Texas Hunting Forum

Small Framed Lab

Posted By: wacoducks

Small Framed Lab - 06/15/18 05:40 PM

Looking into a small framed lab only around 50lbs full grown. Was curious if anyone had any input on benefits of disadvantages of them.
Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/15/18 05:55 PM

Are you looking at a started dog or a puppy and are you looking for a male or female?
If you're buying a puppy, it's kind of a crap shoot as to what you get.
I can't thinking of any real negatives or positives of a small dog vs a large dog other than room and just physical presence on the couch/house or boat or a duck blind.
Typically, smaller dogs have a longer life expectancy, but again, that's a crap shoot on the overall health of a dog.
Posted By: wacoducks

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/15/18 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
Are you looking at a started dog or a puppy and are you looking for a male or female?
If you're buying a puppy, it's kind of a crap shoot as to what you get.
I can't thinking of any real negatives or positives of a small dog vs a large dog other than room and just physical presence on the couch/house or boat or a duck blind.
Typically, smaller dogs have a longer life expectancy, but again, that's a crap shoot on the overall health of a dog.

I am looking at a started female right now sorry I should've been more clear with that in the initial post.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/15/18 08:06 PM

Most field bred females are under 60lbs and many around 50.

I don't see any real disadvantages to a lab around the 50 lb range. They can do anything the bigger dogs can do.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a dog in that weight range. I wouldn't consider my females small and they are all between 50-60 lbs.

I have seen some 35-45 lbs but even those can handle pretty much anything as well but the standard is 55 lbs so I would try to stay around that weight.

Posted By: nate33

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/16/18 03:47 PM

The only real difference I am aware of ( regarding size) is smaller dogs eat less. So they are cheaper to maintain.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/17/18 11:26 AM

I have a 57lb female , she has retrieved birds in 10 different states from teal to giant geese. No problems at all, even sand hill cranes. I think being small framed also helps out in NE & SD pheasant hunting.
Posted By: Buckshot54

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/18/18 12:58 PM

I have a 3yr old 53lb choc bitch that is very well bred (Bayou Chopper/Ten Bears) and she is nothing short of remarkable. Best dog I've ever owned. I was searching for a small frame and got lucky with the last of a litter. I am pretty sure she was the runt although I never saw the complete litter.

The only clear advantage to owning a large frame Lab would be if you hunted big river water with strong currents. Or if you just preferred a large dog.

I wouldn't take anything for my little girl.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/18/18 01:36 PM

I have one friend with a 48 lb female and another with a 55 lb male that is very thin. The only issues with both dogs was the extreme cold. You could put neoprene vests on them and it still wouldn't matter. You could hear their teeth chattering the entire hunt.

How much of a problem is it? I don't really know as when it gets really cold (no more than a hunt or 2 a year) we just leave his dog at home and use mine as the only dog for those hunts.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Small Framed Lab - 06/21/18 02:44 PM

Check into British Labs, they tend to run smaller
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum