Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone sous Vide?

Posted By: c141

Anyone sous Vide? - 11/25/14 05:01 AM

http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova

Just picked one of these up. Did a prime New York strip and seared on my BGE. Probably the best steak I have made. Anyone else use one and care to share some recipes and tips?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/25/14 04:14 PM

you cooked a vacuum sealed steak in boiling water, then seared on grill? hmmm ... interesting concept. I could see it working well with vegetables.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/25/14 04:21 PM

no comprende
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/25/14 05:53 PM

Yes, One of my favorite ways to do venison. Thick section or thin, it all comes out the same. Takes all the timing out of the cooking. Below is some backstrap finished in the same cast iron skillet that the brussel sprouts were cooked in. I also will throw the venison on the grill to finish it.

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/26/14 03:45 PM

What temp do you do the venison? That was my main reason for this is game meat.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/26/14 08:09 PM

If it is venison, I set the temperature at 133F to get the middle to Med-Rare. Then I sear the outside to finish it. If you go much higher with venison it is not worth eating.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/27/14 02:43 PM

Tried it but I did something wrong because I dodn't like the texture. Buddy of mine loves to do it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/27/14 03:25 PM

yep, best way to cook lean meat plus the "gravy" is great!!
Posted By: Justin T

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 11/28/14 02:26 AM

You need to do the redneck sous vide. All you need is a cooler and a thermometer. Either vacuum seal or put in a ziplock, remove all the air. Then put in hot water at the temp you want, say 130 degrees. Shut the lid. Add more hot water for long cooks.
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 12/09/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
You need to do the redneck sous vide. All you need is a cooler and a thermometer. Either vacuum seal or put in a ziplock, remove all the air. Then put in hot water at the temp you want, say 130 degrees. Shut the lid. Add more hot water for long cooks.

I saw method that in Field and Stream a month or two ago. Going to try it soon. Works well?

Re: Anyone sous Vide? - 12/09/14 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
yep, best way to cook lean meat plus the "gravy" is great!!

Did a batch of chicken for my lunch's and man I don't think I can ever cook chicken the normal way again. Simply amazing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum