Texas Hunting Forum

Black Water Creek Retrievers

Posted By: jbf19

Black Water Creek Retrievers - 06/20/17 01:46 AM

Anyone have thoughts (good or bad) on Black Water Creek Retrievers in Long Branch Texas? I'm seriously considering getting a started lab from Mike Hufdman there. I'm looking for a family pet and hunting companion (mainly dove hunting). Also, anything specific I should be looking for or asking? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: triggerbowtx

Re: Black Water Creek Retrievers - 06/22/17 05:06 PM

No experience with them.

You should ask if the dog has all of the health clearances, and if it's a young dog they might not have any but should have record of the parents health certs.

"started dog" means different things to different people. I would ask them what 'started' means to them. You can come back here and ask questions about what they said.

I would also ask why he is selling the started dog. Sometimes people keep pups to train and then sell them as started dogs, sometimes the dogs are washouts. Please note that a "washout" can mean many different things to different people. Some dogs that are washouts might be the best damn hunting dog you have ever seen...but the dog maybe just did not have the right amount of some characteristic to be successful in field trials. Sometimes a dog may be a "washout" because it has no interest in birds. In that case, probably not the dog for you.

Some questions I would ask...

Why are you selling?
Tell me about the dogs prey drive.
Is the dog steady?
What is the dogs temperament?
Has the dog ever hunted before?
Has the dog ever lived inside a house or always in a kennel?
How is the dog with other dogs? Children?

Just do your research and go see the dog in person.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Black Water Creek Retrievers - 06/23/17 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: triggerbowtx
No experience with them.

You should ask if the dog has all of the health clearances, and if it's a young dog they might not have any but should have record of the parents health certs.

"started dog" means different things to different people. I would ask them what 'started' means to them. You can come back here and ask questions about what they said.

I would also ask why he is selling the started dog. Sometimes people keep pups to train and then sell them as started dogs, sometimes the dogs are washouts. Please note that a "washout" can mean many different things to different people. Some dogs that are washouts might be the best damn hunting dog you have ever seen...but the dog maybe just did not have the right amount of some characteristic to be successful in field trials. Sometimes a dog may be a "washout" because it has no interest in birds. In that case, probably not the dog for you.

Some questions I would ask...

Why are you selling?
Tell me about the dogs prey drive.
Is the dog steady?
What is the dogs temperament?
Has the dog ever hunted before?
Has the dog ever lived inside a house or always in a kennel?
How is the dog with other dogs? Children?

Just do your research and go see the dog in person.

Great Advise! up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum