Texas Hunting Forum

Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders

Posted By: BradyBuck

Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/14/17 12:40 AM

I'm doimg some early research on studs for Kimber provided she passes all health certs and earns her HRCH by this time next year.

If I was to choose a tri-factored stud there is the possibility of having some yellow factored chocolate pups. These pups in turn could produce NBP or dudley pups if bred to tri-factored black, yellow factored choc or choc factored yellow dogs.

Would it be considered irresponsible to produce pups that are yellow factored chocolates?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/14/17 01:57 AM

I don't know what a yellow factored chocolate dudley dog is, but if they'll fetch a bird what difference does it make?

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/14/17 04:40 AM

A dudley or NBP (no black pigment) is a yellow lab with no black pigment in their nose and around thier eyes.
It's only undesirable in the show ring and some say they are prone to getting sun burned. Most people looking to buy a lab to run in HTs would probably steer clear. They'll hunt just the same
Posted By: jeffro3967

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/14/17 02:41 PM

Why bother with a tri-factored stud? There are tons of black, black-chocolate factored and chocolate studs out there that have all the accomplishments and pedigree you could ask for. Retrievertrainingforum.net has a recent topic with a list of chocolate and chocolate factored blacks in it. I have a chocolate female as well that I'll be breeding later this year and have used that list to help me decide on a stud.

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/15/17 05:20 PM

Just a thought and wondering. I have two studs at the top of the list and one is all choc and the other all black.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/19/17 02:29 PM

Its not irresponsible to do it, just less hunters want that combination when looking for a pup.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/27/17 04:31 PM

One thing to consider is what are you long term goals. They say it takes 4-5 generations to really establish your own line. Just because you end up with a few puppies with undesired traits doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't still pick that stud. There are modern methods of 'culling' such as spay/neuter or selling without full breeding rights if you think those certain dogs shouldn't be bred in the future.

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 04/27/17 08:26 PM

Thanks

I thought I wanted to find at least a chocolate factored stud just for the sake of expanding my market so I'd have both chocolate and black puppies. However, the two studs I keep coming back to are all black and all choc. I wouldn't choose I stud on color alone but if all other things were equal I would use color as the tie breaker.

SRS GRHRCH Punch's Click Click Boom MH MNH (Black)

GRHRCH Tiger's Come on Home Boy MH (chocolate)

So I'm looking at an all black chocolate factored litter or all chocolate litter.

Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 05/13/17 07:39 PM

I have a 'Dudley' from BradyBuck and he is a fantastic dog. Unending retrieving drive, desire to please, quiet in the blind (other than breathing loud sometimes), great with kids and other dogs (even when they're aggressive towards them he ignores them, just wants to retrieve things). Summary is I don't see why a pink nose and mouth would be an undesirable trait.

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 05/14/17 03:41 AM

Exbellicus, I'm glad you like him. I'm thankful all those pups were healthy, went to good homes and ended up being good dogs. I was ignorant at the time of all the things that should be done before deciding to breed.

I'm glad you are enjoying him and I know several of his litter mates and they are all good dogs.

Scooby would have been my pick of the litter and I thought he was the best looking even with the pink nose.

Are they 8 years old now?
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 05/14/17 11:01 AM

I'm thinking they were born mid-late December 2008. For some reason Dec 15th stands out in my head. Does that sound right? I know I picked him up on the way back from a February 09 hog hunt.
Posted By: jeffro3967

Re: Yellow Factored Chocolate? For lab breeders - 05/17/17 01:24 PM

I saw Trigger up close this passed weekend running the SRS, definitely a talented dog.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum