Texas Hunting Forum

smoked salt

Posted By: HuntingTexas

smoked salt - 04/25/15 11:47 PM

Do you guys use it and if so what brand and what kind? Thanks.

Here's why I ask .... 20 plus pages on Amazon

Smoked salt link
Posted By: Tres

Re: smoked salt - 04/26/15 01:50 PM

Can make your own pretty easy if you have a smoker. Buy some real course salt, pour some brisket drippings and mix it and let it sit for a few hours, then put on sheet pan and smoke for hour or two.

Re: smoked salt - 04/26/15 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres
Can make your own pretty easy if you have a smoker. Buy some real course salt, pour some brisket drippings and mix it and let it sit for a few hours, then put on sheet pan and smoke for hour or two.

Now that sounds like a plan ..... thanks !!
Posted By: PMK

Re: smoked salt - 04/27/15 03:09 PM

I used to buy a hickory smoked salt at HEB in the spice aisle but they quite carrying it 5 or so years back. I found some in a couple different spice stores around the country that we have visited that I bought but it goes pretty quickly.

I decided to give it a try myself on a blend of spices about a month ago and was pretty pleased with the outcome. I mixed in equal parts course ground sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. I placed the mix in an aluminum pie pan about 1/4 to 3/8 deep and put in my smoker on the bottom rack. I was smoking with live oak & pecan a variety of meats anyway, why not? about every 45 minutes to an hour, I would stir the seasoning blend and I let it smoke for about 6 hours. I then let it cool and put in a left over spice shaker bottle. works great on any combination of meats or vegetables and great on eggs although I use it about like I would salt and add additional black pepper for my own tastes

Re: smoked salt - 05/01/15 11:46 PM

Great recipe, thanks PMK
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: smoked salt - 05/04/15 06:47 PM

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Islands-Hick...ory+smoked+salt

It's expensive, but potent. The jar will last a long time.
Posted By: Tres

Re: smoked salt - 05/05/15 02:57 AM

Did some today while smoking a pork butt, used Himalayan pink salt, smells like bacon now grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum