Texas Hunting Forum

Puppy exposure

Posted By: txfireman2004

Puppy exposure - 11/25/17 03:44 PM

I've got a young GSP pup that is getting trained up on pigeons and planted quail, but I keep hearing that it is crucial for a dog to get wild bird exposure that first year in order to make a decent dog. I'm relatively new to upland hunting, but I plan on making at least a half dozen trips this Jan/Feb. I can't afford a lease or a club, so I'm looking to get out on some public land. For this first year I'd really like to stay somewhat close. Where is the best place to go within a few hrs of the metroplex? I keep getting conflicting advice. My plan is to hit The texas panhandle(Matador) and SW Oklahoma (Black Kettle). Maybe even far west Texas????? Just wanting to get him on some birds. I know Kansas and New Mexico are supposed to be amazing, but its a little far for this first season. Where should I go?
Posted By: Michael Wilson

Re: Puppy exposure - 11/27/17 01:18 AM

Matador maybe fine. Don't waist your time on the small public tracks around Post TX.
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Puppy exposure - 11/27/17 01:36 PM

Just got back last night from Matador yesterday. Hunted Saturday And 1/2 day Sunday. Jumped 4 coveys. Anywhere from 10 to 20 birds. Horrible scenting conditions. But saw alot of whitetail and mule deer and some wild turkeys.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum