Texas Hunting Forum

In need of a good greens recipe

Posted By: ijohnston

In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 05:18 PM

I have been out of town and was not able to cook dinner for the family until now. I am looking for a new recipe for greens. Anyone out there have a good one?
Posted By: Cast

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 05:58 PM

What kinda greens?

Turnip greens will be prepared differently from spinach.

Bacon grease is the key though.

Turnips - stuff pot full, add enough water to cover the bottom of pan plus a little more. Add lump of bacon grease, salt, pepper and a little sugar. Low heat, cover, and go take nap while wife prepares cornbread.

Collards - same as turnips, but need less sugar, not as bitter as turnip greens.

Spinach - salt, pepper and water. Optionally, add an egg before serving.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 06:32 PM

I will try that. I usually use a ham hock but want to try something new with the collards.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 06:50 PM

Make your stock first and don't use more than a couple of cups of stock.

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 08:45 PM

Do you use chicken stock, Bill?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 08:56 PM

I use ham hock stock with added beef bouillon. Boil it down pretty good.

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 09:05 PM

Oooh, that would be good. The bacon grease is good if you don't have a ham bone.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/02/15 09:50 PM

Ive been eating canned greens lately and the "Glory" brand is pretty darn good. Sometimes I pour them in a pan with chopped fried bacon, chopped onions, and then add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of sugar. It's quick, easy, and really good.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/03/15 01:55 AM

i like to get them and saute them and onion in hot bacon grease then depending how much there is i put them in hot chicken broth to cook for a few and then season how i like them everybody always wants me to make them this time of year
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/03/15 04:04 AM

anyone use beet tops? I use the small leaves in salads and the bigger ones like wilted, bacon grease & vinegar
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/11/15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
Ive been eating canned greens lately and the "Glory" brand is pretty darn good. Sometimes I pour them in a pan with chopped fried bacon, chopped onions, and then add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of sugar. It's quick, easy, and really good.

This ^^^^^^^
Posted By: redchevy

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/12/15 06:36 PM

Cook some bacon and a 1/2 diced onion in pot, then add greans and a beer of your flavor and cook down.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: In need of a good greens recipe - 01/12/15 08:47 PM

Bacon and Frank's Red Hot!

flush grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum