Texas Hunting Forum

Puppy with old dog?

Posted By: tenyearsgone

Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 04:11 AM

What's it like? Getting a lab puppy on Monday so our 10 year old lab can have a buddy. His sister was put down back in June.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 04:41 PM

Don't favor the pup. Protect it if you have to but not t the point of being mean to the older dog. They will work out the dominance and relationship. Just make sure the senior dog gets plenty of individual attention.
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 06:55 PM

Just got a 2.5 year old, he has a lot of energy and gets along great with my 7.5 year old.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 07:56 PM

Go for it. The puppy will make the old dog like it.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 08:01 PM

My older dog didn't like it. Make sure to watch them to make sure the old dog doesn't get harassed more then he wants.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 08:49 PM

The dynamics will mostly depend on the old dog. Some are more tolerant than others. The puppy will likely do whatever it can get away with and wart the piss out of the old dog until it is checked.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/18/17 09:55 PM

I've currently got a 12 year old a 2 year old and 10 week old.

12 year old lays around and looks at the other two like they are idiots. She's a very laid back dog with not one ounce of aggression. I do not worry about her with puppies or other dogs. She just ignores them or gets away from them.

My two year old is just a big puppy herself and loves to play. I do lot let her and my 10 week old play unsupervised. The first reason is my 10 week old is never unsupervised out of her crate anyway but I just have to keep my two year old from getting to excited and running her over or something.

You want the puppy to bond with you so you need to make sure you have plenty of one on one time but it's good for the pup to interact with older dogs as long as the older dog isn't to rough or aggressive.

Currently I try and keep my pup and 2 year old separated except for some supervised play seesions once or twice a day. When she gets older I'll let them out together more.

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/22/17 01:03 AM

Day 1 went as good as one could expect. The old one had to put her in her place a couple times, but nothing serious. He's happier though.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/22/17 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
Day 1 went as good as one could expect. The old one had to put her in her place a couple times, but nothing serious. He's happier though.

See?
Posted By: Triple7

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/27/17 08:26 PM

I have a 14yr old and a 2 yr old. The pup knocking over the old timer is really the only issue we have had. They even rough house and my old timer will usually end up laying on the ground just growling and getting the young one as he jumps around.

Re: Puppy with old dog? - 11/28/17 12:28 PM

She's learning that my old lab doesn't like to be nipped at constantly, so things are a little better.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum