Texas Hunting Forum

Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford

Posted By: stinkbelly

Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/09/18 01:21 PM

Wayne (WAL1809) of Snakebreaker.com will be at my place again on SUNDAY Aug 5 for his famous snake avoidance clinic. He will begin his clinic shortly after sunrise and go until all the dogs are trained. The cost is $100 per dog. He will NOT have the vaccine this year. This clinic will be on the east side of Weatherford (Hudson Oaks). PM me for directions.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/14/18 04:01 AM

Bump
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/16/18 07:27 PM

I will be bringing a young pup for her first introduction to snakes.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/16/18 10:05 PM

At what age can a young pup be sent to snake avoidance? Should the pup be E-Collar savvy?

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/17/18 11:42 AM

If a dog is going to be in a snake environment, they should be trained. Every dog is different. Some learn faster than others. It is more of a maturity level than an age to train. I have seen several just a couple of months old dogs trained.

The dog does not need to be E-collar trained to come to this training. Wayne has trained tons of house dogs that have never seen an E-collar.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/17/18 09:42 PM

Thanks for the information stinkbelly!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/17/18 11:35 PM

I always use avoidance training with skunks. Anytime I see that odd looking point I turn my collar up all the way. It works on some dogs and doesn’t make any difference on others. All will take a step towards that skunk and get hammered. Many will avoid a skunk at all times after that. Some will kill that SOB with all of the juice I have flowing through them, still get sprayed and continue to do so. Pointers are the worst. I’m wondering if snake avoidance is the same way?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/18/18 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I always use avoidance training with skunks. Anytime I see that odd looking point I turn my collar up all the way. It works on some dogs and doesn’t make any difference on others. All will take a step towards that skunk and get hammered. Many will avoid a skunk at all times after that. Some will kill that SOB with all of the juice I have flowing through them, still get sprayed and continue to do so. Pointers are the worst. I’m wondering if snake avoidance is the same way?

I have heard the only ones that can't be broke are the ones who attack the snake when given the stim. However, I've seen some pretty stupid dogs go through it and I wondered if they really got the picture.
Posted By: GMG1

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/21/18 08:55 PM

I need to try to make this!

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/22/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: GMG1
I need to try to make this!

I sent you directions
Posted By: nak

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/23/18 08:59 PM

There is another snake avoidance clinic in Southeast Dallas this Saturday ... I think it is being run by the German Shorthair Pointer Club. It should still be on the first page

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/24/18 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: nak
There is another snake avoidance clinic in Southeast Dallas this Saturday ... I think it is being run by the German Shorthair Pointer Club. It should still be on the first page

There may be another one, but it isn't Wayne's. Nobody trains them like Wayne.

I had someone else train my younger DD the first time. She went after a rattler later that year. I had Wayne train her the next year and she is trained. She lets me know when snakes are in the area. I have her rechecked every year and she won't go near them.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/30/18 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: stinkbelly

I had someone else train my younger DD the first time. She went after a rattler later that year. I had Wayne train her the next year and she is trained. She lets me know when snakes are in the area. I have her rechecked every year and she won't go near them.

If you're talking about Izzy, she makes me look like a rockstar of a trainer. I swear you couldn't throw her on a snake.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/30/18 08:54 PM

Wayne trained my black and white GSP last year at your place...he made the remark that the first time she didn't act like she had the collar on! But he got her trained...last Saturday, the same thing as your experience...she was having nothing to do with the snakes...she'll put me between her and the snake when she finds one....easy to tell what the deal is when that happens.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 07/31/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

If you're talking about Izzy, she makes me look like a rockstar of a trainer. I swear you couldn't throw her on a snake.

Yes. I am talking about Izzy. I know if there is a snake long before I see it with her around.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/01/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: rjf1911

Wayne trained my black and white GSP last year at your place...he made the remark that the first time she didn't act like she had the collar on! But he got her trained...last Saturday, the same thing as your experience...she was having nothing to do with the snakes...she'll put me between her and the snake when she finds one....easy to tell what the deal is when that happens.

I love and never tire of hearing the success stories!
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/01/18 06:41 PM

Is this just a show up deal or do I need to pre register or something?

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/01/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Is this just a show up deal or do I need to pre register or something?

We have a list of people coming, but it is first come first served on Sunday.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/03/18 01:19 AM

I sent you a PM. Would like to bring my Pudelpointer.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/03/18 04:11 AM

Wayne, are you up for a challenge? I know you've seen a pic of my foster failure. If I brought him out, I'd aim to show up last, as he's got some aggression issues towards dogs he doesnt know. He's not great with strangers, but will generally submit to an Alpha type. He spends very little time on a leash, mostly because you can't hardly find him more than 10 feet from me at any given time, but he does mind when he's on one. I'd just be concerned about his reaction when he receives the training and I'm not the one on the other end of the rope. He's a great dog with me and mine, but just doesn't know what to do with himself around a lot of activity.

I'd like to have him trained, but if you'd rather not take the chance, I understand. Years ago I came out to your place in a yellow FJ Cruiser with my dogs Bacchus and Shadow. Sadly, Bach is no longer with us, but I'd like to run Shadow through a refresher and see if he needs a reminder.

Here's my fosturd. He's a big boy, and could prove to be a hand full. Totally up to you, no hard feelings.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/03/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I sent you a PM. Would like to bring my Pudelpointer.

Bring him. I am sending you directions.

He will start shortly after sunrise. Sunrise is about 6:50am so depending upon the light he should be starting shortly after 7.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/03/18 05:44 PM

Shotgun Willie bring him on out. Come when you want but when all the dogs are gone we will get your pup out. What aggression base does he have, fear, alpha ect? I dont want his aggression to get in the way of his learning. Dogs are so one dimensional, if he is occupied with aggression he won't get the full effects of the training. More than likely we will all disappear around the corner while you take him to the snake. I can be well away from him and give it to him at the right time.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/03/18 06:13 PM

He does a lot better with men than women for some reason. He'll sometimes growl at new folks, but I'm pretty well convinced that it's a fear response. Once he gets settled in a new situation he's fine. Aloof, but fine.

Keep in mind, I pulled him from a death sentence at two years old, so I've got very little frame of reference outside of his time with me. He may love clowns and hate cake for all I know.

If he gets to acting up too much, I'll just put him back in the truck and we can give Shadow a go.

I appreciate you giving him a chance.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/04/18 09:45 PM

Wayne you need to go easy on my girl Tara tomorrow, she is sensitive girl. How high you turn it up? Never mind I don't want to know!! scared bolt

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/05/18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
He does a lot better with men than women for some reason. He'll sometimes growl at new folks, but I'm pretty well convinced that it's a fear response. Once he gets settled in a new situation he's fine. Aloof, but fine.

Keep in mind, I pulled him from a death sentence at two years old, so I've got very little frame of reference outside of his time with me. He may love clowns and hate cake for all I know.

If he gets to acting up too much, I'll just put him back in the truck and we can give Shadow a go.

I appreciate you giving him a chance.

He won't be my first aggression rodeo, hell I'm married wife

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/05/18 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Wayne you need to go easy on my girl Tara tomorrow, she is sensitive girl. How high you turn it up? Never mind I don't want to know!! scared bolt

I'll turn in way down Guy bolt

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/05/18 04:33 PM

This was another great training day. Lots of good dogs and the weather was great.

I rechecked Izzy and she is still snake trained after all these years.

Somebody left a chair behind. If you left it here let me know I put it inside the building.

Thank you everyone.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/05/18 04:57 PM

Thank you both for what you did, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I was glad to see Cooner didn't act a fool in a strange situation. Aside from his apparent disdain for goats. LOL.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/05/18 05:06 PM

Great training session with Wayne, and well organizes by Stinkbelly. It didn't take Tara long to learn these guys are bad news.

Common get it...

Gotcha!
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/06/18 03:46 PM

Was a good clinic as always.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 01:42 PM

Wayne, are you up for a challenge? I know you've seen a pic of my foster failure. If I brought him out, I'd aim to show up last, as he's got some aggression issues towards dogs he doesnt know. He's not great with strangers, but will generally submit to an Alpha type. He spends very little time on a leash, mostly because you can't hardly find him more than 10 feet from me at any given time, but he does mind when he's on one. I'd just be concerned about his reaction when he receives the training and I'm not the one on the other end of the rope. He's a great dog with me and mine, but just doesn't know what to do with himself around a lot of activity.

I'd like to have him trained, but if you'd rather not take the chance, I understand. Years ago I came out to your place in a yellow FJ Cruiser with my dogs Bacchus and Shadow. Sadly, Bach is no longer with us, but I'd like to run Shadow through a refresher and see if he needs a reminder.

Here's my fosturd. He's a big boy, and could prove to be a hand full. Totally up to you, no hard feelings.

Old shotgun Willie's sidekick did very well. HE was a very quick students that is for sure. After the training he was very vocal, growling and barking at the snake, but he kept a huge distance between them. Thank you Shotgun Willie for coming out. Thank you to all my clients.

Oh so far as aggressive dogs. This could be good information for people that don't know. Keep the dog well enough away from anyone on the first meeting. Turn you back to the dog and just shake the owner's hand. This has worked dozens upon dozens of times for me. I would put Shotgun W's dog in a fear based aggression category. AS soon as we shook hands, his eyes were off of me and looking everywhere but me for the next threat. He never gave me a lick of trouble. Now the there is a proprietary trick as to how to be close to a fear based aggression dog while juicing him with electricity. The threat for a mauling is absolutely real. You just got to be slightly smarter and faster than the dog clap

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Great training session with Wayne, and well organizes by Stinkbelly. It didn't take Tara long to learn these guys are bad news.

Common get it...

Gotcha!

Tara got it faster than we recognized. We kept trying to test her to see if she got it, when all the while that first shot did it. I didn't see that first shot as optimal. Sometimes timing on my part can be off. Apparently it wasn't off as she got it down.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 01:47 PM

This was another great training day. Lots of good dogs and the weather was great.

I rechecked Izzy and she is still snake trained after all these years.

Somebody left a chair behind. If you left it here let me know I put it inside the building.

Thank you everyone.

I am a complete moron for not thinking about filing Izzy's performance a decade after being trained. As soon as she got the first of the three senses, she locked up and went right back the other way. She was 10 yards from the snake. I am impressed with her.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 03:57 PM

Old shotgun Willie's sidekick did very well. HE was a very quick students that is for sure. After the training he was very vocal, growling and barking at the snake, but he kept a huge distance between them. Thank you Shotgun Willie for coming out. Thank you to all my clients.

Oh so far as aggressive dogs. This could be good information for people that don't know. Keep the dog well enough away from anyone on the first meeting. Turn you back to the dog and just shake the owner's hand. This has worked dozens upon dozens of times for me. I would put Shotgun W's dog in a fear based aggression category. AS soon as we shook hands, his eyes were off of me and looking everywhere but me for the next threat. He never gave me a lick of trouble. Now the there is a proprietary trick as to how to be close to a fear based aggression dog while juicing him with electricity. The threat for a mauling is absolutely real. You just got to be slightly smarter and faster than the dog clap

Thanks again Wayne. On the one hand I'm glad I got there after the other dogs had gone, on the other I hate that I kept you and the missus later than you had planned. I hope she got to feeling better.

Thanks for taking the time with him. Every experience like this helps to work his history out of him, and make him a better dog.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 07:18 PM

Thanks again Wayne. On the one hand I'm glad I got there after the other dogs had gone, on the other I hate that I kept you and the missus later than you had planned. I hope she got to feeling better.

Thanks for taking the time with him. Every experience like this helps to work his history out of him, and make him a better dog.

I got into this business because I felt like the trainer teaching my dog ripped me off. If ever I get to where I don't appreciate a client, its time to pack it in. I knew you had driven a long way. My bride is good, thank you for asking.

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Was a good clinic as always.

Thank you Sir.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/07/18 11:55 PM

Wayne, thanks for putting my Pudelpointer Cricket through your clinic. I enjoyed watching the process and seeing Cricket immediately hip to the lesson at hand. Well done!

Re: Snake Avoidance Training - August 5 - Weatherford - 08/08/18 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Wayne, thanks for putting my Pudelpointer Cricket through your clinic. I enjoyed watching the process and seeing Cricket immediately hip to the lesson at hand. Well done!

Cricket is one slick looking dog, another quick learner as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum