Texas Hunting Forum

Dog boots

Posted By: Old Hickory

Dog boots - 12/15/17 11:50 AM

Checking on y'alls opinions on dog boots or duct tape. I'm headed to an area with sand spurs in a couple of weeks and trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on some Lewis dog boots or just stick to duct tape.
Posted By: Triple7

Re: Dog boots - 12/15/17 03:00 PM

I have never used either on my dogs, but my yellow got a huge thorn in his paw earlier this season. I'll watch for educated opinions.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Dog boots - 12/15/17 04:07 PM

Go with the Lewis Boots...DO NOT USE DUCT TAPE. If you don't want to spring on the Lewis Boots, buy some cheap bicycle inner tubes and make some boots.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Dog boots - 12/15/17 06:44 PM

Motorcycle inner tube is what I use. YouTube is your friend.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Dog boots - 12/15/17 08:53 PM

My vote is for motorcycle inner tubes. Made a big difference in my hunt in the sand hills this year.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dog boots - 12/15/17 09:47 PM

Don't go barefooted in your motel room.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Dog boots - 12/15/17 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Don't go barefooted in your motel room.
roflmao
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Dog boots - 12/16/17 01:04 AM

I like the LEWIS boots. I’ll usually only boot a dog on the front feet when they get to where they can’t run. I have had to boot dogs every day, at least on the front when hunting public NM land every year. This year the grassburs weren’t bad enough to boot up and there weren’t many bird either.
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: Dog boots - 12/18/17 03:10 PM

Motorcycle inner tube works great for me and use medical tape and wrap!!!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dog boots - 12/18/17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Motorcycle inner tube is what I use. YouTube is your friend.

me too.
front paws only.
works.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Dog boots - 12/18/17 11:06 PM

I use Lewis boots for rocks. Sand burs I use dogbooties.com. 1,000 denier. Dog booties are a whole lot easier to put on if your new to dog boots
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dog boots - 12/19/17 01:11 AM

These look pretty good....

Posted By: nak

Re: Dog boots - 12/19/17 01:23 AM

Many, many years ago, I used motorcycle innertubes.
Today I have converted to Lewis boots, but I always carry an innertube and some duct tape in my vest, in case a dog throws a boot. I have only lost one Lewis boot and that was because it was put on when the rubber was wet, and the boot pulled off the boot.

The dogs never seem to notice them in the field. It takes less than 5 minutes to boot em. Even if burrs are not too bad, I really notice a difference in how the dog runs the second day.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dog boots - 12/19/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
These look pretty good....

A guy at a NSTRA trial said that he had used baby shoes and they worked fine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum