Texas Hunting Forum

Best brand and or style of skillet for searing

Posted By: Brother in-law

Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 01:18 PM

What is the best way to sear? Pan? Techniques?

Mainly steak I care about
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 02:44 PM

Cast iron
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 03:59 PM

yep, cast iron. can set in the oven to get the sucker hot hot hot...
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 05:39 PM

And the very best selection for searing would be an old griswold skillet with rows of raised searing ridges for the bottom. They'll sear it and leave great grill marks behind. I advise you not go this route though because it'll make you want more griswold stuff.
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 05:51 PM

Lodge still makes cast iron skillets but you can usually find some good old cast iron at yard sales, flea markets etc...just clean them good and re-season...

rick
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 06:28 PM

When searing on cast iron do yal use butter/oil or just straight onto clean dry hot cast iron?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 07:04 PM

I put straight into pan. I tried butter & oil but burns quick.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/10/14 08:36 PM

yep, if the cast iron is seasoned properly, pitch in and listen to the sizzle
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/11/14 12:32 AM

I still use a 150 year old cast iron skillet... very well seasoned!!
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/11/14 03:48 AM

Cast Iron! Try it in the oven instead of stovetop.

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 05:27 AM

Ive tried it and its great. I ruined my cast iron skillet so I need to purchase something new. I was wondering if there was a something that really stood out that I could buy.

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 01:04 PM

How did you ruin it?

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 03:44 PM

Left the pan out in the elements and it rusted

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 03:54 PM

I've never had to do it, but some people claim you can through it in a brush fire and if it doesn't crack it can be saved with a little grease and a few reheats.

I have some Lodge Cast that are handy, but my favorite is my Le Creuset grill pan. Some people say the Lodge ceramic stuff is similar and it's a lot cheaper.

http://www.lecreuset.com/cookware/grill-pans---griddles/grills---grill-pans/square-skillet-grill

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

It's not ruined, just need to buff it down/start over re-seasoning. Have brought several back to life. There are also some good YouTube videos on how to do it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 08:49 PM

I have an old cast iron pan I found 1/2 buried in the sand at our ranch when we bought it. It was covered in rust. I hit it with a wire wheel on my grinder for a while both inside and out. Re-seasoned it and it was one of my best pans till I let my mom get ahold of it... now she wont give it back.

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 08:55 PM

roflmao

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/12/14 11:22 PM

Mine is at the landfill now. I was going to shoot it but my wife made it go away
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/13/14 06:36 PM

Have a old cast iron washpot that was in the ground with only a lip showing, dug it up and sand blasted to clean then washed up good and seasoned. Would hate to think what all that one has cooked in the last 30+ years since putting it back to use. Bruswick stews 8 to 10 a year, fish fries, chicken fries....

For searing steaks and doing flat iron steaks have a cast iron griddle, get it hot 500 degrees in the over set it out on the stove burners and cook the steak on it, the grill side leaves nice marks.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/14/14 03:01 PM

We use an old Wagner Ware Sidney here, from my folks yrs gone by, about 60yrs old, still cooks
great, seldom wash it, hog lard, cleaned and wipped down good. Great for pancakes, or anything for
that matter!

If your on a budget, shop flea markets, yard sales, estate sales ( i stay away from sellars too greedy),
theres buys out there, You will never wear one out! they are made to last! better than the fancy
calphalon crap on the market today!

Venison, elk steaks salted, pepper to taste, about 3 to 5 minutes per side, pending your thickness or
meat doneness. Grilled onions, with garlic, veggies are to die for!

expierment around when you land one!

gud luck!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/14/14 09:52 PM

Funny...I just did two 2" rib-eyes for lunch today. I use a Cooks Standard stainless pan. Season your steaks and leave them out for an hour at least, covered with a clean dish towel. Light layer of olive oil in the pan, high heat until the oil just starts smoking, turn heat down 1/4 turn, lay in steaks. After 3 minutes, flip the steaks and put in your diced potatoes with onion and garlic. Cover. 3 minutes more, with a pair of tongs, not a fork, move the steaks to a cooling rack in the oven (over a drip pan), and stir the 'taters to finish in the drippings left in the pan. Once the 'taters are done, shouldn't take 5 minutes at most, plate it all up and drizzle the drippings out of the oven over the steaks.
Posted By: bhatx89

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/17/14 05:57 PM

Agree with those who say Cast Iron,

I have an enamel skillet, Viking I think, that I can use in a pinch only issue is folks using metal forks/spatulas damages the surface...gotten so bad I wash it and hide it away when I'm done grin
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best brand and or style of skillet for searing - 12/17/14 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Have you still got it? It ain't ruined.

Oh, I see now. Pity. I woulda brought it back for you. Cast iron is Cast's friend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum