Texas Hunting Forum

Wild hog help

Posted By: youngnewt

Wild hog help - 04/12/15 10:28 PM

Trapped some hogs this weekend. Skinned and cleaned 5 20-30lbers. Any suggestions on a dry rub or marinates and ways to cook then. I was just gonna slow cook them on the smoker.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wild hog help - 04/12/15 11:12 PM

You came to the right place to ask. Help is on the way.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Wild hog help - 04/12/15 11:16 PM

That's the way to go, but I cannot help you with time/temp, unfortunately. See the thread in the photos section about smoking whole pigs.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 12:11 AM

Since they're already skinned/quartered, my favorite way to smoke them is to inject them (can buy store bought Tony's) or make your own with apple juice/ brown sugar & seasoning. There are a gazillion different rubs to use but I prefer fajita seasoning/garlic powder/cumen/paprika/black pepper/brown sugar. Cook low & slow indirect heat and use a steam pan with apple juice near the heat source. With pork I prefer hickory and can mix in fruit wood if you'd like. When almost done wrap tight or you can put in a big roaster & add some chicken broth/Shiner beer/onions/garlic/Worchestersire until it falls apart. On little pigs that size my favorite way to cook them is in a crock pot. Get your meat good & clean (cut down to fit), rub it down good with Fiesta brand fajita seasoning/garlic powder/onion powder/black pepper/cumen/paprika. Pack all of your meat in a crock pot, add just enough chicken broth to cover the meat/add a little Worchestershire/cover and cook on low (6-10 hrs depending on how much meat). Remove meat & shred discarding anything that's not pure meat. Leave just a little juice in the pot, keep the rest in a bowl. Add shredded meat back to pot, add fajita seasoning & cumen to taste, and add a little more juice back if you need to while stirring in the seasoning. Toast some torts, chop onion/cilantro/lime/avacado add some white Mexican cheese and get after it. up Either way, the meat will be very tender & juicy if you do it right. food

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 12:22 AM

If gonna smoke, can also brine. When I inject I inject then rub and put in fridge at least over night. Will sometimes go 24-48 hrs, then off to the pit. If brining pigs that size I normally shoot for brining at least overnight, then remove/rub/off to the pit.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 12:23 AM

Sounds great...have used the crock pot many times for that wild pork. Love the Fiesta brand fajita seasoning as well. Good on most meats.

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Sounds great...have used the crock pot many times for that wild pork. Love the Fiesta brand fajita seasoning as well. Good on most meats.

Yes it is. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 01:50 AM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5694921/Hey_Etex....cooked_some_pigs!#Post5694921

Try this next time...
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 11:50 AM

Smoke it 6 to 7 hours at 250, wrap in foil 9 hours till tender.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 04:27 PM

skinner nailed it ... not much I can add to that! good job skinner!!! up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wild hog help - 04/13/15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
skinner nailed it ... not much I can add to that! good job skinner!!! up

X2 up
Posted By: cactusfishman

Re: Wild hog help - 04/22/15 04:01 AM

I like skinner's methods also. Pecan wood is good for pig smoking.
Posted By: KC

Re: Wild hog help - 04/25/15 08:01 PM

I like to brine overnight, smoke 250 for 4 hrs, then put in a dutch oven with a cup of chicken broth. Cook at 250 til tender, usually another 4 hrs. Shred it with the broth and serve.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum