Texas Hunting Forum

couple ???'s for the hound folks...

Posted By: Daven

couple ???'s for the hound folks... - 10/10/17 07:22 PM

Hey folks.... Been a while.. Have a ??? or ten..

Anyone have a hound (or any other dog) for the purpose of blood trailing? Man trailing, etc....

If so, assuming it doesn't see everyday action, what can you use it for so that it can stay busy without screwing up the original training/purpose?

Reason for the question...
I just picked up (last week) a Bavarian Mountain Hound puppy. She is 10 weeks old now and doing fine... Her number one job is company while hunting, doing chores, watching TV... etc... Last thing I want is a "hunting dog" that has to be constantly on the go... Don't want her trailing every track she comes across.. Only want her to follow a blood trail if necessary.. but can't see her getting much work in that area...
What else could she use her nose for that wouldn't make a hunter (game runner) out of her?
any creative ideas? I thought about sheds and mushrooms, but not sure how you would go about training and if it would screw anything up.
any tips appreciated... Gotta justify keepin this kid around yaknow....
Posted By: oaktreeplanter

Re: couple ???'s for the hound folks... - 10/13/17 07:02 PM

It seems to me that the more things you do with a dog the better they just keep on getting. I wouldn't be afraid to try anything with her that seemed reasonable.
Posted By: Daven

Re: couple ???'s for the hound folks... - 10/14/17 07:21 PM

I'll just let her hang out with whatever I am doing then and see what she likes to do.... she seems happy enough just watching TV and hanging out with me... maybe all she needs...
Thanks..
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: couple ???'s for the hound folks... - 10/15/17 10:28 PM

Teach her to pick a cold trail on real hot women, super good looks with body to melt lava, with a 4 wheel drive truck and nice boat.
woot
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum