. carefully broil till melted cheese gets some dark spots... blend of cheeses is bliss.

Re: Nachos at home - 07/27/15 10:21 PM

Just onions and cheese?

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: driedmeat

put a layer of fine chopped fresh onion on the chips and then cover with equal parts shredded American, Colby, and Cheddar. carefully broil till melted cheese gets some dark spots... blend of cheeses is bliss.

You're fired. You have to have jalapeņos on there.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:45 AM

Yes.

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Yes.

clap ...my bad... kinda figured jalaps were a givin... kinda like the sheet pan to cook em on!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:20 PM

Tab of butter in a pan and sweat down some onions. After onion ins cooked add left over pulled pork and heat till meat is warmed through. Arrange chips, spread some refried beans on them (I like refried black beans best) add the meat/onion mix sprinkle with cheese and serve with hot sauce and jalapenos. I would like sour cream too but didn't have any.

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:30 PM

^^^^ dayum!!! that's my kinda nacho! up
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Tab of butter in a pan and sweat down some onions. After onion ins cooked add left over pulled pork and heat till meat is warmed through. Arrange chips, spread some refried beans on them (I like refried black beans best) add the meat/onion mix sprinkle with cheese and serve with hot sauce and jalapenos. I would like sour cream too but didn't have any.

Dangit RC you beat me to it. grin This^^^ except with these I like to quarter up flour tortillas and fry up fresh tortilla chips, oh and heat the jalapenos too (kids get no peppers).
Posted By: Cast

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 01:54 PM

I like them old school. Triangular chips layered on a cookie sheet, covered with meskin mix cheese and layered with japs. Cooked under a broiler until the cheese bubbles and the corners of the chips are toasty. Sprinkle of salt and a cold beer of your choice. Those are real nachos. I special order them at the meskin food places.

I also like old school tortilla soup. Chicken broth, a can of Rotel at a rolling boil. Put a handful of crushed chips in a bowl with a handful of meskin cheese mix and ladle the boiling broth over the chips/cheese mix. I hate how the yuppies try to make everything better by adding unnecessary ingredients.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 02:11 PM

^^^^ dayum!!! that's my kinda nacho! up

Best nachos ive ever made. Ate them 3 nights in a row for dinner back when the wife was working nights and only had myself to please for supper food

Gonna have to do this again
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Nachos at home - 07/28/15 04:52 PM

up
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Nachos at home - 07/29/15 01:26 PM

boy those look good!
Posted By: tchunter

Re: Nachos at home - 08/05/15 08:02 PM

I grew up going to Nacho's restaurant in Piedras Negras where the owner invented them in the 50's when he was the maitre di at another place. The old school method is the way to go. i don't eat them any other way.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Nachos at home - 08/06/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: tchunter
I grew up going to Nacho's restaurant in Piedras Negras where the owner invented them in the 50's when he was the maitre di at another place. The old school method is the way to go. i don't eat them any other way.

Nacho snob. grin
Posted By: Cast

Re: Nachos at home - 08/06/15 06:25 PM

Nacho expert!

Re: Nachos at home - 08/06/15 06:38 PM

I'm making them again tonight to go with my fajita. I'm using Tostitos brand rounds, store bought refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese, and my home pickled jalapeņo peppers. The peppers make more difference than you might think.

Re: Nachos at home - 08/06/15 11:37 PM

Here you go;

Posted By: Nick1

Re: Nachos at home - 08/30/15 03:20 AM

Here you go;

excuse me sir!!! Where the hell is the Heineken!!!! confused2
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Nachos at home - 08/30/15 10:05 PM

[quote=bill oxner]I made a dozen tonight to go with my fajita. I keep them simple. I use the round chips, top them with retried beans, cheddar cheese, and slice of jalapeņos, zap them in the microwave and I'm done.

Do you make them at home? Recipe? [/quote

Ahhh a Friday Football Night favorite in Texas and you nailed it, Bill! Chips, cheese, and jalapeno slices is the classic. I think the best "classic" nacho is a basket of flour tortilla chips with a ladle of melted Campbell's Nacho Cheese soup poured on top, with a couple spoon-fulls of jalapeno slices scattered about on them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum