Texas Hunting Forum

GPS/E Collar Combos

Posted By: rowdydog1

GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/01/18 06:04 PM

I put this in the upland hunting forum but I thought I'd ask here as well.

What are the best options? What has been you're experience with your unit?
Posted By: nak

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/02/18 05:20 AM

All of they guys I hunt with have the same Garmin collars and Alpha 100 that I do. Great range, great features, but too complicated and too hard to read in the field for old eyes. All my buddies consider it an evil necessity.

All that changed when my wife bought be the watch !!! banana happy3 clap woot

It totally change my mind about Garmin. Even with three dogs out, its easy to read. No more worrying about the screen lock and that annoying beeping when you accidental touch it. No more wearing bi-focals in the field to tell when my dog is. Once the hunt starts, I never look at or touch the alpha, unless I need to correct my dog, and I can do that without looking at it. A quick look at the watch, without shifting my gun to the other hand, is all it takes. cheerleader
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/02/18 08:23 PM

What watch do you speak of?
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/03/18 11:38 PM

Curious about the watch also.....
Posted By: nak

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/04/18 12:09 AM

GARMIN FENIX 3 GPS WATCH

Syncs to the Alpha 100 with Bluetooth.

Displays up to three dogs (or other Alpha 100s) at a time. Shows the direction and the distance.
Even with three displayed, it is MUCH easier to read than the Alpha when it is displaying multiple dogs.
It also vibrates and beeps for the Dog Alerts, such as point or leaving the preset distance.

It does the same stupid auto-switch between Feet, Yards, and Miles that the Alpha does. mad

Amazon Link

The best info on the net is at Gun Dog Supply, but Steve is only carrying the newer, more expensive model.
Gun Dog Supply Fenix 5 (More expensive)
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/04/18 01:03 AM

Thanks, I already have a Garmin vivoactive hr, wonder if it could work with that.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/14/18 07:52 PM

I have the Garmin Fenix 5 which will work with my Alpha or 430 but I use my handheld for tracking my dogs. I do wear the Fenix 5 when hunting so that I can track Barometic pressure which greatly affects scenting conditions. When you are trailing lions, it can be an all day track. If the pressure drops to low, trailing is almost impossible unless the dogs are really close to the game.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: catslayer

Re: GPS/E Collar Combos - 02/17/18 02:01 AM

Alpha and t-15 mini for me
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum