Texas Hunting Forum

Calling out the Tyler Boys

Posted By: Eagle 1

Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/28/12 01:23 PM

I may be moving to the Tyler area in the near future. As for BBQ, I have had the ribs at Stanley's and dig the Purple Pig in Noonday, so I'm good to go there; however, fill me in on the following:
1) Steakhouse
2) Mexican
3) Italian
4) Burger

Thanks, JMc

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/28/12 01:42 PM

1) Steakhouse - Forget it, Tyler needs a steahouse. Only place that I even halfway think has a decent Steak is Coyote Sams.

2) Old El Charro - Get the Enchiladas and Eggs, 2 Cheese Enchiladas, With Two fried Eggs on top of them, covered in chile.

3)Italian - Yeah we have an Olive Garden, doe that count? No seriously. Little Italy is decent but nothing I would call outstanding here in Tyler.

4) The Blue Store in Noonday, good old fashion burgers

Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/28/12 01:55 PM

1.) Drive to Dallas. Dakota's is okay, but ain't all that good
2.) Taqueria El Lugar. It's a taco shop. They have one on 5th St. by tjc and another on Beckam, north of town. Freakin awesome. Doesn't score very high on the health grade scale, but who cares. I like El Charo, it's the hometown mexican food. There is also Mercado's and Posado's, they're the same thing.
3.) Bruno's is probably the best Italian food in town. The only place I know that can make salad unhealthy. It's great.
4.) Blue Store in Noonday is the best. Jucy's makes a good burger.

Also, just a suggestion, go try the Country Tavern out towards Kilgore for their ribs and Rib Masters in Whitehouse. They're pretty good too.

All of these are local.

Good luck over there. I love that area and miss it a bunch!

Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/28/12 01:57 PM

Chuck,
I looks like we'reon the same page!

Posted By: Quack Whacker

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/29/12 11:28 AM

For good Italian- Sal's in Henderson is worth the drive.
Jucy'sx2 for Burger

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/29/12 12:45 PM

If you want Juicy's goto the original in Longview. Whataburger is better than the Juicy's we have in Tyler.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/29/12 03:32 PM

Tavern has real good ribs and it is close to Tyler.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 06/29/12 03:32 PM

Country Tavern that is.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/02/12 01:21 AM

Had Thanksgiving dinner at the Noonday Blue Store...mmmmgood!

Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/03/12 08:22 PM

If you like mud bugs, go to Big Sandy for some at the Crawfish Shack.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/04/12 12:07 AM

Wade's in Chandler beats the pants off the Crawfish shack. Spent 12 years of my life in Lousiana and it is the best I have found in East Texas so far.

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/04/12 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Eagle 1
I may be moving to the Tyler area in the near future. As for BBQ, I have had the ribs at Stanley's and dig the Purple Pig in Noonday, so I'm good to go there; however, fill me in on the following:
1) Steakhouse
2) Mexican
3) Italian
4) Burger

Thanks, JMc

I'm a big fan of both Stanley's and the Purple Pig too.

1) Kiepersol Winery south of Tyler cooks a good steak, albeit expensive. I prefer to grill my own.
2) Wife likes Chuys, a chain, but I prefer Tony's Taqueria on the Frankston Hiway, just inside the loop.
3) Another vote for Brunos.
4) The Blue Store is good and just a mile from my house, but I kinda like Legends in Bullard maybe a little better.

Posted By: jts728

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/14/12 04:19 AM

Pats BBQ off of 31 east on 850 going towards Jamestown used to be the best. Now that pat and mrs Gee died the boys are running it now. It not as good as it used to be but still pretty good. Been going there since I was 5 yrs old, looks like a rough place but it's ok to go to. Taqueria el Lugar on 271 by carrier is pretty good Mexican, and Bruno's is good Italian. Steaks, well I don't buy them in Tyler, but I do drive to saledo and go to Johnny's steak house once a week. Best steak I have had besides mine.

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/16/12 05:03 PM

Steak--Sadly, Texas Road House may be the best. Go to the butcher on 31 east and the loop, buy a steak and cook it at home.

Mexican--Original Don Juan's on Erwin

Italian--Little Italy

Burger--Blue Store. Burgers are great and there is something to be said for eating in a gas station/grocery store/convenience store/bait shop/local gathering spot/restaurant/....

BBQ has started to get shotty. Stanley's is not as good as it was before the current owner. Seems it went to .... when the socialites and BScene got a hold of it. Ribs have got rosemarry or some crap on them. Same goes for the Purple Pig.

Guy in the parking lot at Tucker's on the line on 31 east has got the mudbugs for my money.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 07/16/12 08:05 PM

Was down this past weekend and hit Oliveto for Italian...was pretty good. I've been to Little Italy many times as it's only a few blocks away from my youngest sons house. I agree with the Purple Pig; however, the beef has been great but the pork has been average. I think it's Cumin and Apricot jam on the ribs at Stanley's.
Funniest damn thing happened while at Mercados...I ordered a Glenlivet Neat at the bar. Young cutie serves me up Glenlivet...in a shot glass! Classic.

Posted By: Erny

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 08/01/12 03:36 AM

1) Steakhouse - your out of luck go to outback
2) Mexican - Villa Montez On Hwy 64 just east of town pricy but worth it
3) Italian - Little Italy....pizza brunos
4) Burger - Smashburger chain....local Juicys

By the way the best ribs I have ever had are at Country Tavern in Kilgore.

Posted By: matt117

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 08/01/12 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Eagle 1
1) Steakhouse
2) Mexican
3) Italian
4) Burger

Thanks, JMc

1) I have had some good steaks (Filet) at Bernard’s Mediterranean
2) Taquaria El Lindo on Gentry have the #8 Burrito with Steak
3) Little Italy
4) Blue Store in Noonday

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/05/12 02:59 AM

Headed your way tomorrow..anything new in town?
Posted By: Indian Tim

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/05/12 02:10 PM

Try the ountry meat Market on front, it's an old-fashion meat market. They process deer also.
Posted By: Indian Tim

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/05/12 02:11 PM

Country Meat Market

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/08/12 03:17 AM

Well, I never made it out of Poynor (son's place). Did some shooting and dog work and just stayed around. Headed back in Nov.
Posted By: matthew007

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/10/12 07:54 PM

Steak-Applebee's
Mexican--CHUY'S the best restraunt n tyler
Italian-idk
Burger--braums

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/11/12 03:08 AM

Your crazy the Chuy's in Tyler is the worst one in the state and I think I have been to just about all of them. I was excited when they put in the Chuy's here, ate there once will never go back. El Charro, Lindo, heck even on the border is better,
Posted By: BUD MAN

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/11/12 03:28 AM

Definitely have to do Country Tavern. Loggins is the place I always have to hit when in Tyler.
Posted By: ScooterG

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/12/12 04:59 PM

more votes for Bruno's, Country Tavern, El Charro's, El Lugar's and Noonday store. I moved from Tyler in '93. Family is still there. When I visit it's usually Pizza friday night at Bruno's, Rib's Saturday night at CT, either El Charro before we head back to Bryan on Sunday. If I'm in a hurry to get home I call in a burger at Noonday. El Lugar has my mouth watering. I don't get on that side of town often but that #7 is unmatched anywhere in the world.
Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 10/14/12 07:26 AM

I'm in Tyler once a month and I love Bruno's hamburger pizza with extra cheese.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 11/22/12 01:16 AM

Hit Tyler yesterday...Los Gueros on Vine for breakfast burritos and El Lugar today for lunch...both are great.
Posted By: cory_cooper

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 11/22/12 01:44 AM

brunos id good for pizza but for italian try marios on south broadway, hamburgers you cant go wrong with juicy's on 5th street. mexican there are a ton of good options my favorite is the old gilbert el charros on 31. steakhouse not a real good option in tyler but dakotas isnt bad
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 11/26/12 08:14 PM

Steakhouse-none
Mexican- Don Juans, El charro
Italian- Bruno's
Burger- Jucy's
Posted By: markjackn

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 12/18/12 03:51 AM

Steakhouse - Forget it, Tyler needs a steahouse. Only place that I even halfway think has a decent Steak is Coyote Sams.?
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 12/31/12 01:13 AM

Roadhouse
El Charro's
Bruno's
Blue Store

You have to eat the ribs at Country Tavern.
food

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 12/31/12 03:18 PM

Hit El Charro on 5th...not as good as expected. Much better Mexican food here in the Panhandle (go figure). Had a burger at Where's Rufus...not too bad. Back in town at Spring Break.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 12/31/12 09:05 PM

You went to the new El Charros, it sucks. Should have went to the old one on Erwin.
Posted By: matt117

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 12/31/12 10:40 PM

Bernards for steak or Kiepersol.
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 01/11/13 11:59 AM

Mario's for Italian.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 01/11/13 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: troberts
Mario's for Italian.

Ha! Just last night I tried to talk the missus into trying Marios for the first time. But once again, we went to Chuys, her fave (don't ask me why).

For lunch, everyone should try the buffet at Loggins Restaurant on Glenwood. That place has been serving up good home cooking for decades. Heisman winner Johnny Manzeil's mother is a Loggins, and the old restaurant is emblazoned with Manzeil and Aggie memorabilia. Johnny's grandfather, Jerry Loggins, shot the bull with us just last week when we were there.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 01/11/13 01:47 PM

Drove right by it a few weeks ago and it was packed...I will definitely hit it next time. It's not fare from my youngest son's house.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 01/11/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Mario's for Italian.

Ha! Just last night I tried to talk the missus into trying Marios for the first time. But once again, we went to Chuys, her fave (don't ask me why).

For lunch, everyone should try the buffet at Loggins Restaurant on Glenwood. That place has been serving up good home cooking for decades. Heisman winner Johnny Manzeil's mother is a Loggins, and the old restaurant is emblazoned with Manzeil and Aggie memorabilia. Johnny's grandfather, Jerry Loggins, shot the bull with us just last week when we were there.
Been eatting at Loggins for as long as I can remember (42 years). Jerry lived next to my mom until she moved last year for a long long time. Have fished with him quite a few times, Jerry is good people and one heck of a nice guy.
Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 01/15/13 02:56 AM

went to Stanley's Pit BBQ today for the second time... it was very very good.... brisket was moist, smokey and falling apart... well smoked.... and pulled poke was excellent too
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 09/16/13 02:47 AM

Mario's for Italian.

Have you had a chance to eat there yet dawaba?
Posted By: chearn99

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 09/16/13 10:44 PM

Ricks on the square has a crawfish stuffed filet that is very good as well as the augratin potatoes.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 09/17/13 01:39 AM

Prefer the Grilled Tuna at Ricks. Medium Rare with a side a turnip greens. Yum!

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 09/17/13 12:01 PM

Mario's for Italian.

Have you had a chance to eat there yet dawaba?

Yes, we finally ate at Marios with my brother and his wife. We were underwhelmed by the fare and the service. It was standard Italian, nothing more.

I still like Brunos best in Tyler. That said, it's worth the drive to Henderson for the food and ambience at Sal's.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 03/29/17 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Mario's for Italian.

Been eatting at Loggins for as long as I can remember (42 years). Jerry lived next to my mom until she moved last year for a long long time. Have fished with him quite a few times, Jerry is good people and one heck of a nice guy.

I moved out here in 2012 and have been eating at Loggins ever since. Jerry is a good guy.

Apparently today is 'national mom and pop restaurant day' so CBS 19 is doing a short story on Loggins at 6pm this evening. Being a 'regular' Jerry asked me to be interviewed for the restaurant. I did the best I could, so check it out if your in the area.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 03/29/17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: White Falcon

I think the crawfish Shack's mud bugs are not that great and way overpriced. I only tried it once. I lived on lake Palestine for 5 years and liked the Purple Pig ok. The best ribs are off 31 before you get to Kilgore. I'll agree there isn't a good steakhouse in TYLER. If I wanted top quality beef I bought my steaks at the Noonday store and cooked them myself. I never did find a great Mex place to eat. I would recommend you stay away from any of the Jalapeño Trees. Mercados is not bad.

Being from west Texas I never did get used to all of the Pine trees and always felt boxed in. I hope I never live east of the Metroplex again. It's too far from a wild quail. The only thing I miss about east Texas is the fishing and it was great. I took up duck and squirrel hunting but quit deer hunting while I lived out there.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/10/17 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Mario's for Italian.

I moved out here in 2012 and have been eating at Loggins ever since. Jerry is a good guy.

Apparently today is 'national mom and pop restaurant day' so CBS 19 is doing a short story on Loggins at 6pm this evening. Being a 'regular' Jerry asked me to be interviewed for the restaurant. I did the best I could, so check it out if your in the area.

We ate there today. Pretty dang good. Sweet 'taters some of the best ever.
Posted By: Etex

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/11/17 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: White Falcon

X2. Circle M
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/11/17 01:43 PM

Bernards for steak

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/15/17 03:00 AM

Going back to Loggins Tue. food
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/18/17 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Cool Mo D
Going back to Loggins Tue. food

I like their mexican food day on Thursdays. They make a pretty good carne guisada.

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/19/17 01:54 AM

I made a hand there today!! banana

Re: Calling out the Tyler Boys - 04/21/17 01:45 AM

Anyone in the area tried Jake's BBQ on 64W?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum