Posted By: Bittercreek

Venison-Stew? - 02/26/15 05:14 PM

Anyone a good Venison-Stew; Recipe?
Have a small Venison Roast thawed>
My first attempt.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/26/15 05:53 PM

Cut it up in small chunks, dredge it through seasoned flour and fry it in a cast iron skillet with hot bacon grease. You want it well browned. Remove the meat to a bowl when it's finished and deglaze the skillet with wine or water or both. That's your stew base you'll start with. Dump that in a cast iron dutch oven and add a chunked up yellow onion, carrots, red taters, celery. Add water to cover, bring to slow boil, add the meat and cover the pot. Turn heat way down to simmer and go to the store to get some beer. Relax and drink a few beers while it stews, it'll take a few hours, and within reason, the longer it stews, the better it will taste. Stir it occasionally from the bottom up and correct seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic. Enjoy.

Now I don't know if I'm having a fried bologna sammich or stew for lunch!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/26/15 06:35 PM

What cast said sounds great. We put whole babby carrots in ours also.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/27/15 03:37 AM

Damn I'm droolin now stir
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/27/15 05:48 AM

Cast has a good start, I usually add the baby carrots, english peas and to thicken will sometimes bake a sweet potato in the microwave, mash it and add some hot liquid from the stew pot to thin it out some so can mix into the stew easier. If you like sweet tater you will get a little in every bite that way.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/27/15 02:44 PM

Dang that sweet potato idea sounds awesome, too bad my wife hates them frown

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/27/15 04:04 PM

Sweet tater? Who'd a thunk it? Sounds worth trying. Add the peas just before you serve it or they'll stew away.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/27/15 08:43 PM

Got that sweet tater idea from some potato soup that a guy at work brought in, his Mothers recipe. Thought that is a more healthy and tastier thickening than flour or corn starch. Have to stir it some unless you have cooked it down thicker as it will seperate.
Posted By: conifer

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/27/15 09:18 PM

cut up and brown meat. add to slow cooker with carrots, onions, a little celery, potatoes, can cream of mushroom soup, pack of onion soup mix, 3 cans water ....cook a couple hours. That's all folks!
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/28/15 07:33 PM

Thanks for all the ideas.
Used Cast suggestion. Came out great.
Whole family finished it off.

Re: Venison-Stew? - 02/28/15 08:04 PM

Glad y'all liked it. Now change it up a bit and make it yours. MIL used to add sliced water chestnuts to her stew to give it crunch. I like to add mushrooms sometimes.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Venison-Stew? - 03/05/15 05:24 AM

This recipe I came up with is delicious. Guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Posted By: quackcommander

Re: Venison-Stew? - 03/06/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by blazin
This recipe I came up with is delicious. Guaranteed crowd pleaser.

trying a similar mixture tonight.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum