Posted By: BigPig

Catfish O'harlies - 10/19/15 04:49 AM

That place any good? Located in Decatur
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/19/15 11:50 AM

Its ok. Nothing to write home about
Posted By: Cast

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/19/15 02:47 PM

NO! Just go West on 114 in Rhome, and Tater Junction is a couple miles down on the left, at the yellow blinking light. Good home cooking, catfish, froglegs, meatloaf. You won't leave hungry.

We went once to O'Harleys, that was enough.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/19/15 02:48 PM

With a name like Tater Junction, it's got to be good! Gonna have to try it.
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/20/15 04:44 AM

It was just OK when it opened - maybe 10-15 years ago, gotten worse and we just drive on by these days.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/20/15 03:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. What about the joint next to it? Can't think of the name
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/21/15 01:52 PM

Bono's is the place next to it. Its ok but nothing to write home about. O'harlies sux
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/21/15 06:44 PM

I can remember going up there to eat fish as a kid. Been years, pops says its pretty rough these days. I wouldn't step foot in Bono's, dated a girl that used to work up there.
Tater junction is okay, but I have never understood the rave about it. Solid but nothing to get excited about
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/22/15 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Bono's is the place next to it. Its ok but nothing to write home about. O'harlies sux

Nailed it up

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/22/15 08:23 PM

Sean's BBQ is just South of O'Harley's, same side of road. Real good TexMex is at Casa Torrez. Turn right just past WalMart at light and go Southish for a mile or so, on the right, full parking lot. Try the Pork and Cactus in red sauce.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/22/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie

Dang, every time I drive by there is a crowd.

How is Sweety Pies? I noticed they don't post prices on the online menu
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/23/15 01:19 AM

Sweety Pies is OK. It's owned by the same group that owns Babe's. Prices are reasonable for what you get.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/25/15 06:55 PM

Catfish Charlies in Corpus is excellent!
Posted By: conifer

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/25/15 07:37 PM

"I wouldn't step foot in Bono's,"
Bono's here in Gainesville Florida truly sucks. The food is terrible; the tables are sticky/dirty; the service sucks. Need I say more?
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/25/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
Sweety Pies is OK. It's owned by the same group that owns Babe's. Prices are reasonable for what you get.

Solid review.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/26/15 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf

Debatable New Gulf.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/29/15 12:51 PM

If in a hurry I would give Giant Burger a try just south of there in Rhome.....best burger you will ever get out of a walk up/gas station joint.
Roosters on the square in Decatur isn't bad either.
Circle S just south of 287 going toward Saginaw has really good catfish.....except I don't really like their tartar sauce, so I use tabasco.
Dang...now I want catfish for breakfast.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/29/15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: topwater13
If in a hurry I would give Giant Burger a try just south of there in Rhome.....best burger you will ever get out of a walk up/gas station joint.
Circle S just south of 287 going toward Saginaw has really good catfish.....except I don't really like their tartar sauce, so I use tabasco.

Is Giant Burger in the gas station on the north side of the highway? I think that's where I stop for fuel, may have to try it

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/30/15 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Is Giant Burger in the gas station on the north side of the highway? I think that's where I stop for fuel, may have to try it

Yessir...it is in the same building as the exxon station on the NE side at the 114 west exit. I highly recommend them. Let me know what you think.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/30/15 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: erathar

Debatable New Gulf.

not to me and i've only eaten there about 50 times and having grown up on the coast i know what good seafood is

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/30/15 04:39 PM

Yep, the Exxon at the 114 west exit. I used to go there but the owner is a foreigner with an attitude and a big mouth. I told him so the last time I was there. Won't go back. The burger is big, but is pretty tasteless. I'll take a Whataburger any day.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/30/15 04:41 PM

A much better burger is in Boyd at the Freedom Fried Burger joint. Real good old school burger and bun on the grill. A few old men sitting around telling lies...

I fit right in.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/30/15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Yep, the Exxon at the 114 west exit. I used to go there but the owner is a foreigner with an attitude and a big mouth. I told him so the last time I was there. Won't go back. The burger is big, but is pretty tasteless. I'll take a Whataburger any day.

Hahahahahaha! Whataburger over "tasteless" GB is blasphemy. I am new to the area, but there really isn't any comparison here. To each their own I guess. What did that guy do to piss you off Cast? I don't think he is starting a wise county isis faction?

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/30/15 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Hahahahahaha! Whataburger over "tasteless" GB is blasphemy. I am new to the area, but there really isn't any comparison here. To each their own I guess. What did that guy do to piss you off Cast? I don't think he is starting a wise county isis faction?

I was cutting up with the ladies behind the counter while picking up my burger. The owner made a rude remark to the lady I was talking to. I looked at him and said man, you're wound pretty tightly today. He stared at me and cursed in his native language. Then I got wound up and it was done.

I always thought the burger meat really needed seasoning, bland. The fries are no good frozen used to be taters. They charge too much for jalapenos. The burgers are too expensive I think, too.

Seriously, try the burger joint just down 114 in Boyd. You're new to the area, so look at Go Go Gumbo while you are there. It is across the street from Freedom Fried Burgers. Tater Junction has a better burger than GB too. BTW, GB used to be much better before it changed hands. I was there when the Exxon was the Road Runner cafe, way before GB was built. Great Mountain Oysters...

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 10/31/15 07:33 AM

^^^^I will agree with the fact that it is overpriced for a burger. I always get the tater tots tho....it is around $10 for a cheeseburger and tots with grilled japs......NO DRINK!!!!
We eat tater all the time. Not terrible. I like GOGO as well...they just get a bit carried away with their no-substitution/altering policy...and they are pretty pricy as well.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 11/01/15 01:48 AM

Debatable New Gulf.

not to me and i've only eaten there about 50 times and having grown up on the coast i know what good seafood is

Must be why the are struggling to keep the doors open. But yes, you are an expert.

Re: Catfish O'harlies - 11/01/15 10:20 PM

Debatable New Gulf.

Must be why the are struggling to keep the doors open. But yes, you are an expert.

Not an expert but not a know it all either. I grew up shrimping, oystering and grew up in the salt grass so yes I know what I'm talking about....Lots of good places struggling to keep the doors open these days
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum