Texas Hunting Forum

Making Deer Hamburger Meat

Posted By: Spiderman

Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/23/12 10:35 AM

When you make hamburger meat out of deer meat, what % do you use?

It's been a while since I ground any, but it seems like it was 50% deer meat and 50% beef fat. I know that seems like alot of beef fat but I think that is how we used to do it.

The final product was fairly lean when cooking.

Thanks,
James
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/23/12 01:14 PM

I mix mine with 25% bacon 75% deer meat. Try it, you'll like it.
Posted By: don k

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/23/12 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I mix mine with 25% bacon 75% deer meat. Try it, you'll like it.
Same as me.
Posted By: thechopblock

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/24/12 01:17 AM

When we make ground deer for our customers, most get 80% venison and 20% beef fat. Some get 90/10, and a few get 70/30.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/24/12 03:37 PM

If you mix bacon use those big boxes of bacon ends they sell in the cheap section. Easier on the wallet than regular bacon.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/24/12 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet
If you mix bacon use those big boxes of bacon ends they sell in the cheap section. Easier on the wallet than regular bacon.

X2 on the big boxes of bacon. I use 15% bacon and it is plenty for me and i love bacon
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/24/12 04:08 PM

I'm glad I asked, so it sounds like 80/20 mix is what I need to use for beef fat.

Follow up question is that by "weight" or "volume" once it's ground up?

Where are you buying the "big boxes" of bacon ends......Sam's?

Bacon sounds interesting never thought of that.
Posted By: thechopblock

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/25/12 12:47 AM

Measure the 80/20 based on weight.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/28/12 06:35 PM

I usually grind mine 90/10 using venison and beef fat. You can get all the beef fat you want at most grocery stores that do some of their own butchering. Just ask them a day or 2 in advance and they will hold it for you. I just tell them approx how many lbs I need and they wrap ip up in plastic just like any other cut of meat but cost is $0.00. I'm not a fan of the bacon/venison deal. If you plan on just making hamburgers, then fine. But we use the ground venison for everything from chili, to spaghetti, lasagna, enchiladas, etc, etc. Anything you normally use ground beef for we substitute with ground venison. If I want bacon for a specific meal (like making burgers), I just add it in when I'm ready for it. And x3 on the bacon ends. Much cheaper if you aren't looking for slices.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 09/29/12 12:59 PM

Got rained out at the Ranch but plowed ahead w/ the LandPirate recipe last night n the Burgers, great success 75 Axis 25 Bacon

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 10/01/12 01:15 PM

Do the same as Scott1- I get beef trimmings (what they trim off the carcasses before cutting into customer portions) from a butcher friend of mine. Mix 2.5# of trimmings with 12.5# of lean deer to make a mix about 85% lean / 15% fat.
Use about the same ratio when I make wild hog sausage (get pork trimmings from same friend), but use 3# trimmings to 12# pork. Mix the meat, then add the spices I want.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 10/06/12 07:45 PM

I did an 83/17 mix last year and it was a little too much fat for me. Im a fan of the 90/10.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Making Deer Hamburger Meat - 10/07/12 04:56 PM

I've never had any complaints on my recipe. When grilling you'll lose a lot of the fat, so the 25% bacon works really well.

I've also mixed seasoning salt, black pepper and worchestershire sauce in the meat before cooking. A pack of Lipton's French Onion Dip mix makes some tasty burgers too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum