Texas Hunting Forum

BBQ in Houston recommendations

Posted By: jetdad

BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/26/15 11:51 PM

Going to be in Houston next week. I want to pick up some BBQ to take over to my daughter's house. She lives near the Medical district. Is Goode Co any good? Any other recommendations? I'm staying near the Galleria. Thanks
Posted By: Cast

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/26/15 11:55 PM

The mom and pop stores were always the best for us but that was 25 years ago.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 12:22 AM

I've heard good things about Luling City Market on Richmond. Haven't been there myself.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 01:17 AM

Goode Co is the most consistent..
Posted By: DavidP

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 01:30 AM

Just south of Houston in Pearland, Killens BBQ, much better than Goode.
Posted By: BigCohiba

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 05:05 AM

There's a Rudy's out on 290 near beltway 8. It's the closest location to where you are staying. I honestly haven't been impressed with any BBQ in Houston. When I want good BBQ, I drive to Lockhart or cook my own.
Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 02:00 PM

Don't waste your money at Goode, it's overpriced and cooked poorly (in my opinion, of course). Take the extra time to drive to Killen's in Pearland, or Corkscrew in Spring...they are both totally worth it. In Houston itself, there is Gaitlin's.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 02:39 PM

I worked at the Houston Galleria for 8 or 10 years. I always thought Luling City Market, on Richmond, just inside the loop, was really good. You might call it 'traditional', with wax paper instead of plates. Really good food, and it fills up fast at lunchtime, so get there early, like 11:15 or so.

There was another BBQ place around there that I also liked, but I just cannot remember the name or location.

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 02:58 PM

I recall a little place in the Village, on the corner of Morningside and Times that had great BBQ and iced down bottle beer. He also had a wheel of cheddar. I always got a slice. That was really good on top of a shredded beef sammich. It was just him and his mom running the place. Very popular.

There was a similar place in Fulshear, way out west on Westpark. This one was close to home, the other one was close to work. Man I miss those places.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 12/27/15 03:50 PM

Gatlins bbq usually wins best bbq awards year in and year out.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/11/16 01:51 PM

Luling city market is always good, Linden's on Hollister used to be good. But I haven't eaten there in years.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/11/16 02:26 PM

Is the Brisket House any count?

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/11/16 03:14 PM

I always stick with fresh seafood when in Houston. Lived there 15+ years and don't remember any outstanding BBQ.
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/11/16 03:49 PM

Prob too far of a drive from Houston for the OP, but Austin's BBQ in Eagle Lake is pretty darn good. Beats the heck out of Mikeskas in Columbus.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/11/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DavidP
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/11/16 07:54 PM

Roegels Barbque
2223 S. Voss Houston, Texas 77057
Posted By: TLoving

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/12/16 02:05 AM

Burns BBQ on DePriest and Lyndon's On Hollister near 290 both are pretty good.

Gatlins on Ella between 34th and 43rd is my current favorite.

I have yet to try Killens or Corkscrew.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/12/16 02:22 AM

I mentioned Luling's on Richmond, but if we're going outside Houston, I have a real favorite. In the Woodlands, on Sawdust road, about 1/4 mile west of I-45, is the Pit Master. Checkered tablecloths, good BBQ, pretty waitresses, and retro country music. I am fond of that place. And look in the white cooler against the wall near the front counter. Ya gotta look...

And there's a BBQ place in Conroe, on Hwy 105, west of I-45, that has the best tasting BBQ I can recall. What I can't recall is the name of the place.

Dang...I'm hungry.
Posted By: west-tex

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/12/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: DavidP

Don't wast your money barf
Posted By: Hunt Texas

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/12/16 05:33 PM

Harris County Smokehouse, near intersection of 290 & Hwy 6/FM 1960. Been going there for 15 years and never had a bad meal there. They also do a great breakfast!
Posted By: firemack

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/21/16 06:44 PM

Papa Charlies! You won't regret it!
Posted By: decook

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/24/16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: newulmboy
Prob too far of a drive from Houston for the OP, but Austin's BBQ in Eagle Lake is pretty darn good. Beats the heck out of Mikeskas in Columbus.

Mikeskas in Columbus? That crap wouldn't get fed to the barking neighbors dog. Ive never in my like revolted BBQ until I ate there over 10 years ago. Once. Its so bad that everyone should try it once just so you know just how bad BBQ can really be.

It sets the bar in barf. sick
Posted By: decook

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/24/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I mentioned Luling's on Richmond, but if we're going outside Houston, I have a real favorite. In the Woodlands, on Sawdust road, about 1/4 mile west of I-45, is the Pit Master. Checkered tablecloths, good BBQ, pretty waitresses, and retro country music. I am fond of that place. And look in the white cooler against the wall near the front counter. Ya gotta look...

And there's a BBQ place in Conroe, on Hwy 105, west of I-45, that has the best tasting BBQ I can recall. What I can't recall is the name of the place.

Dang...I'm hungry.

603Country I think you are talking about the Vernon's Kuntry Bar-B-Que. That's the one in a funny looking little building. I agree it is pretty darned good. If I didn't enjoy smoking meat I wouldn't need to go any further than here for my BBQ fix.

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/24/16 11:31 PM

There was a place on the main drag in Rosenberg, don't remember the name but I saw it was still there last month. I did not get to try it. I would be willing though, it was good forty years ago.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/25/16 03:07 AM

Been here 38 years, the old Mom and Dad places are gone now so has the outstanding BBQ; but, just about anyplace in Houston is acceptable I guess.
Posted By: rickym

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/26/16 01:07 PM

Drive up to tomball and try the rib tickler. You won't regret it. I've been to Goode co. once and never again. Carl's on 290@ telge is pretty good.
Posted By: 30378

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/27/16 12:08 AM

Roegel's Barbecue
Posted By: TxAg

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/27/16 05:59 PM

Gatlins is popular but runs out.

Killens is highly regarded but I've never been there.

Honestly, when I want good brisket I hit Rudy's in Katy. Good as any of the others I can order the exact cut I want. Eat there once a week.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: BBQ in Houston recommendations - 01/29/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Ackley_improved
Don't waste your money at Goode, it's overpriced and cooked poorly (in my opinion, of course). Take the extra time to drive to Killen's in Pearland, or Corkscrew in Spring...they are both totally worth it. In Houston itself, there is Gaitlin's.

I agree with you on Goode BBQ, but... I'll walk through cactus invested fields barefooted to eat a Goode Seafood Campechana. Yum, yum!

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum