Texas Hunting Forum

Cooper's Barbecue in Llano

Posted By: passthru

Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 03:01 PM

First let me say I'm no barbecue connoisseur. But I have ate at enough of them around our great state to know that not all of it is good. And friends, this one ain't good. Meat was greasy and mediocre in flavor at best. The beans were not good. And that's the only side that comes with your meal. No tater salad, no rolls. Although they did throw some cheap ole white bread loaves on the table after we had finished our meal. And I had to pay extra for the bland blackberry cobbler. For $16 I got a longneck Budlite, half a chicken, a styrofoam bowl of beans and blackberry cobbler. I would have paid over $20 if I had added a serving of tater salad. The sauce is so watered down it tastes like water. You can see through it in the cup. The flavor of the chicken was okay but the texture was like it had been pre boiled. I was scraping the bottom of the bucket to get a bowl of the self serve beans. The table set up was pedestrian. In the heat waiting in line outside to get your meat, then a slow line inside to get anything else then get to your table adds insult to injury. It seems to be a popular place there and is the closest barbecue place to our lease but I will eat at DQ before I eat there again.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 03:07 PM

Not a big fan myself.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 03:26 PM

That place started going downhill the day Mr. Cooper sold it back in the 80's. I must have eaten there 100 times back in the day. Used to be excellent, now it's completely average.

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 03:29 PM

I think most people stop there because of the ambiance. It was unique.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 03:34 PM

Aren't there still several other BBQ joints in Llano?

Cooper's in Junction is so-so also. Lum's, up the street towards town, beats them by a mile.

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 04:03 PM

I live midway between the Swinging Door at Pecan Grove and Dozers in Fulshear. I got burned out on barbecue joints when I moved out here.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/18/16 08:30 PM

Meat was greasy and mediocre in flavor at best No tater salad, bland blackberry cobbler.

longneck Budlite, half a chicken, a styrofoam bowl of beans and blackberry cobbler. I would have paid over $20 if I had added a serving of tater salad.

Somebody get this man some Tater Salad quick rofl bolt

I ate their in the late 90's once and it was delicious up
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/19/16 02:00 PM

Eat there all the time during hunting season, can't beat the pork chop.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/19/16 03:47 PM

Cooper's thick pork chop, jalapeno sausage and rib-eye (when available) is about all I'll eat there. The brisket is hit or miss depending on the day. Their sauce is very old school and is a dipping sauce (also their mopping sauce), not your everyday thick & sweet BBQ sauce that so many people think of at a BBQ joint.

I prefer Inman's (1/4 mile west on north side of 29) Country Kitchen for brisket & turkey sausage. I usually stop in my Inman's and get a link of turkey sausage and a loaf of homemade bread any time I am passing thru. I have heard good things about Laird's south of the square but I haven't had a chance to try it out.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/20/16 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Cooper's thick pork chop, jalapeno sausage and rib-eye (when available) is about all I'll eat there. The brisket is hit or miss depending on the day. Their sauce is very old school and is a dipping sauce (also their mopping sauce), not your everyday thick & sweet BBQ sauce that so many people think of at a BBQ joint.

I prefer Inman's (1/4 mile west on north side of 29) Country Kitchen for brisket & turkey sausage. I usually stop in my Inman's and get a link of turkey sausage and a loaf of homemade bread any time I am passing thru. I have heard good things about Laird's south of the square but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

Thanx, we will give them a try.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 03:07 AM

Sorry for your disappointment, I always think it is spot.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 03:57 AM

Only things worth eating at Coopers are the pork chop and the pecan cobbler, which is the best pecan cobbler I have ever had.

Brisket, ribs, and sausage are mediocre at best.
Posted By: conifer

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Cooper's in Junction is so-so also. Lum's, up the street towards town, beats them by a mile.

Cooper's in Junction is NOT "so-so". It SUCKS big time.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: conifer
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Cooper's in Junction is NOT "so-so". It SUCKS big time.

I stand corrected. grin
Posted By: mikei

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 04:09 PM

There's a Cooper's in MASON, right next door to the Lowe's Supermarket, on 87 South, towards F'burg. Definitely worth a try the next time you pass through. I, too, have given on the Llano and Junction locations.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 07:07 PM

After reading this I can cross coopers in Fort Worth off my list of places to try.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 08:58 PM

We hunted Llano late '90s -2002. The big chop, beans and dessert was all we ate. Went by on the way to a hunt in 2006, and decided not to go back. (Very DRY) When Cooper's open in Ft Worth, we loaded up the crew and went.I will not go back.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/21/16 09:44 PM

Have yet to find a good Cooper's. Back in the day it was great but that was a long time ago.
Posted By: Nick1

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/28/16 09:33 PM

Stopped off there one day last summer while riding the HD through that area. I agree with OP. Food was greasy fatty and very expensive. Wasn't impressed. Thought Maybe we went on a bad day, so we went back couple months later, same. Mediocre at best. To each there own.
Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/29/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK

Been driving through Llano for the last 12 years traveling to/from the lease. I have only stopped at Cooper's a handful of times. My favorite is the pork chops but rest hasnt been memorable.

Thanks for the tip on Inman's as I have always wondered as it looks pretty busy when I pass through. I have also tried Miller's smokehouse/meatmarket but usually to buy steaks to grill--they have always been top notch.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/29/16 02:08 PM

Late to the party but totally agree with what has been said. Have stopped in 3-4 times with guys from work when we have a job out that way. Always underwhelming and the check is WAY to high. There is a great meat market there in town that we will normally stop at now and just get our own thick cut pork chops to grill.

Cool little place to say you have been to but that is about all.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/29/16 09:45 PM

Over rated. Pork chops pretty good.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/31/16 04:06 AM

Too smokey

Its like a trend now in bbq, the more smokey taste the better, and it should be the opposite, i like to taste the meat with a hint of smoke. If i need smoke i buy marlboro
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 07/31/16 05:42 PM

Beef ribs are spot on. Like the sirloin as well. Chicken is good too. It's hot and fast cooking so if you like big smoke flavor you will be disappointed.
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 08/02/16 06:47 PM

I was a fan the first few times I went there but after exploring some other places (Salt Lick, Franklins, etc) I realized that I didn't care for it as much.

Very heavily dependent on their seasonings but the meat just doesn't have the flavor or texture...
Posted By: AledoGYoung

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 08/19/16 06:27 PM

We always go to Laird's. The food is great and friendly people that run it!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 08/19/16 07:01 PM

Laird's is good, years ago he ran Coopers in Llano.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Cooper's Barbecue in Llano - 09/12/16 04:36 AM

Don't know if any of the joints are Cooper owned anymore. The one in Mason is the original, then Llano later. Only eaten at the Llano one once in the early 2000's, not Cooper owned, was not good. Have not tried any of the others.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum