Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting with a diabetic dog

Posted By: MS1454

Hunting with a diabetic dog - 10/20/17 02:58 PM

Recently my dog had been diagnosed with diabetes so am wondering how this can affect him hunting. Is there certain feeding schedules you follow? Can I expect as much energy wise? He is not fat or not active so he does not need to loose weight.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hunting with a diabetic dog - 10/20/17 05:13 PM

The more he works the more carbs he will need. D stick to find out his BS level is while hunting.

White bread might be easy to feed in the field, sugar gel packs will spike his BS but won't last long, but I would have some on hand in case he got to low.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Hunting with a diabetic dog - 10/20/17 05:17 PM

Good information thanks.
Posted By: TBirdFF4

Re: Hunting with a diabetic dog - 10/23/17 02:54 AM

Diabetic Dogs tend to develop cataracts very quickly. My dad's pup was diagnosed with diabetes around 2 1/2 months ago. Began developing cataracts in his right eye a week and a half ago, and is now completely blind. Not saying it's a given, but its something to be wary of.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Hunting with a diabetic dog - 11/07/17 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: TBirdFF4
Diabetic Dogs tend to develop cataracts very quickly. My dad's pup was diagnosed with diabetes around 2 1/2 months ago. Began developing cataracts in his right eye a week and a half ago, and is now completely blind. Not saying it's a given, but its something to be wary of.

Most will have cataracts within a year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum