Texas Hunting Forum

Alligators

Posted By: yakinthebox

Alligators - 10/12/17 09:07 PM

I hunt in SouthEast Texas. There are still plenty of gators about during the first split. Would y'all suggest leaving the dog at home altogether or is it not usually a real problem. In my head, a dog after a duck would be an easy target for an alligator.

Maybe I'll hunt the bay more in the first split. But then again, the bay doesn't usually hold birds as good until the second split!

What to do?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Alligators - 10/12/17 09:22 PM

I have one in the pond In my back yard.

I also have a Yorkie.

It makes me uneasy.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Alligators - 10/12/17 11:21 PM

Bill,
You need to get a gator tag
Posted By: oaktreeplanter

Re: Alligators - 10/13/17 07:00 PM

I'm glad we don't have gators here. The snakes are bad enough...

Re: Alligators - 10/13/17 08:49 PM

No South Texas hunters wanna chime in?
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Alligators - 10/13/17 10:06 PM

It's like hunting around snakes. You make the benefit to risk call based on what you see and know about the location as well as weather and water temp. I have walked up to a pond snipe hunting and see 5 Gators sunning on a warm January day and passed it by, but also ran my dog early season in a marsh known for Gators because I felt it safe due to an overcast and very cold day. Like snakes, they never really go away.

Re: Alligators - 10/16/17 02:03 PM

Thanks Sniper! I hunt out near the coast near anahuac and galveston areas. Gators are around. I too have seen them in January. I've just never hunted with my dog before.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Alligators - 10/16/17 02:06 PM

Gators are in any large body of water from you to the red river... and people hunt dogs in them every year
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Alligators - 10/16/17 02:20 PM

There are some spots that are more of a threat than others... i have a lease i wouldnt send a dog in anything less than degrees... even though under 65 is when they are suppose to go lethargic.. can find others that state warmer than that..

Re: Alligators - 10/17/17 09:25 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I'm new to hunting with a retriever, but not new to duck hunting. I know first hand there are plenty of gators around where I hunt.

Re: Alligators - 10/18/17 12:31 AM

I snipe hunted here. It was a warm day. Dog stayed on leash. There are at least three gators visible on land. More than that are in the water but it's a where's waldo kind of thing to find them with all the ducks and grebes.

Same WMA the day after. Windy overcast and below freezing. Dog was used for all retrieves across water with no worries.

Re: Alligators - 10/18/17 12:41 AM

If you ever hunt along Catfish Creek near Palestine, know that there are gators in that little creek that can swallow your dog in one bite.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Alligators - 10/18/17 01:09 AM

Dang, that is a lot of luggage! eek2

I never seen an alligator hunting, if I did I be moonwalking out of there, with my dog!

Re: Alligators - 10/18/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
If you ever hunt along Catfish Creek near Palestine, know that there are gators in that little creek that can swallow your dog in one bite.

WOW!!!
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Alligators - 10/18/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Yep, catfish creek borders my place. Gators get into our pond every year, not to mention the ones in the bottom
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum