Texas Hunting Forum

Old Tom by Gene Hill

Posted By: Choctaw

Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 01:51 PM

A very good if short story.

Old Tom
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 01:55 PM

it aint never easy. Thanks for sharing that.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 02:27 PM

Man, that will kick you right in the gut every time. Thanks.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 02:42 PM

Although Mr. Hill passed years ago, he is still my favorite outdoor writer because I can relate to most everything he wrote. His self-effacing style of writing is refreshing when compared to so many chest-beating yahoos.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Although Mr. Hill passed years ago, he is still my favorite outdoor writer because I can relate to most everything he wrote. His self-effacing style of writing is refreshing when compared to so many chest-beating yahoos.

Well put.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 04:41 PM

We all know Old Tom.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/24/17 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Well put.

Count me in.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/25/17 01:04 AM

Dang that hurts all over again. I miss a bunch of them reading that.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/25/17 01:52 AM

I held Cookie as she slipped away ant told her that her that there would be a covey under every bush.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/25/17 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I held Cookie as she slipped away ant told her that her that there would be a covey under every bush.

It's good that you did that, and I think most on this forum would. But I know there are people out there that just send their dog back with the vet and don't go with. I'll never understand that. They've been there for us, we need to be there for them. I guarantee no dog wants to be surrounded by complete strangers as it passes from this world.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/25/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill
[quote}It's good that you did that, and I think most on this forum would. But I know there are people out there that just send their dog back with the vet and don't go with. I'll never understand that. They've been there for us, we need to be there for them. I guarantee no dog wants to be surrounded by complete strangers as it passes from this world.

One of those people will be posting shortly, Oh! it's just a dog!
My dogs are family My BIL just put his 15YO lab down, the man is close to 80, he still cries.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/25/17 03:24 PM

There is nothing (short of human relationships) like the connection between a man and his dog. Especially his bird dog. My only regret is that I have come to know that fully (relatively) late in the game.

Jenny is a part of me now and always will be. She gives so much and asks so little. I do not like to think about the day she will leave me. (If it happens that way.)
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/27/17 02:03 AM

The great Gene Hill is my favorite as well, probably for the same reasons laid out by Choctaw, above. I had not read "Old Tom" prior to this thread.

Afterwards, I had to reread Cory Ford's "The Road to Tinkhamtown". I read it many years ago, but it didn't seem to have the same effect it did on me when I read the story as a seventy year old.

Both stories will bring a tear to a glass eye!
Posted By: angler management

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/27/17 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: duckbill

It's good that you did that, and I think most on this forum would. But I know there are people out there that just send their dog back with the vet and don't go with. I'll never understand that. They've been there for us, we need to be there for them. I guarantee no dog wants to be surrounded by complete strangers as it passes from this world.

2 of the 3 labs I had to have put down (and it was because of age and/or health problems) I did myself. Doc gave me 2 syringes and we did it in the living room. They were happy and pain free when the left us, but we suffered for awhile. I sure miss Jethro and Cass, but it was for the best. I love the Lord with all my heart but I'll never understand why He didn't program dogs to live 60 or 70 years. Would've made it alot easier on us guys that train our own dogs.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/27/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: angler management

2 of the 3 labs I had to have put down (and it was because of age and/or health problems) I did myself. Doc gave me 2 syringes and we did it in the living room. They were happy and pain free when the left us, but we suffered for awhile. I sure miss Jethro and Cass, but it was for the best. I love the Lord with all my heart but I'll never understand why He didn't program dogs to live 60 or 70 years. Would've made it alot easier on us guys that train our own dogs.
My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/28/17 12:14 AM

I've written this before and I wish I remembered where I saw it but someone wrote he would rather replace his shotguns every ten to fifteen years than his dogs
Posted By: Okiedog

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/30/17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I've written this before and I wish I remembered where I saw it but someone wrote he would rather replace his shotguns every ten to fifteen years than his dogs

Ain't that a fact!
Posted By: kindall

Re: Old Tom by Gene Hill - 05/31/17 03:44 AM

Its the very last thing we can do for them.
My daughter, and I held Lucy close until the vet said "She's crossed over."
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum