Texas Hunting Forum

Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast

Posted By: Gravytrain

Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 02:35 AM

Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast

I can't seem to get it it right in the pan, oven or bbq grill. Haven't tried the smoker
but I doubt I can do any better with it.

The more recipes, the better. But I'm trying to stay away from breaded or deep fried.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 03:14 AM

I like to pound them with a tenderizing hammer or the back side of a butcher knife a bit before I cook them, flatten them. Coat a little olive oil, salt and pepper and toss them on the grill. But not for long! A couple or three minutes a side on a hot grill is good if you have flattened them. People have this phobia about fowl, yes it needs to be cooked but it doesn't have to be overcooked.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 03:50 AM

You have to make sure you don't over cook. Get a meat thermometer and only cook till internal temp of 165.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 12:56 PM

I no longer pound out chicken breast. I slice them into two equal size pieces before breading them. I also grill them whole to medium rare slice them and put them in a hot pan with onions for great fajitas.

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 01:31 PM

I keep several frozen after grilling like this.

Posted By: T Bone

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 01:47 PM

We do ours on the Egg.. Raised grid & indirect heat.. (most folks do direct, I like not having the flames right under the chicken..)

Pull at 155 & let rest in foil for 10 mins.. Pow.. Juicy & tender..
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/22/15 08:26 PM

You can also brine them.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/23/15 03:21 AM

Brine them puppies.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/23/15 03:26 AM

my advice is to use a probe thermometer - most people overcook meat trying to get to the safe zone for whatever meat you are cooking. I used to use the probe in the smoker only, now i use it on the grill and in the oven too. It's the simplest thing I did that made the things i cooked much better... that and resting the meat. remember the temp will rise when you tent/rest so don't be afraid to pull it a few degree's early.

always test your probe in boiling water too to make sure it's calibrated and reading correctly.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/23/15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Cool Mo D
You can also brine them.

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
Brine them puppies.

this. brine it. makes all the difference in the world.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/23/15 05:23 PM

if you buy them frozen 99% chance they are already brined. start from room temp, keep a close eye on them and when you see clear liquid start to come out take them off the fire and let rest. Most people over cook them because they're afraid they are not cooked enough which dries them out badly.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/23/15 06:57 PM

Like everyone said, Brine baby brine!
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/23/15 07:00 PM

X5 brine baby brine!
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/26/15 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
We do ours on the Egg.. Raised grid & indirect heat.. (most folks do direct, I like not having the flames right under the chicken..)

Pull at 155 & let rest in foil for 10 mins.. Pow.. Juicy & tender..

Same here, first time I made chicken breast on the egg I was shocked at how juicy it was. Only time I've ever had chicken that juicy was at fancy resturants.
Posted By: junkout

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/28/15 02:45 AM

Brine. If your like me and never plan dinners you can put the breast pre-seasoned in a metal pan (stainless) on the grill. Heat both side of the breast until it's white and half done on each side. I then add beer or water to cover the bottom of the pan but not the chicken breast. You are now steaming the breast. When it's completely done set the breast on the grill long enough to get the grill marks on the meat and remove the moisture on the outside. Don't leave it too long on the grill or it will dry out. It's very most and easier than it sounds.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/28/15 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: junkout
Brine. If your like me and never plan dinners you can put the breast pre-seasoned in a metal pan (stainless) on the grill. Heat both side of the breast until it's white and half done on each side. I then add beer or water to cover the bottom of the pan but not the chicken breast. You are now steaming the breast. When it's completely done set the breast on the grill long enough to get the grill marks on the meat and remove the moisture on the outside. Don't leave it too long on the grill or it will dry out. It's very most and easier than it sounds.
Sounds worth trying up
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/29/15 03:54 AM

Marinate in Italian seasoning overnight and follow instructions above. I use a meat hammer, but probably overkill. Key to,chicks is cook for a bit over wood or charcoal, then wrap t retain juices. My buddy marinates his breast in jerk for two days and cooks over wood coals for 15 minutes, wraps and puts right back on fire. Juicy!
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 03/31/15 07:03 PM

I use the "heel of the hand" method. I ate some chicken out at a hunting ranch once that was literally dripping. I asked the cook how he got it like that and he said 98% of people over cook chicken or think it needs to be cooked for 20-30 minutes. He said as soon as you can press the chicken with tongs and it feels like the heel of your hand does when you press on it with your thumb, take it off and let it rest before eating. If it feels like the area under your thumb, it's getting too done.

Ever since I've started going by this... my chicken comes out right no matter how thick or thin or what's it's been marinated in.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 04/01/15 03:18 PM

Brine, Brine, Brine...

I use a gallon ziploc bag and 2-3 breasts. I put in equal parts salt and sugar and then fill up with water with a splash of OJ. I dont know how much but it is prolly close to 1/4 cup of each. Instead of all salt, I will use my favorite seasoning which contains salt and occasionally I will use brown sugar instead of white.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 04/03/15 02:09 PM

I think the key is getting the internal temp right. As mentioned above, i think the recommended min temp is 165, however, i tend to pull off around 160-162. IME, once you exceed 165, you're drying out.

I also use a pellet grill/smoker which doesnt have direct heat.. less chance of burning.

Olive oil, italian dressing, or greek dressing are three main things i use sprinkled with a little tony's..

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 04/03/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I no longer pound out chicken breast. I slice them into two equal size pieces before breading them. I also grill them whole to medium rare slice them and put them in a hot pan with onions for great fajitas.

I had one last night. It was delicious.
Posted By: MMarshall

Re: Need your secrets to juicy and tender boneless skinless chicken breast - 04/06/15 07:47 PM

I like to grill them, until 165 internal temp. Grill is usually about 300. I marinate them in italian dressing for a day or two. They will have great flavor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum