Texas Hunting Forum

Need help

Posted By: tony3487

Need help - 06/02/13 07:51 PM

Im not a great cook but I enjoy doing it. I've never smoked anything before and I was thinking of giving it a shot next weekend.

I was thinking of smoking a pork loin but I don't know how long I should do it or how to prepare it before hand.

Any advice?
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Need help - 06/02/13 08:27 PM

I don't know about using a real smoker, but on a Weber gas grill we put wood chips over one of the burners and cook on the other end.

I take a pork loin and put the fat side up in a foil pan. I coat all sides and the ends with Fajita seasoning, salt, and pepper. I put a meat thermometer in the middle of one end. I put a foil tent on the pan with just one end open a little to let some smoke in. When the thermometer hits 160 I take it out. Seems like on the Weber gasser it only takes about an hour or just over. I'm not sure what the temp was---not that terribly hot.

We use a foil pan because a regular pan would be pretty hard to clean up after smoking.

Re: Need help - 06/03/13 03:31 AM

Ok, sounds good.

What king of wood do you use?
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Need help - 06/03/13 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: tony3487
Ok, sounds good.

What king of wood do you use?

I like hickory. Mesquite can be good in moderation, but it's a little to overbearing for me.
Posted By: KC

Re: Need help - 06/03/13 04:50 PM

Hickory and pecan are good on pork. I usually do a loin in olive oil with garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to the safe internal temp (don't have the list in front of me). Should be around 3 hours, you can always finish in the oven to make sure it gets hot enough.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Need help - 06/03/13 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: KC
Hickory and pecan are good on pork. I usually do a loin in olive oil with garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to the safe internal temp (don't have the list in front of me). Should be around 3 hours, you can always finish in the oven to make sure it gets hot enough.

^^^this is pretty simple and should turn out good ... I am a bit old school when it comes to pork and take the internal temperature to at least 160-165*F to be on the safe side, especially if it is feral pork ... the USDA has recently reduced their recommended internal temperature to 145*F though ...
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_052411_01/index.asp
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Need help - 06/03/13 06:47 PM

Get a meat thermometer!!! Smoke to 145 then wrap in foil for 20-30 minutes.

Re: Need help - 06/03/13 07:25 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: KC

Re: Need help - 06/04/13 04:20 PM

One of my favorite things to do with wild pork is smoke it like I said above, then put it in a covered dish in the oven with a cup of chicken broth on 300 for about 30 minutes. Take it out, shred it in the dish and let it sit in the broth for a few minutes. Some of the best sandwiches you'll ever eat.

Re: Need help - 06/05/13 01:52 AM

Ok, that just made my mouth water
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum