Texas Hunting Forum

Slow Cooking Backstrap

Posted By: 7ARanch

Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/27/15 04:02 PM

I'm doing some ribs this afternoon and was thinking about throwing a backstrap on with them. My concern would be drying it out. I could wrap in bacon for a constant marinade effect. Had anyone tried this?m If so what were the results? Thanks
Posted By: PMK

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/27/15 06:42 PM

yep, I took a whole backstrap, butterflied, stuffed with "stuff", folded in half, wrapped with bacon slightly overlapping edges, put in my smoker low & slow for about 4 hours. came out with a nice smoke ring and cooked to medium in the middle (due to having sausage stuffed inside). I will see if I can find the thread with pictures and directions.

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/27/15 06:56 PM

I think this LINK should get you there
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/27/15 07:02 PM

For me cooking backstrap on the grill has always come out much better if I cook it hot and fast, as in sear it and serve rare/medium rare at most.

I wouldn't plan on cooking it through, but if I did I would butterfly it brine it roll something juicy in the middle and wrap it in bacon. While the bacon is tasty I find it usually doesn't add as much moisture to the meat you wrap it in as you would hope.

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/27/15 07:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The ribs are on so now I can play with the backstrap to see what I can come up with. I wish I'd asked sooner since the sausage stuffed backstrap looks amazing. I usually cook them on the grill like you indicated Red Chevy but since I have the Big Green Egg up and running I thought I'd try smoking it. We'll see what I end up with.
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/28/15 03:08 AM

Well, don't keep us in suspense, what' d you do and how did it come out?

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/28/15 06:04 PM

So using PMK's total bacon wrap it came out pretty good, incredibly tender. I did not have any fresh veggies so I butterflied it and stuffed the middle with pickled Jalapeno's. As Red Chevy predicted it was a touch dry but the flavor was great. I cut it up into 1" pieces and they were devoured in short order. I will do it again but this time I will try injecting the backstrap to add a little more moisture and I will use a water pan in the BGE too for the same reason. I think this has great potential, it just needs to be played with a bit more.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/28/15 06:25 PM

For me the ticket to food like that is no rest and no waiting, remove from pit and slice and eat for the moistest.

You should try brining it. A gallon of water cup of salt and whatever other spices you like in a ziplock in the fridge or bowl for 24-48 hours. Helps with flavor and moisture.

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/29/15 12:54 PM

that was the reason I used breakfast sausage & onions in the middle to add moisture from the inside. That was also the reason I took it to 165* internal to make sure the sausage was cooked. I have also done similar but used partially cooked chopped bacon in the middle so I didn't have to bring the temp quite as high for a more medium rare center. This also works great for deer or feral hog deboned ham roast.

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 04/29/15 05:54 PM

I've never done the brining any meat though I have read about it. I figured that's why you added the sausage and onions I just didn't have any here and I was on the clock. The jalapeno's did more than I really expected. Just more things to try. Thanks for the suggestions.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 05/05/15 02:08 AM

I have smoked a few backstraps wrapped in bacon and they came out great. Just don't over cook
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 05/05/15 04:02 AM

Try rubbing the backstrap with olive oil and coating with kosher or sea salt. Wrap in plastic overnight. Then cook either low and slow or high and fast over wood coals or smoke. If I go the sear route will baste with a garlic herb butter to get a fine crust.
Posted By: dw173

Re: Slow Cooking Backstrap - 05/28/15 10:44 PM

A little raspberry Chipotle sauce on it is awesome along with the bacon wrap.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum