Texas Hunting Forum

Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog

Posted By: polishpreacher

Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/26/17 03:38 PM

More of a discussion than asking for help on something. I am curious what the strangest breed you have seen being used as a gun dog out in the field is.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/26/17 04:14 PM

Poodle hands down. They can do the work.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/26/17 06:25 PM

Poodles are pretty common and Ive see a few even at hunt tests.

The strangest I've personally seen and I've also hunted with is my brother-in-law's Irish Terrier.

He dove hunts with her. She's about 3 years old now. She is has all the natural terrier characteristics and is very curious. Loves to chase squirrels and such. He force fetched her and even though she's not a natural retriever she does well as a dove dog. She has as much desire or more as the poodles I've seen. He is trying to teach her to handle but it's definitely tough. All in all a great little dog and more than adequate dove dog.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/26/17 08:28 PM

I was shocked to see a huge poodle the first time hunting in Kansas.
Posted By: polishpreacher

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/26/17 10:03 PM

I have always gotten giggles thinking about training something like a great dane to be a gun dog for ducks or geese just thinking of watching them running after the game.....doves would almost be swallowed, so it would have to be larger birds....i have also thought about something like catahoula who has drive, but for different kinds of game and how interesting it would be to actually see....lol
Posted By: Carson M

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 01:34 AM

I have pheasant hunted behind and Afghan Hound before!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 03:30 AM

Couple of seasons back I saw a Blue Heeler fetching dove in Woodson at one of Puddins fields.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 11:17 AM

An old neighbor of mine at Lake Texoma trained his Border Collie to find & retrieve doves & ducks or anything else the guy shot...water retrieves were the hardest to teach and got "noisy"'cause the dog did not want to follow the guys hand signals to take a direction, but to take the most sensible to him route, and swam as well as any dog I've ever seen.

Dog was smarter than the owner for sure, and afflicted with a pure no nonsense hard nosed get it done ASFASTASPOSSIBLE attitude, like eveything else he did.
Ron
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 03:32 PM

Someone on here(migratory section) had a pit bull that was a retriever. Anybody remember who that was?
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 04:53 PM

Did not see this personally, but the first Blue Lacy I ever heard of, was being used to retrieve quail. I had to look it up to see that it was really a breed.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Carson M
I have pheasant hunted behind and Afghan Hound before!

I think your in the lead, a born to chase sight hound... pointing??? How was that?

The border collie a close second... dogs are STUPID smart. Id love to see him work
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 05:16 PM

Yeah I've seen a big ole poodle during Dove season a couple years ago and was shocked how good that dog fetched up the birds.
Posted By: moosehntr

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 08:18 PM

I watched a big, square headed, crazy eyed catahoula retrieve dove and quail....and then turn around and bite someone. Crazy dog. He was a good blood tracking dog as well, just made sure not to get between him and the deer.
Posted By: Texasphez

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/27/17 11:56 PM

An old buddy of mine had a whippet that we would take pheasant hunting! Dog did real good, stayed at a good range, was very obedient, and worked cover good. That is unless he found a rabbit, if so it was off to races, with 0 chance of reeling him in!
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/28/17 11:56 AM

A trainer I have used in Mississippi, wife had a Jack Russel that rode with him on the ATV to take the client dogs to the field. He learned thru just watching. The Jack kinda learned thru osmosis. Wound up being a decent duck dog.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/28/17 12:39 PM

Poodles were used as hunting dogs before they were wusseyfied by show people. Like the Irish Setter some are trying to breed the hunt back into them.
BTW, can you say wusseyfied on this forum? confused2
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/28/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Blanco
A trainer I have used in Mississippi, wife had a Jack Russel that rode with him on the ATV to take the client dogs to the field. He learned thru just watching. The Jack kinda learned thru osmosis. Wound up being a decent duck dog.
This guy was a decent retriever if the grass wasn't too high. Definitely no quit in that little fellow. He'd make 100 yard retrieves across a plowed field as fast those little legs would go. Looked like a Tasmanian Devil in the cartoons stirring up the dust.

Posted By: Mundo

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 07/28/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted By: Blanco
This guy was a decent retriever if the grass wasn't too high. Definitely no quit in that little fellow. He'd make 100 yard retrieves across a plowed field as fast those little legs would go. Looked like a Tasmanian Devil in the cartoons stirring up the dust.

Saw a guide in Hebbronville using a Jack R. for a retriever--sed he never missed a bird.
I'd worry about them around snakes. I suspect they are difficult to snake train. Knew a trainer who would not try to snake break Jack Russels because one immediately killed his best snake when he encountered it.

Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 08/04/17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Someone on here(migratory section) had a pit bull that was a retriever. Anybody remember who that was?

Ol' Cuervo, the duckiest pit bull you have ever seen! Owned by kdub.

He's a mix, but definitely has some pit. Cuervo that is, not kdub...
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 08/05/17 03:10 AM

I have a buddy out here that has a jack Russel that will retrieve doves all day.
Will only bring them back to him.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 08/18/17 07:41 PM

I know a guy that has a labradoodle that he hunts. Dog must do pretty decent, he hauls him all over the country every year chasing the migration.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Strangest Breed Seen as Gun Dog - 08/18/17 11:11 PM

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum