Texas Hunting Forum

Where is some real good Fried Catfish?

Posted By: Stub

Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/18/16 08:51 PM

We get some very good and large portion Catfish at Big Shucks in Richardson, anybody know of a must go to place?
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/19/16 04:11 AM

Catfish Corner in Abilene has been very good over the years
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/19/16 10:41 AM

Catfish Sam's in Arlington.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/19/16 10:41 AM

There was a thread recently there Cast was recommending the Circle S Catfish Grill in Haslet.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/19/16 11:15 AM

Hilltop Cafe between Fbg. and Mason.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/19/16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
There was a thread recently there Cast was recommending the Circle S Catfish Grill in Haslet.

This^^^
Tried to get in Friday evening after 6:30 and the wait was nearing an hour. I am not waiting on the inlaws anymore for dinner. We normally go at 5:15.
Posted By: TLoving

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/23/16 01:47 PM

In Goodrich, which is 8 miles south of Livingston, try Hughes Catfish.

In Pasadena, a suburb of Houston, try Sudie's.

In both of these places the catfish is coated lightly with cornmeal and a little salt. No heavy breading at either place.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/24/16 04:00 PM

Stub...head north up Central Expwy to just a scootch past Sherman...go past the Hwy 503 fancyfied Welcome to Denison exit sign on the right, and get off at the very next exit about 3/4's a mile ummm called Loy Lake as I recall, a tad further north. At the north bound Service road stop sign, in front of the Fossil Creek liqour store, turn right & go ONE SHORT block and turn left. Hucks is the next red brick bldg north on the left.

Google "Hucks Catfish in Denison" to see how they rate and what the reviews say. Well worth the drive, IMO. Probably gonna make it the 3 hours back up there for my Birthday Dinner....and let the BH drive home so's I can sleep it off in the back seat.

Missisippi Farm Raised filets that has to be eaten to be believed, in an egg washed white corn meal batter. I stopped getting the 3 piece Dinner & backed off to the 2 piece since they are 3-4 times the size of most catfish filets I see served these days, so's I can finish a basket of the Fried Shrimp too. Careful getting in a hurry to start as the Filets are nuclear hot when they hit the table, raised a few welts in my mouth more than once... try the killer green tomato relish too

Edit: I believe each filet weighs about a 1/3rd lb, and you can order however many filets you want on a dinner order with all the sides.
Ron
Posted By: Cast

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/24/16 04:14 PM

Circle S in Haslet is as good as I've ever had. Maybe better.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/28/16 12:04 AM

David Beards Catfish King
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/29/16 02:30 PM

If you're ever in Temple, Chucks BBQ on the corner of Adams and Pea Ridge has great catfish. I wouldn't drive cross country for fish, but its the best I've had in a while. For having "BBQ" in their name, their bbq wasn't worth a flip.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/29/16 02:32 PM

Oh, and Fridays are all you can eat catfish up

I think you just helped me pick where we're going to eat tonight roflmao
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/30/16 12:02 AM

Like WC said Huck's in Denison makes some very fine fish
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 07/31/16 06:14 PM

Z's Catfish on Rockwall
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/01/16 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1
Z's Catfish on Rockwall

x2
Posted By: bp3

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/03/16 01:01 AM

+ 2 on Huck's and a place ( can't recall name ) north of Jasper toward Sam Rayburn about 7-8 miles used to have good catfish. rifle
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 12:49 AM

ask them to see the box the catfish comes in just sayin

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
David Beards Catfish King

I've asked around east Texas about him and never got a good review. We all grew up on Big Pines catfish though.

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Most all restaurants are going to get their catfish from distributors like Sysco or ben e keith. What sets others apart is what they do with the fish once its thawed and prepared. Good restaurants will increase their food cost by having a well trained eye cut out ALL the blood line and gray skin. This is where the mud flavor comes from. I have never had a bad piece of fish at Circle S in Haslet. Somebody knows what they're doing.

Trimmed>non-trimmed

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 12:36 PM

I concur. If they're closed, Tater Junction is a good old staple.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 02:05 PM

Dos Chiles in Bridgeport has pretty good catfish. Not like Circle S but it aint bad.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 02:47 PM

If you want good catfish you have to cook it yourself. I don't eat fried fish at restaurants. I have it at least once a week at home. I've never found any restaurant that can cook it as good as I can at home.

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If you want good catfish you have to cook it yourself. I don't eat fried fish at restaurants. I have it at least once a week at home. I've never found any restaurant that can cook it as good as I can at home.

I challenge you to try Circle S. I cook it too and mine is good. I go there instead.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 04:47 PM

I'll go another vote for Huck's in Denison.

Tommy's Burgers in FTW has good catfish, too.

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 10:42 PM

What is your recipe? Flour or cornmeal, what spices Pepper etc, type of oil. Appreciate the info I recently got a deep fryer and ready to get after it up
Posted By: bp3

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/07/16 11:35 PM

Trim good and soak in salt water. Corn meal, a little flour, lemon pepper and don't need salt. Fry at 375 degrees for 6 minutes. food

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/08/16 02:08 AM

Rinse after soaking in salt water.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/08/16 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub

What is your recipe? Flour or cornmeal, what spices Pepper etc, type of oil. Appreciate the info I recently got a deep fryer and ready to get after it up

I like to cut my fillets into fairly small pieces. I use cornmeal. Sometimes I season it with lemon pepper or Tony's, sometimes just strait cornmeal. I make a good tarter sauce: 1/3 sweet relish, 1/3 dill relish, 1/3 purple onion, a squeeze of lemon, a shake of Worshtershire, and enough mayo to hold it together.
I like to cut up my own French fries as well.
I use regular vegetable oil because it's cheaper. I'll strain it and reuse it one time.
I usually eat enough while cooking that I'm full by the time I bring it into the house.
I started cooking on an electric fryer a few years ago unless I'm cooking for 10 or more.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/09/16 08:53 PM

Not sure if they're still doing it or not, but when I lived in Austin the Manchaca Volunteer Fire Dept had a fish fry every Friday. Styrofoam to-go box with fried catfish, a couple hush puppies and either beans, tater salad, or cole slaw for $7.95, with a canned soft drink. Used to be 11am to 2:00 or whenever they ran out of fish. Was some dang good catfish. They'd make enough each Friday for about 100 plates and I don't think I ever heard of them not selling out. Decent money-maker for a VFD, too.
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/10/16 03:22 PM

Brazos River Café has some of the best catfish ive ever had. Right on the Brazos ON i20

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/10/16 04:27 PM

Heading north coming in to Witchita Falls there is a good catfish place on the left. Anybody know that place? Been too long.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/10/16 05:23 PM

Right west of the Rail over pass? It burned down many year ago. Can't remember the name

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/10/16 05:43 PM

That's the one. Dang.

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/10/16 08:35 PM

Catfish O'Harleys on 287 just north of 380 is Not good loser8
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/10/16 09:39 PM

Boxes plural... Lot of fish sold as catfish...

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/11/16 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Right west of the Rail over pass? It burned down many year ago. Can't remember the name

Uncle Lynn's. That place was dang good. Was in WEST clay county on the Wichita county line.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/11/16 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: topwater13

Uncle Lynn's. That place was dang good. Was in east clay county on the Wichita county line.
I agree. Never knew why they never rebuilt.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/11/16 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Circle S in Haslet is as good as I've ever had. Maybe better.
Think me and the wifey may give this place a try.

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/11/16 11:30 AM

Let us know after you try it. Great burger too.

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/11/16 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Originally Posted By: topwater13

Uncle Lynn's. That place was dang good. Was in east clay county on the Wichita county line.
I agree. Never knew why they never rebuilt.

It was owned and strictly operated by a husband and wife. I think after the insurance money paid off, they decided they had enough of the restaurant business. I heard by that time, they had made enough to retire anyway.

P.S. Post edited above, the restaurant in question was in WEST Clay county, not east. I am getting old.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/18/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal

...Coal you hit it on the head...I am at restaurant depot three times a week and know of MANY and I MEAN MANY catfish places around the `Plex that are now serving SWAI or BASA.....One in particular in Carrollton advertises AMERICAN catfish but they are there every day buying either of the two.....I heard one lady in front of me tell the people she is allergic to BASA and SWAI because of the additives...They told her it was American..She asked to see the box and they asked her to leave.....
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/18/16 04:18 AM

ken's catfish in marble falls is mighty good!
Posted By: FiveTens

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/23/16 02:28 PM

Hucks catfish
PJ's in Irving (unbelievable)
McClains at Cedar Creek Lake
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/23/16 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
That's the one. Dang.

Just head north of WF on 79 and cross the river. Bill's will be on your left. food
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/24/16 01:16 AM

Bills

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/24/16 06:51 PM

Next time at inlaws in WF will go to Bills
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 08/31/16 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
"Hucks Catfish in Denison"

Big +1!
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/09/16 06:26 PM

The sorta original location of Beards Catfish Village in Ore City was always the best and they served whole catfish not just the filets. I heard, but never confirmed, that the location still brings in fresh catfish daily. Big Pines seems to have lost its edge in recent years.

For a delicious catfish in a non-traditional setting, Dos Aces restaurant in Terrell - order the pescado entero frito. It is lightly fried, lots of yummy spices, and very moist.
Posted By: janie

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/16/16 01:41 PM

Preston Trail Farms. They are on Hwy 289 between Celina and Gunter. Fridays is all you can eat. We've been there several times and never disappointed.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/19/16 09:59 PM

I like to cut my fillets into fairly small pieces. I use cornmeal. Sometimes I season it with lemon pepper or Tony's, sometimes just strait cornmeal. I make a good tarter sauce: 1/3 sweet relish, 1/3 dill relish, 1/3 purple onion, a squeeze of lemon, a shake of Worshtershire, and enough mayo to hold it together.
I use regular vegetable oil because it's cheaper. I'll strain it and reuse it one time.
I usually eat enough while cooking that I'm full by the time I bring it into the house.
I started cooking on an electric fryer a few years ago unless I'm cooking for 10 or more.

I just cant wrap my mind around how fish battered in unseasoned corn meal even approaches good/great fried fish.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/19/16 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I just cant wrap my mind around how fish battered in unseasoned corn meal even approaches good/great fried fish.

Don't encourage him.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/19/16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I can understand it, some people actually like the taste of fish. Many places and people so over season the fish all you can taste is the seasoning.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/23/16 06:15 PM

Fox Hollow at PK is first class, nicely remodeled inside and out.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 09/24/16 10:56 PM

none better.

www.patsfishermanswharf.com
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/20/16 01:46 AM

Best, most fresh tastiest catfish I've ever had was at Godken's in Zapata back in the 1990s, think they are out of business or closed now. I hear El Paraiso in Zapata is pretty good catfish too, caught locally at Falcon Lake.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/25/16 05:08 AM

Catfish Cabin in Jasper. Call me crazy, but here in Houston I've eaten and really enjoyed the catfish at Texas Roadhouse.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/25/16 06:03 PM

Clear Springs Café in New Braunfels has great catfish. They have some good onion rings too!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/25/16 06:48 PM

Crows Fish and more. Just south of College Mound Vol Fire Dept in Kaufmann county. They are only open Friday and Saturday. They have a buffet, the pickles and green tomato relish tastes homemade (I don't know if it is or not). Really good catfish. My Dad's property is only about 10 minutes away, so we go there most times that I go visit.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/26/16 06:30 PM

I don't understand the cornmeal thing also. I use a 50/50 mix of flour and Italian bread crumbs. Lots of red pepper....so much the mix gets a red tint to it. Salt the fish right after they come out the grease. Thats a regular mix. If I want cajun flavor, I cut back on the Italian crumbs/red pepper and add lots of Slap Ya Momma cajun seasoning. Cut that fish up into small nuggets also. There is no heavy batter with this recipe. Its a light coating that browns up nicely when its done.

Add some jalapeno slaw and beans..... food

And beer.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/26/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Stub...head north up Central Expwy to just a scootch past Sherman...go past the Hwy 503 fancyfied Welcome to Denison exit sign on the right, and get off at the very next exit about 3/4's a mile ummm called Loy Lake as I recall, a tad further north. At the north bound Service road stop sign, in front of the Fossil Creek liqour store, turn right & go ONE SHORT block and turn left. Hucks is the next red brick bldg north on the left.

Google "Hucks Catfish in Denison" to see how they rate and what the reviews say. Well worth the drive, IMO. Probably gonna make it the 3 hours back up there for my Birthday Dinner....and let the BH drive home so's I can sleep it off in the back seat.

Missisippi Farm Raised filets that has to be eaten to be believed, in an egg washed white corn meal batter. I stopped getting the 3 piece Dinner & backed off to the 2 piece since they are 3-4 times the size of most catfish filets I see served these days, so's I can finish a basket of the Fried Shrimp too. Careful getting in a hurry to start as the Filets are nuclear hot when they hit the table, raised a few welts in my mouth more than once... try the killer green tomato relish too Edit: I believe each filet weighs about a 1/3rd lb, and you can order however many filets you want on a dinner order with all the sides.
Ron

Servin green tomato relish......man that sounds good.......they def got it goin on with the cat food

Servin cat without tomato relish is a sin. Like servin fish & chips without malt vinegar and tartar sauce.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/26/16 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Not legally. FDA supposedly does DNA batch testing on all imported fish.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Where is some real good Fried Catfish? - 10/31/16 02:58 AM

Huck's Catfish in Dennison is the best fried catfish I have ever had.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum