Texas Hunting Forum

Where to eat in Palestine?

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/16/16 02:18 AM

Looks like we may be spending some time in the Palestine - Fairfield area...anybody got any place special to eat in Anderson or Freestone County?

Been a looong time since I ate at Sam's on I-45 and that's about all I remember of that area was fillin' the hole in my gut running to & from Sweat City that didn't give me the green apple quick turkey trots...
Ron
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/16/16 03:55 AM

I like El Toro OK for Mexican food in Palestine. It is too high for what you get but it's a supply/demand thing I suppose. There is a BBQ place called Doc's (I think) that is OK. Palestine is not all that great for restaurants.

I like Sam's in Fairfield too. The Mexican food place just up the interstate is good - can't think of the name but begins with a "G". Ponte's diner is good too.

That's all I got Ron.

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/20/16 04:02 AM

We ate at Sams's one nite and the buffet was pretty good, with lots of choices better than most. NP you are thinking about Giberto's, just north of Sam's I think.

Next nite we ate where the counter girl at the hotel suggested...El Toro. Food was good to better than average on some items, but a little spendy...which I thought was strange as the service left me waiting several times...to take an order - food delivered fresh & hot...but took forever to get the check so we could go "home" and argue about what we'd seen from the Realtor lady in Fairfield.

FWIW If El Toro's was as professional as Rose in Fairfiled is, IMO they'd do lots more bidnizz...and Willie in Palestine is a hoot to work with and could become a good friend in the future.

Wrote a Contract on a house the next morning with Willie & worked with a mortgage originator till noon...and ate the best meal of the whole week at Eilenbergers downtown for lunch. A little "Antique Tea Room " looking but the food is killer good and will become The place to take out of town guests for lunch.

The Anderson County Seller accepted our offer this morning, so we are headed to AC in late March or early April, after we close the deal with our Texoma buyer the last week of March too.

A old retired home builder buddy came down from Athens to walk the new place, and suggested we make Bradocks?? on Hwy 19 a regular 1/2 way each way lunch spot. Noticed the parking lot was full a little before 2'ish on the way back to Texoma.... gotta find a better way to get back to I-45 faster than 2 hours to North Park though.

Ya'll look for me at Archies Range in Oakwood later this spring after I find all my stuff again, or on RC or Palestine in a white 22' Key West CC Deep V Bayboat with a turquiose stripe...we'll be the only old folks yelling at each other about who caught the most/biggest fish I'm sure...and just mebbe can reach 50 years together in Dec '17.
Ron
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/21/16 04:05 AM

When I used to hunt out there I'd always go to El Toro. It was pretty good IMO. Thats been several years back
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/21/16 07:35 PM

McDonald's or Taco Bell, they are right on 19......

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/21/16 10:47 PM

clap Traveled many a mile in my 40 years on the road covering up to 33 states at a time...ate at too many Mickey D's to count, never memorably outstanding ....but ALWAYS safe to eat at McDonalds and my 1st choice in Fast Food everywhere.

The Bell's are hit and miss, the good ones are worth the wait which tells me that they ARE indeed a good place to eat cause the parking lot is full, and the bad ones are made note of to avoid at all costs.
Ron
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/23/16 11:50 AM

We had a good burger and a few drinks at the Pint & Barrel Brew Pub near downtown last year.
El Toro was also good.
Posted By: outdoor-addict

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 02/24/16 03:43 PM

El Toro is popular because of access to alcohol, but the food has really gotten bad, service is spotty, price is too high for the quality. Little Mexico is the better of the two. There is not a go to place in Palestine. I have heard good things about a new burger joint on west side near the big Shell travel center. Chili's is building across street from McDonalds. It's sad a town this size doesn't have a place to eat that is consistent in quality.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 03/04/16 04:01 PM

+1 on Little Mexico. There is a pretty new Italian place called Switch that is pretty good.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 03/06/16 12:32 AM

I like Little Mexico, but it's so dark in there I feel like I've been sent to the dungeon to await my hanging.... smile

Re: Where to eat in Palestine? - 03/24/16 07:49 PM

Last couple trips to Palestine, we've made a point to eat lunch at Eilenberger's, downtown on John St. Not hard to understand why they've been open in that location since 1908.

Yesterday, the BH & I split a CFS plate lunch, as we were in a panic rush to get to the Closing across the street from the Court House & only had a few minutes to eat....Dallas traffic was miserable. Next time we'll take our time and enjoy the so far always great food...and ya'll be sure to walk out with some of the bagged day old cookies too....that never quite make it back to Texoma.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum