Texas Hunting Forum

Getting my draht to like the water again.

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Getting my draht to like the water again. - 03/19/17 12:22 AM

Now that we have a lot more daylight I'm able to work the dogs everyday. My 1.25 yr old draht used to like the water but now she won't do a single water retrieve? Any of y'all experience this, and if so how did y'all cure it?
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Getting my draht to like the water again. - 03/19/17 10:34 PM

Is this a Drahthaar ?
No I have never had this problem.
You might try shallow water put your boots on and walk into the water away from the dog far enough it should follow, carry a bumper with you.
HAS THE DOG BEEN FORCED FETCH BROKE ? Forrest
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Getting my draht to like the water again. - 03/20/17 11:02 AM

I rescued a DD when he was about 5 years old. He was scared to death of water. He loved to retrieve tennis balls. I took him with my other DD to the local lake and walked in with him. If he wanted to play he had to join us. He came right in and we played. We didn't do retrieves or train, we played. Now I can't keep him out of water.

If it is too cold for you to walk in, get a second dog and tie yours up on the bank. Make her watch the other dog have fun. Once it looks like she can't take it any more, send her for one. Quit before she is done so she will want more next time. Make it fun and not training.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Getting my draht to like the water again. - 03/20/17 11:50 AM

Hi Forrest, Yes she is a drahthaar. And she has been forced fetched and I lucked out that she has a very very soft mouth.

I had the idea of taking her to the beach and playing when it gets a bit warmer. Surfside is about 15 min away.

Thanks for the advice fellas.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Getting my draht to like the water again. - 03/21/17 03:04 AM

Strange, I have had Drahthaars since 1980 and never seen one not love the water.
That is good advice stinkbelly gave you. Forrest
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum